Is there a way I can send commands from a VB.NET app to configure a N800 to load a webpage on startup, in fullscreen mode, and adjust the splash screen startup images, and upload files to the device?

I read through this thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17168 - so is there a way to run those commands from a VB.NET app?

The reason I ask, is that I am writing a web app aimed at the N800/N810 for home automation, and being able to adjust the devices startup settings, transfer files to the device, etc would be a really nice feature to add to my windows app (which designs the GUI for the home automation interface). Much prefer this than have to tell my clients to do all those commands on the device (many, including myself, are not linux-literate)

I have been able to upload files via SFTP, and run commands via SSH to an iPhone from a vb.net app, so I would assume it would be a similar process?

Thanks!

Last edited by senilebob; 2008-05-05 at 05:09.

Anybody? Even a little push in the right direction would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Bah, now my post disappeared - tabbed browsing is dangerous when you are not quite awake.

Anyway, here's a short summary of what I wrote.

The file for startup programs is called .xinitrc and should be found in the users homedir. If not, just create it. Google for the syntax of this file, but basically it is just a list of commands to run at startup of the GUI, one per line. Similarly you will want to take a look at the .xsession file. The browser is firefox 3, so opening a webpage on startup is done by starting it with the url as a parameter - check firefox docs for syntax if any.

As for transfering files, just make sure the tablet is running an ssh server and use SFTP to it. Either use OpenSSHd or DropBear - both available from the Garage.

The startup settings... I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by this. The description is a bit too generic. But my guess is that whatever you want, you can do by editing/uploading the config files to the tablet by SSH/SFTP.

Splash image can be changed. Search this forum to find out how. I'm sure that the description by other people is much better than I can do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kny For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply Kny.

Your description of the startup file sounds a lot simpler than what was mentioned in the thread I linked to in my original post.

I have been able to SFTP into an iPhone from VB.NET before, so I'm pretty sure the file transfer stuff should be simple enough, once I have OpenSSH and becomeroot setup.

I'll look into the .xinitrc file syntax and post any questions here if I get stuck.

As for the actual settings I want to adjust, here is a quick list:
1. Launch Firefox on startup, without seeing any other GUI (desktop, menu) before hand.
2. Force firefox into fullscreen mode when launched. So the boot sequence would be splash screen > firefox fullscreen, nothing in between (other than maybe a blank screen at worst case).
3. Change the startup screen images (I have found information on that, so should be right).

Number 2 is the most important, so any pointers to acheive that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Edit: Just so you know, I dont have a N800/N810 yet, but I am getting one next week hopefully so just want to be ready for when it arrives.

Number 2 is also the hardest one - I don't think you can get around showing the user interface before firefox loads using a standard N800 setup.

However, you could replace the N800 window manager with something like fluxbox/openbox, that has no items on the screen if you don't put them there. I am not experienced in doing this, but you should talk to PenguinBait (from this forum), as he has done exactly this procedure to get KDE running on the tablet. There is a thread somewhere in which he describes exactly what is necessary. You should do exactly the same, only implementing fluxbox/openbox in stead of KDE. Alternatively, maybe you can avoid loading the menu and applets on a standard N800 setup, but I think this is quite hard.

There may be a better solution than *box as a windowmanager, as the N800 is very Gnome-based (mostly because of its reliance on the virtual keyboard, which only works in Gnome). So if number 2 is essential, you need to go trawling the net for a minimal Gnome windowmanager, that you can compile for the N800 (don't fear this step, as most linux gnome programs simply compile without changes if you use the scratchbox). Maybe even the builtin windowmanager in Maemo can be adapted, but as I said, my experience is limited. The alternative is *box, but then you need to supply a virtual keyboard. Of course this might even be simple, if it is just for a web-application - I see no reason, the virtual keyboard could not just be a part of your webapplication rather than the device setup.

Of course, the really simple solution is to use an N810, which has a hardware keyboard, or bundle the N800 with a BT keyboard.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Maybe LOLcode is your best bet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOLCODE

And now: .NET compatible! http://blog.notdot.net/archives/32-L...-the-CLR!.html

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-06 at 12:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
texrat: yeah maybe...

Kny: That all sounds nice and difficult. I'll keep it in mind tho.
Turning the device into a dedicated home automation device (removing all other functionality thats not needed, like media player, etc) might be a path worth looking at.

Has anyone created a maemo app that is simply a web page, with no menus or anything?
I might have to send a message to PenguinBait, and hunt down his forum posts for some inspiration.

Thanks.

Lol Texrat,

That has got to be the coolest invention since canned soda ;-)

SenileBob: What you need is not a Maemo app. No simple application can make the rest of the system not start. An application does a) not have the privileges to stop many of the system services you see (like the xserver, methinks) and b) is only started after the initial GUI is presented, which is not acceptable for a full implementation of your criterion number 2.

What you need is a distribution modification, in which you basically remove everything but the xserver, gnome libs and firefox.

Alternatively, as I mentioned, you just replace the xinitrc and/or xsession files and the window manager.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by senilebob View Post
Kny: That all sounds nice and difficult. I'll keep it in mind tho.
Turning the device into a dedicated home automation device (removing all other functionality thats not needed, like media player, etc) might be a path worth looking at.
Why worry about a dedicated device? Just leave the device as-is and provide the software as an add-on. You get the functionality of a full maemo device, plus a home-automation remote!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
The reason for dedicated device is quite a good one: Customer service.
Home automation installers will stay well clear of devices that customers have the ability to customise. This only leads to headaches with devices not functioning correctly and requiring expensive visits to fix the problems.

Ofcourse, they will be free to offer the web interface as an addon option, but the option to turn the N800 into a dedicated home automation controller is a huge attraction to the device, amongst its astronishingly low price-point when compared to the prices of current dedicated proprietary automation touch screens.