Notices

best gps app yet! brilliant and accurate 1 second updates i was previously using maep but a lot of its features just dont seem to work well.

dragging with finger is kinda slow but i think that was addressed in one of the previous posts.

other than all the ideas to be implemented which are already on the front of this thread.. how about some gps data filtering. sometimes the gps tracking where i am (nz) goes a bit 'funny' and when i walk it shows my path takes some very violent 1km variations and then back again within 1 second. accelerometer monitoring ? maybe it could sense walk/biking like a pedometer to determine how it works this filtering out. location moving but no 'pedometer' action would indicate driving/train.

also, obviously rotate the map in the direction you are heading with tracking on. this would act as a quasi digital compass too

definitely caching tilemaps is required so it would save on the internet access. could also speed up dragging and rotation when implemented

onscreen overlay/transparencies to show some details, like estimated location, zoom level/scale, tracking on/off, double pixel size option as google maps can make text pretty small sometimes

in terms of performance, isn't there some kinda of qt map tile class now?

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Keferen View Post
best gps app yet! brilliant and accurate 1 second updates i was previously using maep but a lot of its features just dont seem to work well.

dragging with finger is kinda slow but i think that was addressed in one of the previous posts.
It should not be too bad if you have already the necessary map tiles in the cache. The only improvement I can think of is to have the map tiles offline.

other than all the ideas to be implemented which are already on the front of this thread.. how about some gps data filtering. sometimes the gps tracking where i am (nz) goes a bit 'funny' and when i walk it shows my path takes some very violent 1km variations and then back again within 1 second. accelerometer monitoring ? maybe it could sense walk/biking like a pedometer to determine how it works this filtering out. location moving but no 'pedometer' action would indicate driving/train.
I like the idea. It would be possible to "smooth" the curve by averaging the reported positions using their reported "precision".

also, obviously rotate the map in the direction you are heading with tracking on. this would act as a quasi digital compass too
I tried rotating the map tile but it is not very helpful because the text rotate as well. Google has another solution for the android phones but I don't think it is public yet.

definitely caching tilemaps is required so it would save on the internet access. could also speed up dragging and rotation when implemented
We have a cache already. I may be able to enhance it a little bit and maybe allow for you to download map tiles beforehand.

onscreen overlay/transparencies to show some details, like estimated location, zoom level/scale, tracking on/off, double pixel size option as google maps can make text pretty small sometimes
You forgot "directions" (next turn, proximity of next turn, ...)

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming. I will keep them in mind and try to add some of them on the next releases.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
in terms of performance, isn't there some kinda of qt map tile class now?
Yes. There are the new Qt Mobility Location classes but GeePS uses a QtWebKit web browser/google maps api to render the map.

I plan to try the new APIs but don't know if I would change GeePS or create another project as they may serve two different needs.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

any chance of using or incorporating streetview to view the path youre taking or to navigate the map or to view any searched or your current location ?
wouldnt it be great to street view the path youre taking... mmmmmm

Hi,

Just come across your great app. I was wondering whether you might still be working on it?I'd love to provide some feedback, but not sure whether the project is still ongoing...

thanks.

Originally Posted by maemomatic View Post
Hi,

Just come across your great app. I was wondering whether you might still be working on it?I'd love to provide some feedback, but not sure whether the project is still ongoing...

thanks.
Unfortunately I haven't found time to work on a new release but am planning on it. I have some features that I started but never finished (integration with mycontacts, save results of local search to contacts database, POI, show more details on localsearch so you can call the place or visit the web site, ...)

Suggestions are always welcome!

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
Unfortunately I haven't found time to work on a new release but am planning on it. ...
Very nice work, I am definitely keeping this application even the way it is. On nokia n900 one can potentially use regular browser for google maps (including directions), but I will now switch.

A couple of "wishes" if I may:
- It would be nice to have one or another way to SAVE locations and have access to them. This is minor convenience, but logically it seems like something not too difficult to implement.
- there was mentioning about cache size earlier. Any way cache could actually be saved for later use (possibly including satellite view, but at least maps)? This would allow to save on bandwidth on capped mobile plans and of course phone battery. When in the car with charger, the battery limits is less of an issue, but otherwise it is.

If saving cache is implemented, I guess it will be important to have a function to clear it for the updating purpose.

Once again, THANKS! nice application

The Following User Says Thank You to Abukana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Abukana View Post
Very nice work, I am definitely keeping this application even the way it is. On nokia n900 one can potentially use regular browser for google maps (including directions), but I will now switch.

A couple of "wishes" if I may:
- It would be nice to have one or another way to SAVE locations and have access to them. This is minor convenience, but logically it seems like something not too difficult to implement.
- there was mentioning about cache size earlier. Any way cache could actually be saved for later use (possibly including satellite view, but at least maps)? This would allow to save on bandwidth on capped mobile plans and of course phone battery. When in the car with charger, the battery limits is less of an issue, but otherwise it is.

If saving cache is implemented, I guess it will be important to have a function to clear it for the updating purpose.

Once again, THANKS! nice application
POI is clearly needed. I have plans but haven't had a chance to implement them yet.

I have implemented a cache, or better yet, just enabled WebKit's cache. It is probably not ideal but should allow google maps to decide what and when to cache so we don't need to manually manage it.

The questions before were about being able to download the map tiles for a given area ahead of time - this is something that I probably will/can not implement.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
The questions before were about being able to download the map tiles for a given area ahead of time - this is something that I probably will/can not implement.
Ovi maps has that feature. One could pre-load the phone with maps by regions (country, state, all...)