Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
I remember Nokia talking somehing about porting 2008 to "the one and only real internettablet" 770. Any rumours about that? Any ideas whether it is of any use to wait for 2008 or is it simply too much for 770?

It's 'planned' so they say. But I'm sure Nokia has it sitting on the back burner.

Here's another thread talking about it.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10857

They just released 2008 (Chinnok) HE for the 770 today. See http://maemo.org/midcom-permalink-a5...ed42d754965496 for the official announcement. Warning they say that it is really pushing the hardware to the limit and some stuff doesn't work at all.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
damn... dunno though. sounds rather horrific.

I'll post my results later...

Translated into English the words on Maemo mean:
Chinook on the 770 is a proof of concept only, you should simply forget it.

I really liked my 770, but seen from today, it's underpowered,
as it was when it was introduced,
and the OS (2005,2006,..) never was really stable.

What the heck, my 770 is hardly used since I got my n800 so I installed. First thing so far is wireless won't connect to my work access point. I don't know if it is the 770 or work. 2008 does run on it though, that much I can say.

Bluetooth internet connection on my sprint 6700 works fine.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
so does wireless work then?

I have to wait until I get home to check my access point, the one at work doesn't want to allow me to connect. Bluetooth does work. I also can't connect via usb to my computer to transfer files. When browsing, the screen does not stutter like on my n800 when scrolling down on the screen. This would be an improvement over my n800.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
so does wireless work then?
yes, no problem, at least WPA-PSK

My first impressions
- I'm actually surprised and impressed that it works
- it is not that much slow (i hope it will be better when copied to mmc)
- memory is a problem, this is expected as microb eats 128 MB on N8x0 too. echo 60 >/proc/sys/vm/swappiness helps with oom killer but swaps more

I hope they won't ditch it, first version of OS2007 and first HE version based on it was quite slow too. And this one is not based on latest 2.2007.50-2 OS2008 firmware. Also I hope some optimizations will be done in later OS2008 releases and HE will benefit from it.

Even if this may be not preferred system for all 770 users, it can be used for running something available only for chinook or as a base for slimmed down or some customized one purpose system (created with Chinook SDK). Many thanks for this.

EDIT: Also one issue found - speaker sound is too quiet on my device.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-02-14 at 21:12.