Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Public links is the only major thing that I miss right now

Thank you for this client and keep up the good work!

Last edited by poka64; 2010-07-28 at 22:55.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
I just downloaded a 46MB file and the progress spinner started but then stopped. All input to DropN900 was ignored. It appeared the program had hung. Eventually the download completed but I think it will be important to let the user know that the program is still working during larger/longer downloads.
Frank
Frank happy to tell you that this issue is now resolved. I can promise that big file DL/UL will be 100% but the UI issue is fixed. This was obvious once I started to look at it. The downloading of the file was threaded, the networking thread was completed when the spinner/app freezed. After this comes the f = open(store_path, "wb"); f = f.write(resp.read()); f.close(). This file I/O was the reason for the freeze. I just made file writing when DL is completed happen in threads also and now the app wont freeze on DLs. The bigger the file downloaded the longer the app freeze time was.

Good stuff, this was bugging the hell out of me why it was happening. Well figured it out quickly once started looking at it.

Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
Public links is the only major thing that I miss right now. Thank you for this client and keep up the good work!
Yup it's already in and working nicely. Just have to wait for the next release on Friday

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by akurtz View Post
Yes, I'd like this as well, but you can do this currently with Pixelpipe's sharing service, as they can upload to Dropbox.
Thank you! Will try. Didn't know pixelpipe supports Dropbox.

Here is a few sneak preview shots of the next release. Taken from scratchbox emulator, hence the /home/jonnenau/ paths and the mouse cursor

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-29 at 06:22.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonnenau View Post
Here is a few sneak preview shots of the next release.
Amazing stuff! I can see the Transfers manager in one of the screenshots, is there a way to see the transfer progress e.g. 3.1MB / 6.4MB Uploaded etc?

Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Amazing stuff! I can see the Transfers manager in one of the screenshots, is there a way to see the transfer progress e.g. 3.1MB / 6.4MB Uploaded etc?
As far as I see it this wont be possible currently with the underlying python libs. Its just one line get that returns the web response, I can show how long it took after its done, but thats about it.

Seems that I would need to re-implement parts of the dropbox python client myself with urllib2 or something that I can make progress callbacks, i suppose its possible at some point. For now I can just say waiting, started, completed/failed Could make a counter for how long it has progressed, starting from 0 sec. Maybe that would bring some info for you. And also the file size.

Alrighty, good 10h work day again. Lots of new code, general bug hunting, random fixes and lots of UI tweaking. Pushes latest code to github http://github.com/jonnenauha/DropN90...efef56415fc2d8 if someone is interested.

Implemented synchronization today. Man this is one sweet feature. You can set your sync path anywhere to your dropbox! I have not decided yet on a few things, gimme some feedback here.

1. When you select a path /MyFolder/Photos to be synced. Should I only sync files in that folder only or recursively search all sub folders also for files. I understand that most would like the sub folders also. I think keeping it to that paths files only would make sense, and not roam deeper.

2. Do you want upload sync? How many of you think this would be necessary? There are few problems with upload sync.
The download folder where sync is done is the apps default data folder. This means when you manually download items from other places in dropbox to your default location, those files would now be pushed in the next sync as duplicates to your sync path to dropbox. The cleanest way would be to make a new non configurable sync folder to your device. You could not put manual downloads here to mix things up, I would suggest /home/user/MyDocs/DropN900-Sync or something similar. I can start making the upload sync once I have tought of it more, currently its only download sync and works beautifully.

3. Do we really need timer based sync? I already have this in the UI and config, but now that I think about it more. If you can just pop the menu down and hit "Sync" in 1 seconds do you really need automated sync with some time interval. You know best when you have changes in your sync location and can sync manually then.

I guess thats all. Hope you are not disappointed too much that its only download sync in the release. Uploading will be a bit more work and planning if we want it.

Jaykie: Added file size and duration of download counter to the transfers. Also sync downloads are clearly separated from manual downloads/uploads.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Jaykie: Added file size and duration of download counter to the transfers. Also sync downloads are clearly separated from manual downloads/uploads.
Thanks Jonne! What about adding that sync icon on top of the upload/download arrow, of course much smaller icon, this way information on right would be neatly aligned to right always
Or is this sync icon acting as a button of some kind?
Here's a quick mock-up to illustrate the idea:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaykie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Thanks Jonne! What about adding that sync icon on top of the upload/download arrow, of course much smaller icon, this way information on right would be neatly aligned to right always
Or is this sync icon acting as a button of some kind?...
Very nice idea, thank you. My gimp skills are not that sharp but got something similar to your example done If you have more graphics ideas keep em coming, I can provide all DropN900 graphics if needed.

Few more tweaks and I'm ready to release...

Edit: put in file type icons also for transfers

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-30 at 12:11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Hi jonnenau,

1 - I would say include sub folders as my own personal preference.

2 - I would say yes to upload sync, I don't plan on using the default folder download so no conflict there. Once sync is in place, not much of a reason to initiate as many downloads from the tablet, I would be more inclined to do so from the desktop. Unless I'm looking for something specific which means I'm less likely to want it in the default download location.

3 - I myself don't plan on using timed sync. My dropbox files change infrequently, it's not worth it on the tablet's battery unless maybe you could do a neat only sync when charging and wifi is present, now that would be ideal.

Hope this helps,
Frank

1. When you select a path /MyFolder/Photos to be synced. Should I only sync files in that folder only or recursively search all sub folders also for files. I understand that most would like the sub folders also. I think keeping it to that paths files only would make sense, and not roam deeper.

2. Do you want upload sync? How many of you think this would be necessary? There are few problems with upload sync.
The download folder where sync is done is the apps default data folder. This means when you manually download items from other places in dropbox to your default location, those files would now be pushed in the next sync as duplicates to your sync path to dropbox. The cleanest way would be to make a new non configurable sync folder to your device. You could not put manual downloads here to mix things up, I would suggest /home/user/MyDocs/DropN900-Sync or something similar. I can start making the upload sync once I have tought of it more, currently its only download sync and works beautifully.

3. Do we really need timer based sync? I already have this in the UI and config, but now that I think about it more. If you can just pop the menu down and hit "Sync" in 1 seconds do you really need automated sync with some time interval. You know best when you have changes in your sync location and can sync manually then.