Poll: Will you be getting one?
Poll Options
Will you be getting one?

Originally Posted by Red View Post
The last thing I want is a feature-rich phone complicating my life. Give me a simple phone with great battery life and looks and let me do the rest on my internet tablet.
concur with this 100%

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I won't be getting one, but that's only because I won't buy anything Nokia again. OTOH, had they come out with this in say september, odds are I would have used my Pandora piggy bank to help buy this (although it most certainly will cost many times more than Pandora).

Then again, it's -- ugh! -- S60, so maybe still no.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I will buy this n97, just because I am phone whore. This is the almost the exact hardware and dimensions I would like for the next maemo device (lacks screen and processor)

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
could someone post the price to completely discourage me from buying it?

I am expecting something circa 500-750$

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Apparently EUR 550 plus taxes and whatnot.

In truth, it's less than I expected.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i wonder how much of that comes from the camera and wwan radio...

I'm with fpp. The whole point about having an internet tablet - for me - is that it acts as a "co-processor" for my phone. It offloads everything except for the making and receiving of phone calls and texts. OK so I still use the PIM on the phone too (yeah yeah I know! Take it to the wiki )
Like minds... I also have an E51 (second-hand, as recommended by ITT experts :-) and I also use it to sync my work calendar (although I still can't think of ANY excuse for the tablets not having SyncML ! :-).

Additionally, the E51 can be a capable tool for doing simple things quickly : wap browsing (think bus schedules), pedestrian navigation (Google maps), VoIP etc., for which a tablet would be unnecessary or even unpractical. Most of the time, for serious browsing or Maemo Mapper or Youtube/LastFM it tethers to the tablet. And in some situations it also serves as the Internet connection for my netbook, mostly for work-related stuff on the go (mail etc.).

So that's three different uses out of one data plan, as the need arises, with a load shared across three batteries. Carrying only one device would certainly be more convenient but probably a lot less efficient and versatile too.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Do you have an open source phone? Would you buy the N900 with 3G (data-only)? What kind of phone would you combine the N900 with then?
I'm weird. I don't have a mobile phone. I would use one so rarely that I could use VoIP on a 3G maemo netpad for the rare occasions that I would need it.

And fpp and Red are right; that screen is a postage stamp. Can't get any real work done on that

EDIT: But the N97 is very pretty. I hope they continue exploring the tilt-screen for the m5 netpad.

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-02 at 20:45.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
a) bluetooth (so I could use my NiT as a desktop hands-free or my handset for making VoIP calls), b) excellent battery life, c) small size.
I don't think our requirements are so far apart. It's just that for C, I require that said phone be small enough to fit INSIDE the case of the NIT, and for B, I require that it draw power from the NIT's battery.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Do you have an open source phone?
Yes.

Would you buy the N900 with 3G (data-only)?
Data only? no.

Data + Voice + SMS/MMS? yes.

Tags
nokia n97, s60, symbian