Active Topics

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Is it better to update the phone via updates with Nokia Suite or just do reflashing everytime an update comes out? Also when I first get my phone, should I do what I do with all my computers--re-install/clean install the OS?

-Socrates 469 BC

Let XP install the drivers if it can. That might let the phone know that something recognizes it and so it won't reboot. Or, just wait for the linux stuff.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
just to let u guys know i tryed it on Linux and it didnt work. when i have the device plugged into the USB or power it wil not turn on. the only sign of life is restarting. it cant be this complicated.
it feels like there is only a fagment of the firmware on the device which makes it show little life but not enough for me to flash is. is there any thing else i can try??? any other commands. i cant even get it into flashing mode by holden the 'U'

also nokia still have not got back to me. i think i have been abandened.

Last edited by felbutss; 2009-11-25 at 08:55.

The good news is that I just managed to recover a bricked n900, the bad news is that it seemed to require access to a second one or at least a compatible battery. Ironically my n900 refused to charge in the bricked state and at the same time would not allow flashing unless the battery was charged. (stuck at the waiting for USB part)
Note that I inserted the battery while the phone was connected and the software was in the waiting state.

The simplest solution was of course to use a different battery during the charging process. You might not have the luxury of an extra device available at the moment but as soon as the Nokia care centre gets a few devices it should be fixable. I'm confident it is unbrickable though as it sounds like the exact situation I was in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jensbw For This Useful Post:
I really hope these things become fixed (very) soon, as it's not really acceptable that a device bricks while you're updating/reflashing it (nothing exceptional here), without any easy (possibly usable also by not hardcore geeks ) way to recover it (and I mean bring it to factory defaults, losing every personal data)...
Moreover, it should be possible to recover from such a situation also from Windows, which, like it or not, is used by 90% of the World's population....
Funny stuff also that the Nokia care center has no idea on how to help out..

I like to see people from the community help others anyway, well done!

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jensbw View Post
The good news is that I just managed to recover a bricked n900, the bad news is that it seemed to require access to a second one or at least a compatible battery. Ironically my n900 refused to charge in the bricked state and at the same time would not allow flashing unless the battery was charged. (stuck at the waiting for USB part)
Note that I inserted the battery while the phone was connected and the software was in the waiting state.

The simplest solution was of course to use a different battery during the charging process. You might not have the luxury of an extra device available at the moment but as soon as the Nokia care centre gets a few devices it should be fixable. I'm confident it is unbrickable though as it sounds like the exact situation I was in.
I guess it's also possible to fix the problem by charging the battery with a charging station or directly via a power supply.

ye nokia. help out for once. this is not right. it cant be this hard. one thing i do hand to the iphone is that even a dick can recover it through a few key combinations to put it in recovery mode, and all you select is the firmware.

but then again i hate everything else about the iphone. please nokia help out or at least reply to my emails

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
felbuts, it could be as jensbw suggests - the battery could be dead. That's a catch-22 situation, because the device always runs through the battery (even when connected to a charger), and when charging, even when "off", it's actually booted to a semi-up stage where it can run some software to manage the charging.

However, as far as I know the battery in the N900 is also used in other phones so it should be possible for you to either loan a battery which is charged, or, maybe simpler, get your battery charged in someone's phone (maybe they would be helpful down at that Nokia center).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
guys i have just realised something. when i plug it in. the pc sees the device but then it says there was an error installing drivers. it mentioned flash osx or something. does anyone have the drivers that are built into the phone so i can install them for it?????

i dont think the battery is flat anymore.

im pritty sure now my device really is bricked!

does anybody have the knowledge to explain to me how to do a cold flash????????

i have tryed everything and everything has failed to work. is there a tutorial on the internet, because i cant find one???

Last edited by felbutss; 2009-11-26 at 00:55.

Tags
lack of quality control