Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
And likely, end-user pressure on the third parties will be more effective than pressure on Nokia for non-Nokia components. In other words, Nokia telling the third parties, "Hey, our users want this," will have more meaning if the third parties also hear from actual users who, yes, "want this".
But since both nokia and the third parties already have our money, they won't really care.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It would be very helpful if someone posted some way of doing what sjgadsby suggests. How would we go about contacting these folks and showing our support?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
But since both nokia and the third parties already have our money, they won't really care.
Since Skype, for example, gives away their client and sells service for it, wouldn't they have at least a slightly higher potential for profit from Mer users by having the client on the platform then by not?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Since Skype, for example, gives away their client and sells service for it, wouldn't they have at least a slightly higher potential for profit from Mer users by having the client on the platform then by not?
They distribute the binary themselves, anyway, so there isn't actually a licensing issue with Skype.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qole View Post
It would be very helpful if someone posted some way of doing what sjgadsby suggests. How would we go about contacting these folks and showing our support?
Conventionally, you would set up a non-profit (Mer Foundation, etc.). Contacting people like Skype is easy if you are professional about it. You wouldn't have to show "support"; the Mer Foundation would be in a position to directly license from Skype (or whomever).

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Your accusation seemed to be that Nokia wasn't really helping much, giving 3rd-party stuff as an example. In the end, the decision to allow distribution of the licensed 3rd-party components doesn't belong to Nokia, it belongs to the owners of those 3rd-party components. Nokia's doing what it can to make it happen, but any lack of progress isn't to be blamed on Nokia (as you did).
I didn't accuse Nokia of not really helping much, nor did I blame them for lack of progress. I said "cautious optimisim". Try reading my statements (and statements of others) without any predilection.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I didn't accuse Nokia of not really helping much, nor did I blame them for lack of progress. I said "cautious optimisim". Try reading my statements (and statements of others) without any predilection.
Perhaps GA should have used the word "imply" instead of "accuse".

The bottom line is whatever rights Nokia negotiated for the use of third party code are not transferable.

BTW dude,
Originally Posted by SD69
and statements of others
???

Who are you speaking for?

Originally Posted by SD69
Conventionally, you would set up a non-profit (Mer Foundation, etc.). Contacting people like Skype is easy if you are professional about it.
Are you also a Lawyer? Have you ever tried to negotiate with a corporation for code on behalf of a not for profit or non profit organization having 0 (zero) assets? How did that work out for you?

Just wondering.

Well one can always hope that a presumed future Skype-for-Fremantle would run as-is on Mer-for-omap2. At least that's the sort of thing I'm hoping for (and not just for the closed source stuff).

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Unless it is compiled with optimizations for the newer processor...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Unless it is compiled with optimizations for the newer processor...
There was no new relase since December 2007 and nothing on their forums and bugtrackers suggesting the Maemo port is alive. It seems they had a deal with nokia to provide skype for the N810 and that they did, and not an inch more. They did not manage even say a 'sorry' or 'working on it' for the appaling lack of features (and the faulty ones). So, no messages while talking, no DTMF tones, no file transfer, no video, no cpu idle when idling, and the list goes on... After such a track record, optimizations for a new processor would be nothing short of a miracle (for me).