Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Can I just ask, is there a consensus here that we go with the current racoon? Or does someone want a totally different mascot?

I haven't seen any alternative suggestions recently in this thread.
It's been a fairly small group of us discussing this. I'm sure plenty of people don't really care one way or the other, but we might get more input if someone posted to Planet Maemo.

To be honest, the raccoon is too cutesy/commonplace for my taste, and it's not exactly a popular animal (in places where they live). They eat garbage and maim people's pets.

Also, I think there's something to be said for having a mascot be a more unusual/memorable animal. I much prefer my narwhal idea but maybe qole and I are the only ones.

Last edited by ian_ryge; 2009-05-15 at 21:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ian_ryge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
Also, I think there's something to be said for having a mascot be a more unusual/memorable animal. I much prefer my narwhal idea but maybe qole and I are the only ones.
While I'm not opposed to the raccoon... I would definitely vote narwhal

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
OK, we'll have a vote some time next week on all the suggestions. (If that's okay... sorry, didn't want to sound like that was my decision, just thought someone should organise something.)

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I actually don't have any preferences at this point. The "tube sock of the whale family" would be an easy plushie to make, though!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
OK, we'll have a vote some time next week on all the suggestions. (If that's okay... sorry, didn't want to sound like that was my decision, just thought someone should organise something.)
Is this official? or unofficial? Council???

If this is official, there should probably be submission location, and it should be raised to higher visibility. Additionally there would need to be some time to allow people a week or two to come up with some ideas submissions. This should not be decided by a few people in a thread, after a week.

If this is an unofficial mascot, I still want to finish my owl, so can we vote like in a week?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
Raccoons are known carriers of rabies, canine distemper, encephalitis, histoplasmosis, trypanosomiasis, coccidiosis, toxoplasmosis, tularemia, tuberculosis, listeriosis, leptospirosis, roundworms and mange. They are also infested with fleas, ticks, lice and mites which are known transmitters of disease. Children and pets are particularly at risk.

Narwhals, meanwhile, are known to be made of win.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to finite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
How about we just shoot the raccoon.

I definitely need more time to make something else.

Man I just got him where I really liked him too..

http://www.minix3.org/

And personally, I DONT WANT A NARWHAL

I much prefer no logo to a Narwhal
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-15 at 22:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Is this official? or unofficial? Council???

If this is official, there should probably be submission location, and it should be raised to higher visibility. Additionally there would need to be some time to allow people a week or two to come up with some ideas submissions. This should not be decided by a few people in a thread, after a week.

If this is an unofficial mascot, I still want to finish my owl, so can we vote like in a week?
Not official at all, AFAIK this whole process is all just for fun. :-)

Of course if someone in a position of some kind of authority wants to make this official...

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA

I haven't seen any alternative suggestions recently in this thread.
I'm OK with the raccoon, even if they make me fear for my cat and made me modify the cat door since they used to come in and eat her food. I think I preferred the raccoon with one eye shut, which disappeared from the drawings a while ago.

I'm OK with the narwhal, too. Probably prefer it. Anyone want to do more drawings of it?

But I wonder, Stupid Little Genius, if you have any inclination to try your hand at the woodpecker.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by finite View Post
Raccoons are known carriers of rabies, canine distemper, encephalitis, histoplasmosis, trypanosomiasis, coccidiosis, toxoplasmosis, tularemia, tuberculosis, listeriosis, leptospirosis, roundworms and mange. They are also infested with fleas, ticks, lice and mites which are known transmitters of disease. Children and pets are particularly at risk.
just like my n800

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:

Tags
don't forget opabinia, maemo, maemo.org, mascot, vote armadillo lizard!