Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Hi, really want to get into Sailfish OS, happy Nokia N810, N900 and N9 user in the past.

Have a Nokia N9, is it possible to get OS 2.0 on that, or else thinking of getting Intex Aqua Fish, that comes with Sailfish OS 2.0 out the box.

But is there no premium solution, seems to be budget phones that comes with Sailfish OS, maybe a way to get the OS on a more premium Android phone?

Any help is appreciated.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
I suppose opinions will vary among users, but as a current owner of a Jolla1, if my Jolla1 got broken beyond repair, I would possibly try to get a second hand Jolla1, failing that, it'd be an Intex Aquafish - you'd be right in stating that there isn't a premium solution, but to be honest, there has yet to be an official premium offering.

I haven't played with any other devices regarding ported versions of SailfishOs, so I cannot comment on that.

The JollaC (only occasionally available second hand) is basically the Intex device with Jolla branding, or the other way round if you like, the differences are negligible.

Some users are using Turing devices for SailfishOs, but again, not without problems & niggles.

I think I'd have to say, get an Intex from India, the build quality cannot be any worse than the Jolla1.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Possibly AquaFish is the cheapest to go if you want to have ready-from-the-box SFOS experience, however the performance of the device is possibly not satisfactory if you want a real zoomer

If you want to go the do-it-yourself way the definite choice is Nexus5 (Hammerhead) since it is very well specced, quite cheap as a second-hand bargain, well supported and has a range of ready-made images available.

---------- edit ----------

Forgot the question about N9; yes, it is now possible to get SFOS 2.x.x to N9 too, so I have heard but have not tested it myself so cannot say anything about completeness of the build and whether it is usable as a daily driver. The 1.x.x versions had some slight hiccups that would drive all but the most callous users away

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Jolla C and Intex Aquafish are not the same phone, they have different antennas.

You can buy One Plus X (probably only second hand on the market) and flash it with Sailfish. I think this is the best phone for community ports.

I have Jolla and Jolla C and I prefer Jolla. Smaller dimensions are better for me and I prefer RGB notification LED.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
OnePlus X is definitely the best port I've used (I've tried SFOS on Jolla, N9, HTC One m7, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the OPX). However, it did take about a month to buy the phone - there don't seem to be a lot of them for sale right now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would suggest Nexus or OnePlus. I would also suggest that you stay away from buying anything directly from jolla due to the likelyhood that you might be scammed. Happened 50% of their delivery(1 of 2). Better to buy a used one here, if you trust people around here that is .

Then when you have tried it you can try to buy something from jolla. If you can, please use invoice if possible.

GL

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-11-14 at 19:33.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
OnePlus X is definitely the best port I've used (I've tried SFOS on Jolla, N9, HTC One m7, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and the OPX). However, it did take about a month to buy the phone - there don't seem to be a lot of them for sale right now.
Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of OPX compared to Nexus 5 from a SFOS perspective?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Thanks all, thinking to start out with the Intex Aqua Fish, really cheap on eBay, and brand new, even though the quality is not the most premium, have been long time since I have rooted and plaid with my phones, but if I get a good offer on a Oneplus X or Nexus 5 (my wife does have a Nexus 5, but she does not wanna get rid of it, even though I offered to get a new phone for her).

This seems to be the cheapest Intex I could find, cannot fint any european stores that sells it, is it only possible to get it from india?

Strange that i Finnish company, only currently have a phone out in india. Would be cool if Nokia was to buy Jolla, and get into the smartphone game again, really miss those days, now every phone looks the same.

Will be fun to see how much have changed since Nokia N9 running Meego, loved that UI, but pretty unusable now, since I cannot get Google or Live to sync with the phone, getting my contact and calendar plus e-mails on the N9, guessing that it just does not work well with two stage verification on Google and Microsoft, even though I have tried making separate app passworn for the phone.

Also have iPhone and Sony smartphones, even though I like Android and iOS, just not as well designed UI for my likings, brilliantly just swyping to get around the UI, with these all screen phones, just seems most naturel and fastest.

Have also thought about getting a Nokia N900, so I can test and see the evolution from maemo->meego->sailfish, really liked that phone back then, great combination og Nokia N810(800) internet tablet and a smartphone. Anyway getting all nostalgic here, just kind of miss those days, where Nokia came up with all kinds of phones and designs, also really liked Symbian and kind of miss those (sometimes) strange N-series phones.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of OPX compared to Nexus 5 from a SFOS perspective?
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
If you need calendar syncing then iCloud CalDAV sync still works with the n9 but doesn't with SailfishOS. CalDAV is still a bag of hurt on Sailfish.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: