Originally Posted by qole View Post
Biggest dissapointment? Some dickhead leaked this stuff, now opponents of this project within Nokia are going to say, 'Told you so, this open development stuff is too insecure!' and the blame-hammer's going to start swinging in bad directions.

Maybe the leaker was one of these opponents. We've-been framed!
Or, as Tex suggested, maybe an intentional leak. To keep everyone from blowing their 2009 handheld-device budget on a Pre, Android, or next model iPhone.

As to my thoughts about the specs:

Size: Screen size change doesn't really bother me, since they kept the resolution -- I just wish they'd kept it 4" with the new pixel density for 960x540ish. Overall, no point shrinking it, and there's things they could have done with that extra space.
On the plus side, it seems they made it thicker instead of sacrificing features to shrink the face -- they "only" compromised the screen and input.

No D-pad at all?!?!?! I thought the N810 was a step down. Will someone have to write an X input driver to use the accelerometer as a D-pad, or is there some nuance not shown here? Maybe one of the mystery circles is a pointing/scrolling device...

T-mobile 3G, and T-mobile launch: While I'd have bet on this before, I didn't really believe it. Very good news

GSM voice: Main thing is that it does have the GSM bands for GPRS/EDGE, so it's not HSPA only. For voice proper, I don't really mind, but I won't likely use it much. I guess it does mean 911 calls, which is theoretically useful.

Rendering: 2 keys less than the N810 keyboard are shown. We've got left and right shift, but that still means one key is gone. If I had to remove one key, I'd vote Enter (you can use the d-pad select, right?), but since they changed other stuff I wouldn't have, I'm guessing it's a modifier or punctuation. (After all, the iPhone runs UNIX, and gets along fine with no Ctrl key, why can't we! )

This does mean no D-pad, menu key, home, or escape are visible. Also no power, lock, fullscreen, zoom in/out, but we wouldn't see those from this angle; here's hoping some of the others are similarly concealed around corners, or not bothered drawing...

Overall impression vs. N810: It actually came out pretty decent -- the storage, processing, and graphics advances seem to make up for the few, but major, steps backward (screen and buttons), and (for me) the networkiness should be a nice improvement. The camera will be pretty cool too, I guess. With all the "if you like 770->N800->N810 trajectory" comments, I guess it's about what I was expecting. I'm so addicted I'll probably buy it shortly after launch anyway, but I'll be real happy if there turns out to be another model about N800 size with a five-row slideout, even for 30% more.

(Honestly, it says a lot about the N800, released over two years ago, that even though this new device is definitely in the top tier of new hardware, we're still seeing it as being a step downward in many ways. I just wish they could come out with something that's as awesome today as the N800 was back then, instead of just staying in the top tier.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
"In the box: Connectivity cable, headset, charger, battery (1320 mAh), Video-out cable, microUSB adaptor, cleaning cloth"

Does the connectivity cable mean tv out?

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
I donīt think they really dropped the d-pad completly. At least some kind of cursor keys should be there. If itīs really not there then the Hildon developers and the Modest developers are developing using a false asumption.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...ay/054991.html

In short this this thread tells you, that if you use a text view inside a pannable area (scroll with fingers) you cannot select text using your fingers or stylus. Thus youīll have to use the keyboard to select text.
Now, how do you select text using a keyboard without some kind of cursor keys???

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by conny View Post
I donīt think they really dropped the d-pad completly. At least some kind of cursor keys should be there. If itīs really not there then the Hildon developers and the Modest developers are developing using a false asumption.
Perrrrrfect! Now we can start filing new Modest bugs before it is released!

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Do I get it right that the coming n900 will have a 1400 mAh battery? Pandora has 4000 mAhs with virtually the same hardware + bigger screen + better keyboard. I'm disappointed.
Edit: + microSD....

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Are you sure they dont have another version?
It's fairly certain that they do. The RX-51 was always referred to as the "lead device" and recent Fremantle kernels include configs for an RX-71 model. Except I thought RX-51 was the tablet and RX-71 the phone...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Everything looks great. I'm not thrilled about the 3.5" screen, but I'd like to see for myself how big of a difference .5" makes when reading small fonts. Other than that, it sounds like we have a real winner here. With 32GB of internal flash, 5MP camera, etc anyone know how much this device will cost? I'm thinking $500+? Wasn't the N810 $480 list when it was released?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to st5150 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
I'm sure it is not successor of 810. If on the other hand it is, it is not for me

The Following User Says Thank You to mrp For This Useful Post:
The biggest deal I see is the 1 gig of virtual memory to keep the 3d wiz bang graphics flowing smoothly. The N810 had 128mb w/ 128mb extended on the card, didn't it?

That is essentially a 4x increase in ram in a device with 30-40 percent more processing power. It should be quite zippy on the GUI end, akin to iphone smooth transitions (not that I care about having that) -for those who never used a 770-800-n810, the RX-51 will sell itself well. I eagerly await the RX-71 leaks......

Also, if the 3.5 inch screen model retains the packaging and look of the N810, what will the other maemo device(s) look like? ...the mind boggles here.......

dcarter

You can have 1GB (or even more) virtual memory today. It won't improve performance by much (if at all). The 256MB of ram, on the other hand are really a great improvement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile