The permissions to MyDocs files changed this morning to root without my authorization. I don't have root access set up on the system without flashing to R & D Mode (really I thought it would prevent this kinda tampering). Any idea about commands to change the permissions back to a lower level user? My usb port's broken and I don't seem to be able to use the flasher.

The Following User Says Thank You to bradvesp For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
MyDocs is FAT by default ... so i wouldn't worry about permissions. What problem is it causing you?

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You don't need R&D to get root access. Just install rootsh. But what do you mean your permissions changed? How did you find out?

The most likely cause is a file system corruption. The OS then mounts the volume as read only, giving only root the write access. Since MyDocs is FAT, the usual remedy is attaching it to a Windows PC in Mass Storage mode and running a disk check on the PC. You could try fsck on the phone but that is less likely to guarantee a success. In some cases it may make the situation worse.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
MyDocs is FAT by default ... so i wouldn't worry about permissions. What problem is it causing you?
I wasn't able to save anything to the folders there.
It seemed to have fixed itself. Maybe after turning the N900 off to change the battery. The permissions read as user:root. It was root:root for a time.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You don't need R&D to get root access. Just install rootsh. But what do you mean your permissions changed? How did you find out?

The most likely cause is a file system corruption. The OS then mounts the volume as read only, giving only root the write access. Since MyDocs is FAT, the usual remedy is attaching it to a Windows PC in Mass Storage mode and running a disk check on the PC. You could try fsck on the phone but that is less likely to guarantee a success. In some cases it may make the situation worse.
I think that's exactly what happened. I've assumed the corruption was cause by someone trying to tamper with it, tunnel into it, reset permissions, or otherwise access it.
Yeah, I recall now something about FAT systems not having permissions. I downloaded software called "Hamster Filer" that gives the following file details: Name, Size, Modified, Owner, Permissions. I was wrong when I've stated "permissions". The details I've mentioned were listed as "Owner".

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bradvesp View Post
I've assumed the corruption was cause by someone trying to tamper with it, tunnel into it, reset permissions, or otherwise access it.
Although remotely possible, it is highly unlikely. The most common cause of FS corruption is an unclean interruption of a write operation. A sudden shutdown or reboot - or a surprise removal of a USB storage. That is why you have to remove cleanly. A dodgy USB port can easily cause problems like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Although remotely possible, it is highly unlikely. The most common cause of FS corruption is an unclean interruption of a write operation. A sudden shutdown or reboot - or a surprise removal of a USB storage. That is why you have to remove cleanly. A dodgy USB port can easily cause problems like this.
Thanks for the info.
Before it happened I was downloading a file from a fairly reputable organization via WiFi. So, the problem wasn't caused by a usb issue. I've downloaded files from there before without any problems.
I'm concerned the problem was cause at the local level (at the WiFi router in my apartment).