Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
MMS...
I know this will sound like a snarky TMO question, but I'm serious and not trying to troll you (honest!): what is attractive about MMS in 2014? Is it useful when you don't have data? Or what?

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
People at least now gets the contact type right indicating work/home etc but you still can't edit contacts from Google. Needless to day, CardDAV/CalDAV didn't make the cut this time either.
What!?

Aww no, Jolla! Along with SMS, phone call & browser, this is absolutely non-negotiable in a modern device. I've spent the last 3 hours thinking that things were going to be golden, but no such luck. I saw all that that calendar stuff in the change log, I guess I saw what I wanted to see there.

Every day without proper mature calendar support I feel as though I'm going to miss some appointment. I think I'm going to have to go back to the N9 as my main device until this is sorted out.

Not nearly so excited for this update now. I know there's lots of cool stuff and bug fixes and that a huge amount of hard work has gone into it, but this is a critical thing for me.

Oh well, back to being [sort of] patient...

Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Got the right IP from the router. Now SSH connects over wifi.
Fixed phone using these instructions: https://together.jolla.com/question/...fore-updating/

Uhh...
Glad I managed to help a small amount good luck with the rest of the process!

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I have tried more than ten times now to get the update, and each time it fails. I know Jolla servers are overloaded etc. etc. but I wonder why there isn't a progress bar or any message returned when the download fails - just booted back to "Updates available".

I had this trouble with 1.0.3.8 but not as bad as this. C'mon! It's the middle of the night in Europe now! Shouldn't you all be asleep?

In any case, as per my previous post, the lack of proper CalDAV support makes this update probably of only entertainment value to me. The stability improvements are great, but until & unless Sailfish includes proper calendar support, the Jolla is basically a [very] shiny toy as far as I'm concerned...

Edit: wouldn't it be better for everyone (Jolla and other users included) if the update just downloaded slowly, instead of starting and then failing over & over? Don't understand why it keeps failing - 5kB/s to completion is better than 150kB/s which keeps failing and resetting. I'm getting nowhere and I'm wasting Jolla's bandwidth too - what a result!

Edit2: coming back to this problem in the light of day, I realise that I missed the progress indicator, which goes across the entire picture at the top! So, err... sorry for that misguided piece of my rant. I'm sure others have pointed it out below, but honestly I did realise it for myself - for what that's worth, However, I still wish there was an error message on failure (perhaps there's something hidden somewhere in a log file, but it should be presented to me without having to know some secret)

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-03-18 at 14:30.

Okay so i have issues now due to me not disabling warehouse repositories

I've downloaded the rndis driver for my mac
Rebooted jolla in to recovery mode
Connected jolla to mac
Gone to terminal and typed in telnet
Then typed o 10.42.66.66

Says operation timed out......it just won't work!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dared View Post

Connected jolla to mac
Then typed o 10.42.66.66

Silly question perhaps, but are you sure that's the correct IP address? i.e. did you confirm that the device is there on that address, or is that just an IP someone else in this thread said to try?

Edit: Also, are you sure you want to telnet rather than SSH? By default, telnet will attempt to connect on port 23 (telnet service) but SSH is on port 22 and is a totally different service. Important difference. If you point me to the instructions you're using I can see if this is a helpful comment or if I'm accidentally misleading you, but I'd be surprised if pure telnet is the answer here.

I'm not a Mac expert, but I believe you should just be able to open a OSX terminal and type:
Code:
ssh <IP of your Jolla>

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-03-18 at 02:01.

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Silly question perhaps, but are you sure that's the correct IP address? i.e. did you confirm that the device is there on that address, or is that just an IP someone else in this thread said to try?

Edit: Also, are you sure you want to telnet rather than SSH? By default, telnet will attempt to connect on port 23 (telnet service) but SSH is on port 22 and is a totally different service. Important difference. If you point me to the instructions you're using I can see if this is a helpful comment or if I'm accidentally misleading you, but I'd be surprised if pure telnet is the answer here.

I'm not a Mac expert, but I believe you should just be able to open a OSX terminal and type:
Code:
ssh <IP of your Jolla>
Thanks for the response.

I don't have ssh enabled in developer mode so it looks like i have to go through telnet. The instructions I have followed are:

http://thejollablog.wordpress.com/20...recovery-mode/

The IP address may be different on my phone, I have no idea how to figure it out though, as I can't open any apps :/

EDIT: Jolla phone only uses 2 iP addresses.... have used both, same result

Last edited by Dared; 2014-03-18 at 02:53.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Do you really expect this?

I don't.
Why not, certainly by December this year I would've expected them to move beyond the EU.
Ideally that expansion would begin long before Dec, if they're serious about putting down roots outside the EU.

Damn it, I always miss these releases, apparently I went to bed just before this thread heated-up, lotsa reading!
Okay all caught-up now*, meh, still sounds quite mediocre all-up, I hope they continue w/an aggressive release early/often approach, mediocre can soon disappear if they continue that.

*including here

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-03-18 at 04:13.

No people in this thread lie, don't trust them, check https://together.jolla.com/question/...-in-boot-loop/ or maybe this is also not trustworthy place, liars everywhere

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dared View Post

Connected jolla to mac
Then typed o 10.42.66.66

Have you tried 192.168.2.15 instead of 10.42....?

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"