Active Topics

Originally Posted by grog View Post
It's looking like my best option is to get this adapter from retractablecables & this adapter from dealextreme.
I'm using the female A to female A adapter from DealExtreme on the end of my device cable, and it works just fine. To use the other one from retractablecables you'd also need to buy a female A to male A USB extension cable

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
I'm using the female A to female A adapter from DealExtreme on the end of my device cable, and it works just fine. To use the other one from retractablecables you'd also need to buy a female A to male A USB extension cable
I see what you mean if I wanted to plug the NIT into a female usb connector, but if I wanted to, for example, plug a usb stick or the cable of a digital camera straight into my NIT, would I not then need to two adapters I've mentioned?
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

haven't read everything in this thread but I installed that USB Connect Software and then purchased a A to micro B and a double female adapter and I was done.

Anyone know how much power a USB keyboard is using? I'm trying to hyper-mile the battery.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
[...] I installed that USB Connect Software and then purchased a A to micro B and a double female adapter and I was done.
That seems to answer my question . Thanks
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Just to give you my experience.

I bought the following from cables4computer.com:
ZIP-ADP-C10 USB A to Micro B
ZIP-ADP-C09 USB A to Micro A
ZIP-KIT-NK2 Nokia USB charging kit

I was hoping that the USB A to Micro A would automatically switch to host mode when plugged in. It does not. I don't know if that is because my fault understanding it USB OTG or a faulty product. It does fit into the socket on the N810 but it is clearly not the right plug for that socket. I haven't found a probe tip fine enough to do a conductivity test between the appropriate pins.

The other two items I am quite happy with and work together really well. The ZIP-ADP-C10 combined with a gender changer works fine to read USB flash drives when switched to host mode manually. The Nokia charging kit includes a retractable USB extension cable that, combined with the ZIP-ADP-C10, replaces the cable that came with the N810.

Also with the charger kit comes a tip that does fit the N810 and plugs into the same USB extension cable. The power supply is a nice compact combo unit that either plugs into the wall or a car lighter socket and has a USB socket on it that provides ample power to charge the N810. I tried using just a regular USB socket on a computer and the one I tried did not supply enough currrent and the N810 told me so.

So with what comes with the charging kit, the ZIP-ADP-C10, and a USB Female to Female gender changer (which you can easily find ... I got mine at The Source by Circuit City for under $10), I have a compact collection of cabling that does data transfer as a host (with the USB mode switching software) and as a client and also provides a means of charging from a normal power outlet or in the car.

The only problems I had with cables4computer.com was my order was delayed because of some crazy process where I had to call them to verify my address ... the same address that I typed into the online form and they echoed back to me in a order verification email ... and they gouged me on shipping. Perhaps both issues was due to it being an international order ... I don't know.

OK ... that was all longer than I expected but I hope that it helps someone.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
[...snip...]
OK ... that was all longer than I expected but I hope that it helps someone.
That helps me quite a bit. Now I know that if I get a ZIP-ADP-C10, a ZIP-KIT-NK2 & source a female-to-female gender changer I'll be good to go to!

Thanks Muchly

Originally Posted by grog View Post
Isn't this what we're looking for? Only $3.99
That's as close as I've seen to what many of us are looking for.

I don't know whether to get this with an F-F adapter or wait for the perfect adapter to appear: micro USB male to USB A female. The idea is to have something small and convenient to make UBS keys a viable type of supplemental storage.

If I have to use the included cable and an F-F adapter I doubt I'll carry it around most the time.

Last edited by bexley; 2008-03-11 at 17:22.

Originally Posted by bexley View Post
That's as close as I've seen to what many of us are looking for.

I don't know whether to get this with an F-F adapter or wait for the perfect adapter to appear: micro USB male to USB A female. The idea is to have something small and convenient to make UBS keys a viable type of supplemental storage.

If I have to use the included cable and an F-F adapter I doubt I'll carry it around most the time.
It's not as bad as it sounds. the micro USB that I have is a retractable unit so it takes up very little space. I just leave the FF converter connected. No biggie in practice. The keyboard on the other hand......

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by bexley View Post
I use it as a holder for my charging tip and micro B tip. So the two tips connected by the gender changer, the extension cable and the charger make for a compact setup that's quite flexible.

I also bought a WD Passport USB Drive ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=317 ) and the neoprene case that it came in fits the N810 (and I would guess the N800) quite nicely with room to stuff the tips/gender changer along one edge. If you really squeeze and stretch the neoprene, you can fit both the drive and the N810 in the case. Here is a link to the picture of the case http://www.con-ads.com/images/20049_...d3RhqNcXC7.jpg

Still need to find an elegant solution to power the drive for the N810. As it is, some computer USB ports don't have enough juice ... never mind the N810. They supposedly sell a power injector separately specifically for the drive but it is a cumbersome beast with its own transformer. I am just looking for a simple Y cable with the power lines connected that would integrate nicely with my charger.