Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
So, if i ensure my nokia n900, and something happens, will they give me a brand new n900? I thought n900's are very hard to find this days, i barely find mine at vodafone (it was from a very old stock)
If you can find a active stock with a brand new device yes, if not, you will calculate the price of the phone (how much is in Vodafone as brand new without subscription) and they will give you that money, or another phone with the same specs, withing the insured money. Read the terms and conditions .

Told you, I got my 250 euro HTC insured by orange, and I even got a better offer for insurance just because I bought it from a orange store and not from e-mag or other competitors. In that 250 euros I got a pre-pay sim with 7 euros, conversion from normal sim to micro sim, original casing, screen protection and 1 yr of reduced insurance fee.

P.S. Even better is to go to a local store and talk about that, they can make you a better offer, just because you make it in that shop and not another

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
or another phone with the same specs
Another phone with the same specs does not exist.

Correct me if i am wrong but as far as i know there isn't a phone with qwerty keyboard, fm transmitter, usb host, decent camera, bleeding edge drivers for wifi, open OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Another phone with the same specs does not exist.

Correct me if i am wrong but as far as i know there isn't a phone with qwerty keyboard, fm transmitter, usb host, decent camera, bleeding edge drivers for wifi, open OS.
Well as much as I hate N900 right now for what it did to me (break down just like that), I still appreciate it like a UNIQUE device with unique features and os. So yes, you're right, the only phone that can compare with the n900 is... another n900. But think like this, your n900 fails (better not, because I know how it is to loose 2 devices) you can get another device, at allmost the same specs and that price range. You sell that phone, and get a new N900, you still win...

Here is a very interesting mod i found on the net. It's not done by me, but it look very good. It's wireless charging with a DSI charging kit.
Some pics:

Here is the link to the blog of the guy who did it: http://renerento.wordpress.com/2012/...less-charging/

I'll also integrate this in my phone, along with the other two mods planned (hot-swap sd and sim card) as soon as i'll have some free time

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, it's been done a few times:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=726652
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72753

And a few others, just do a search for "inductive".

I particularly like the one that mods the battery rather than the phone. Not only you it leaves your phone intact, but it also allows you to charge the battery out of the phone. It actually gives me an idea. After a recent purchase I have quite a few batteries going spare

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hello everybody. As i promised a few weeks back, i will post my some pics of my modded n900 . The idea behind this came from the need to be able to read a usb flash memory anytime, anywhere, withot carry usb adapters or cables (AND becase my htc x9500 is not very pocketable ). Also i decided (this was not really my idea) to be able to charge the phone anytime in the sunlight - so i sticked solar kits (from an old solar charger) on the battery cover. However the solar charging is very very slow, and becase the pannel ios connected directly to the + and - of the battery, the n900 does not look like its charging, also no indication of charging in the battery graph either, but i made a test in wich i depleted the battery completly so the phone could not be turned on. i left it for almost 4 hours in direct sunlight and i got only 4 - 5 % just enough to turn the phone on and connect to wifi to check email. So yes the solar panel mod will only became usefull in case of a plane crash in a deserted island . On the other hand the usb mode is really usefull, and no i did not removed the mini usb port of the phone; instead i solder some wires from the mini usb to a host usb removed from an old cable. Here is a pic:

As you can see i removed the lock-unlock switch, but i solder a wire from its pad to an old nokia 3310 power switch to keep the function of the button. I did this becase the loc-unlock button act as option menu button in android (i also use nitdroid). Here is a pic of the new placement of the switch (you can also see the solar pannel):

Here are some pics of the modified case to fit the usb port inside, i also had to cut the resonance chamber of the right speaker:

Here are some more pictures of the motheboard:

And here some pics with the assembled phone:

Another note: Pali made a great application: Usb Host Mode New - that allows usb+charging. Becase i didn't removed the mini usb port i can use a modified charger to charge the battery and power the usb device connected to the other end of n900. The "normal" charger will not work with this mod becase it short-circuit the data pins of the usb port.
Also the mini usb port can still be normally used for pc suite and mass memory mode with normal n900 usb cable.

Here is one with the battery cover with the solar panel contacts:

If anybody want to do this to his/hers n900 it should know that the "mutilation degree" applied to the phone is high, and it also should have some basic electronic/soldering knwoledge. Also a soldering station is recommended becase mini usb contacts are really small.
But overall in my opinion it worth it. I have now in my pocket a device that can do almost anything (no more need of the htc x9500 )
I also tried to make a video with the usb host in action, but the nokia e72 (belonging to the person who helped me with this) i used for the pics, simply did not recorded anything (software problems)
Thanks for sharing information and pics.. I have been searching for a it and finally got this old post..

Last edited by NicolasWood; 2013-10-16 at 11:03.

Hello world, after a long time i decided to mod the sd card slot of the nokia n900. This necesity came from the need to quick insert/remove sd card. I am building a tablet based on raspberry pi, and i need to modify some files on the raspbian os (raspberry pi main os) wich is stored on an sd card. Windows does not "see" linux partitions, so i needed a linux pc that is always on, and has sd slot - the n900!
I always thought that removing the entire battery cover to change the card is akward, but now this became a problem since i had to modify and test the files on the raspberry, then edit them again, i had to open the battery cover too many times.

So first i remove the card slot from an old lg ks360:

Then i removed the slot form nokia n900, except the pins since i soldered the contact wires on them:

After that i placed the lg slot on the pins (isolated with capton tape):

Next i solderes some small wires form nokia pins to lg slot, and the slot itself to the board with lot of tin to make sure it wont move from its place:

The next step was to carefully cut the case to look like it was designed that way and ansamble it:

Here is with the card inserted:

Next thing was to modify the kickstand in order to mount/unmount the card. On nokia n900 mounting/unmounting the card is done by the small magnet on the battery cover that hold the kickstand closed.
All i had to do was to put the magnet on the kickstand and the small iron plate on the baterry cover:

Now mounting/unmounting the sd card is as simple as open/close the kickstand. I never used the kickstand to hold the phone especially since i had to cut it in 2 becase of the solar panel, so now i finally get a use for that kickstand
Here are 2 more pictures with the phone (top view):

without the card

with card

I also want to say that after a year of using the modified n900, as the main phone, with regular usb port on the bottom, and the solar panel on the cover, it still work perfectly, and never had any problems with it. A really good phone, that simply cannot be beaten by any other one, even in 2014
Edit: until the great Neo900 comes out!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Awesome work!

Although, IIRC, removing magnet doesn't unmount SD card cleanly, just "cuts the power", So it may be good idea to prepare a pair of scripts for mounting/unmounting on demand. For people that use swap on microSD, it would also consist of moving swap to eMMC when card is to be put off, of course (and in reverse, after inserting it and willing to mount). I don't need to add that powering off sd card by means of magnet when you have swap there works as nicely, as physically pulling out RAM stick of your desktop PC while it's working.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Awesome work!

Although, IIRC, removing magnet doesn't unmount SD card cleanly, just "cuts the power", So it may be good idea to prepare a pair of scripts for mounting/unmounting on demand. For people that use swap on microSD, it would also consist of moving swap to eMMC when card is to be put off, of course (and in reverse, after inserting it and willing to mount). I don't need to add that powering off sd card by means of magnet when you have swap there works as nicely, as physically pulling out RAM stick of your desktop PC while it's working.

/Estel
Well, i think that the magnet doesen't just "cuts the power" becase if i remove the card without opening the kickstand (removing the magnet), the card is still visible in the file manager, and will stay that way even if the card is removed, until i open/close the kickstand.
So i think the magnet does mount/unmount the card correctly.
About the swap on the card, i never used that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
if i remove the card without opening the kickstand (removing the magnet), the card is still visible in the file manager
How come? Have you tried it with Hamster file manager, or just with the default one? mount point should, of course, remain, but the content?

Anyway, it would be interesting to check what *exactly* happens, when magnet is removed. Even if it unmount something, I guess it's only for /dev/mmcblk1p1, as other partitions are, definitely, untouched. Filesystem used may be important, too.

Also, I don't believe that it actually wait 'till content is properly unmounted, if, for example, device can't be unmounted due to operation in progress. I guess that, at most, it just throw umount -f and remove power after pre-defined (very short) time, no matter of results. I wouldn't count on sync before, too.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
dual-sim, nokia n900, solar charging, usb host