Active Topics

Notices

Games forum has been pretty slow lately, so here's something new, erm almost new because other game is from 1984

Variations on Rockdodger

VoR is a quick action game where you drive a space ship and try to avoid crashing into rocks. This is a fairly hard game, intended to be a quickie game for when you want to kill a few spare minutes.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/vor/

Sopwith

Sopwith is one of the first games that I have ever played. Graphics and sound are pretty horrid to today's standards, but at least you get authenticity But it's still fun game, at least for me

I was pretty lazy on this, so if you want to start network play with N800 you have to do it from xterm with
Code:
sopwith -j <ip.addess>
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/sopwith/

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
watch out with sopwith, its loud!

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
I think it would be alot of fun if there was just a dog fighting portion of Sopwith. I just like flying around fighting the other planes. Also it would be nice to configure the buttons. Flying above the buildings on either side of the mountains causes the game to crash . . . lol.

Last edited by Andyschism; 2009-02-11 at 23:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andyschism For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andyschism View Post
I think it would be alot of fun if there was just a dog fighting portion of Sopwith. I just like flying around fighting the other planes. Also it would be nice to configure the buttons. Flying above the buildings on either side of the mountains causes the game to crash . . . lol.
Well you can just ignore the buildings and fly around Can you really crash the game when flying above the rightmost building? I could only crash the game when flying left side.

There is also Sopwith 3, which could be closer to what are looking for. I haven't yet tried it even with pc.

http://sopwith3.sourceforge.net/

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Well you can just ignore the buildings and fly around Can you really crash the game when flying above the rightmost building? I could only crash the game when flying left side.

There is also Sopwith 3, which could be closer to what are looking for. I haven't yet tried it even with pc.

http://sopwith3.sourceforge.net/
Yes I do ignore the buildings and just fly around . I've actually crashed the game doing it on both sides (i'm quiet the daring ace), then I noticed that the sound continued to play after the game crashed.

Could we get Sopwith 3 on OS2008?

I love Rock Dodger, most fun and challenging game I've played on the N900 thus far. The record on my phone is @ 2:54.8 but that record belongs to a friend. The best I've done is 2:52

Thank you for the game.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I remember having hours of fun with sopwith in the school computer lab. Ah, memories.

Renamed thread to indicate OSes for games. I'll also add these two to the sticky, categorized as action.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by tso View Post
watch out with sopwith, its loud!
loud?? I get no sound on N900 w/ latest f/ware

I was instantly hooked on this game, except key config and sound would be great - such carnage!!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hey, fix your sig, it forces the forum into horizontal scrolling!

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hey, fix your sig, it forces the forum into horizontal scrolling!
my bad my monitor is huge

Tags
rockdodger, sopwith, vor