Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I guess the title says it all but, seeing that there is some Qt (WRT?) development that may support Maemo4 (http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt) my question is if it will be possible to get and install Qt on an N8x0 device and by doing so being able to run Qt based apps developed for Maemo5/Meego?

Will PyQt allow for the same Qt apps to run on N8x0?
Sorry, not my area of expertise at all so just trying to learn more.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-09-13 at 20:32.

No. MeeGo apps will use Qt 4.6 initially. Maemo 4 has an earlier version of Qt.

By contrast, the N900 got Qt 4.6 in their last firmware upgrade, and the hope there was that many of the MeeGo apps would run on the N900. This was apparently a big reason why the N900 was so often described as a device that would "benefit" from MeeGo even while Nokia was making no promises to deliver a supported version of MeeGo to the N900.

Stskeeps has talked about getting Qt 4.6 on the N8X0, but I'm pessimistic about that project's chances of happening. Stskeeps has been pretty fragmented over the past year with not a lot of help & I'm guessing he will focus on the "community MeeGo on the N900 project".

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and even if it gets there, it will be fighting for limited space next to the gtk libs needed for the main ui.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
I guess WRT is right out for now, but for "plain" PyQt apps it's not entirely impossible. In fact it depends on :

1) how careful the developer has been to test what platform the app is being run on, and only call the Maemo5-specific APIs when relevant,

2) how many Qt 4.6.x APIs, not present in Qt 4.5.3, are being used.

Twidi's GRead is a good example of this : 1) is well taken care of, and 2) only requires a couple of (not required) code lines to be commented out in the UI source files. After that it is fully functional.

Of course, QT on Maemo4 has not been "Hildonized" to match the platform's UI style the way it has been on Fremantle, so in the best of cases, the app's appearance and usability will not be the same at all...

See the discussion about this with Attila :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61877

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post: