Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Indeed and in teh people app once you are online you can tap on the little globe icon and see all the contacts who are also online and available.
I think all online people should be visible on top in the People app all the time! Now in both the People and message app show old messages on the first page :/ why? So People app should show only online friends on top and contacts under the letters / search. PLEASE, clean that up. I use lots of time to find all my online friends at the first time. That Globe icon is useless and not so handy. Friend should not be hidden

Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
You want to root an Android simulation? Nice...
I will try another formulation - from what I've read "to use XPrivacy with the XPosed Framework you'd normally have to root the phone first".
How does this work on Sailfish with AlienDalvik as it's Android simulation?
Answers from theory/knowledge/try outs are very welcome.
Thanks

Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
I will try another formulation - from what I've read "to use XPrivacy with the XPosed Framework you'd normally have to root the phone first".
How does this work on Sailfish with AlienDalvik as it's Android simulation?
Answers from theory/knowledge/try outs are very welcome.
Thanks
I would say you don't need to care about rooting as you have root on your Jolla.

Originally Posted by att View Post
It is mounted all the time when it is in its place, so it is risky to remove it when the phone is powered on.

If the phone happens to be writing to the card (applications writing, updating metadata, updating access times) when removing it, there is a real risk of corrupting the file system or the flash itself.

So I wouldn't do it live, but if you want to live on the edge
On N900, this was handled by automatically unmounting the SD card when the back cover is removed.
Not a bad idea for N900, but with the Other Half concept not really feasible since you are supposed to switch other halfs on the fly according to your mood/needs/whatsoever and shouldn't be cut off from access to your SD card during that process...

Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
On N900, this was handled by automatically unmounting the SD card when the back cover is removed.
Not a bad idea for N900, but with the Other Half concept not really feasible since you are supposed to switch other halfs on the fly according to your mood/needs/whatsoever and shouldn't be cut off from access to your SD card during that process...
Actually, this isn't a bad idea... even for the other half... mount/unmount. I like it.

Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
I think all online people should be visible on top in the People app all the time! Now in both the People and message app show old messages on the first page :/ why? So People app should show only online friends on top and contacts under the letters / search. PLEASE, clean that up. I use lots of time to find all my online friends at the first time. That Globe icon is useless and not so handy. Friend should not be hidden
I'd appreciate this functionality also. The globe button appears to be gray and not functional on my phone. For some reason facebook icon in precence details is always gray, whereas gtalk stays green. I'm in home wlan and facebook is logged in. Anyone else having same problem?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
I agree with the fact that USB mass -storage is usually more useful. However the mounting point is not moot as you state, neither is adding a FAT translation layer trivial. If it al was as simple as you state it would already be done.
Oh, do not get me wrong - I didn't say it was trivial, I was more ranting on why hasn't been done yet (fully aware that if it was bothering me so much I should've done something about it, mind you), and not in Nemo but in the general Linux pipeline, specifically ext4. I ranted back when it was just an idea that journaling system on ext4 is purely a grift and that all the effort spent on the ext4 was wasted as it didn't really bring any major improvement. Oh, well...

Now I'm just advocating a bit of a mind-shift as our devices are becoming increasingly portable, including volatile and non-volatile storage, and with the current look on things we have to sacrifice either convenience or speed to use them. The problem of multiprocess memory access has been solved a long time ago, it just needs a good implementation within the FS and the storage media. Not trivial, but certainly doable.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
True, tho at least cache flush could be performed when the cover is taken off, and write cache could be kept off until the OH is placed back - certainly wouldn't solve all problems but should dramatically decrease memory corruption for users who are not careful and thoughtful enough to unmount the card before removing it.

Originally Posted by _Routser View Post
I'd appreciate this functionality also. The globe button appears to be gray and not functional on my phone. For some reason facebook icon in precence details is always gray, whereas gtalk stays green. I'm in home wlan and facebook is logged in. Anyone else having same problem?
That's something I didn't like with the N9 - you could sort alphabetically or by status, but if you did the latter, you could no longer scroll the letters on the right quick-scroll pane as Meego wouldn't know whether you'd like to jump through the online or offline letters (does Sailfish even have that scollpane?) I usually have many more offline than online contacts, so it's a PITA to scoll through them when sorting by status.

Not sure how to solve that, except some heuristics which figure out if one status is > 70% than the other and then have "Online / Away / A / B / C / D..:" or so as quick scroll-pane. Or maybe just do it always like that assuming people have more online than offline contacts and be done with it.

Sorry for the rambling...

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Maybe no-brainer for some, but tried anyway with 50/50 exceptation:
Plug USB-cable to netbook running Ubuntu 13.04: not possible to use Jolla's 3G-network.

On N9 plugging the USB-cable to the same PC network "just works" without further settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience