Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
On my side, I consider the recent link announced with that new ''OS'' quite positive.
I was a bit worried about a greater grip that Russia would take on SFOS but now it seems clear that this move means that SFOS will be left independant and that whatever Russia will like to put (thinking about some dirty bits) will be on its specific version.
In the meantime, what will be common between the two OS (which is probably by far the largest share) will be worked together and will then benefit SFOS, including the open-source parts.
It is still unclear though if more of SFOS will be open-sourced: maybe soon... but at least it is still an opened question.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by padmaraj.ravi View Post
@ llelectronics
So what would be the reason for sailfish having to kill apps in the background more frequently than N9 0r N900 even with cleverer fine tuning ?Is it only because of alien dalvik?
It is not a Alien Dalvik problem. It is just a RAM watcher that starts killing apps when a particular limit has been crossed.
This is done to accomplish an always starting telephone app so it would not start excessive swapping or waiting when a call comes in.
It also tries to avoid stuttering and freezing of UI or apps when starting.
This stuttering and hanging is something I can do on N900 and N9 very easily. I also missed some calls on those devices because the telephone app did not came up in time because of swapping and out of memory situations.
Of course as it is Linux you can tweak and tune values and restore the behavior of the N900 & N9 with a few commands (there are plenty threads about it around here and on tjc)

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, but you make it sound like it was the watcher's fault when in fact the watcher is merely a bad cure for a much worse disease. I have also missed calls due to swapping on my N900 when I kept 12(!) apps open for weeks on end. Two of them terminal windows with builds running. The point is the device could handle that. Jolla, with 4 times as much RAM, can't. What the F*** is Jolla doing to waste that much RAM???

You hear clueless voices calling for devices with more RAM. I say throwing more resources at it is not the solution, Sailfish will just swallow them and learn nothing. The only real solution can only be tidying up the code and make it more efficient.

Actually, I maintain that the above paragraph applies in every walk of life, not just software development. Your wife doesn't need more money, she needs to spend less. Your country does not need more power stations, its citizens need to learn to use less energy. We do not need motorways with more lanes, we need fewer cars and more discipline like punishing drivers for unnecessarily staying in the middle lane when the outside lane becomes available. More resources should always be the last solution, not the first.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Throwing in more resources is a solution, not just the one you prefer.

More seriously, Sailfish code does need optimization as it seems quite clear that resource usage is excessive. I'm not sure if it can be done without affecting other developments though, there's a good chance that shifting priority to optimizing will result in backslash about slow development and missing features X,Y and the rest of the alphabet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I agree with all you said except the first line. More resources is a workaround, not a solution

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I agree with all you said except the first line. More resources is a workaround, not a solution
While having more resources can be quite important depending on application, I found I was a much more clever programmer in my younger days when I was in college and our shared workstation didn't have close to the capability of current smartphones.

On a related note, this is sick:

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_note_...news-18188.php

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
More resources is a workaround, not a solution
True.

But if you've got to spend significant resources so that you can use less resources when just adding more resources requires less resources, it's a solution worth resourcing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
True.

But if you've got to spend significant resources so that you can use less resources when just adding more resources requires less resources, it's a solution worth resourcing.
Now that's resourceful thinking!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Yes, but you make it sound like it was the watcher's fault when in fact the watcher is merely a bad cure for a much worse disease. I have also missed calls due to swapping on my N900 when I kept 12(!) apps open for weeks on end. Two of them terminal windows with builds running. The point is the device could handle that. Jolla, with 4 times as much RAM, can't. What the F*** is Jolla doing to waste that much RAM???
Its a different technology and different toolkit that SailfishOS uses. With all its fancy animations, qml, half transparent windows and better caching technologies more RAM is used.
Also keep in mind websites for example and so browsers nowadays tend to use a lot more RAM then it was back then with the n900 and we have more and more technologies integrated like html5 audio/video , webrtc and others.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Two SailfishOS smartphones coming from Russian companies!

Ермак ОМП (ОС Sailfish) Google Translated version

4.5" 1280x720 screen
Double core Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM 8960 @ 1,5 GHz
1Gb Ram
8Gb memory
8Mpix camera
4G LTE
3450 mAh battery with wireless charging

And other phone is Oysters Pacific 4G Silver

Here are the website of Open Mobile Platform company.
http://www.omprussia.ru/index.php There are 3 SailfishOS phones, two above ones and Jolla phone. And apparently user guide for SailfishOS
Attached Images

Last edited by eekkelund; 2016-06-06 at 06:27. Reason: OMP Russia website

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post: