Active Topics

I share your sentiment.

What those a**holes don't seem to realize is that there are certain authors' work that you cannot find in any non DRM form. I myself am about ready to cave and buy some stuff from Fictionwise.

Is there a Palm OS 5 rom available? Does anyone know?

Originally Posted by nate the great View Post
I share your sentiment.

What those a**holes don't seem to realize is that there are certain authors' work that you cannot find in any non DRM form. I myself am about ready to cave and buy some stuff from Fictionwise.
Ordinarily I try not to snap but really...

And you're right. If the choice is to buy DRM content or not access the content, well that's not really a choice.

I do read stuff from Baen, mainly for that reason - they don't do DRM - but also some of the sci fi authors I like were found by Jim Baen.

Not that I know, it would be interesting to see how the emulator works. I may have a go this weekend.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
I share your sentiment.

OS5 is not possible on the 3.5 emulator, unless you do some serious hacking at the source to make it play well with the rom....

4.1 color or greyscale rom is the highest as of now.

Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
OS5 is not possible on the 3.5 emulator, unless you do some serious hacking at the source to make it play well with the rom....

4.1 color or greyscale rom is the highest as of now.
All I really want is more screen area so I can see more text when running eReader or Mobipocket.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
Ordinarily I try not to snap but really...
And you're right. If the choice is to buy DRM content or not access the content, well that's not really a choice.
It is a choice. Some of us refuse to pay for DRM media, we choose free, or non-DRM content and advocate that others do the same.

Some of us also refuse to pay for monopolist operating systems and applications (Hello, M$) and instead choose GPL or freeware. Many of us chose the Nokia tablets for this reason, and we advocate that others do the same.

And I will certainly not donate my free time to customize the PalmOS emulator in order to provide you with a reason to purchase more DRM media.

However, if someone else wants to do the work, I won't stand in their way.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-06-30 at 09:20.

Originally Posted by ArnimS
It is a choice. Some of us refuse to pay for DRM media, we choose free, or non-DRM content and advocate that others do the same.
And you're advocacy includes being offensive the people on public forums does it? Do you also wander around glaring at people using iPods?

Some of us also refuse to pay for monopolist operating systems and applications (Hello, M$) and instead choose GPL or freeware. Many of us chose the Nokia tablets for this reason, and we advocate that others do the same
If I were you I'd stop all personal involvement in advocating GPL or freeware. Your staring eyes, ranting, black and white approach is not the kind of image the open source world needs or wants.

And I will certainly not donate my free time to customize the PalmOS emulator in order to provide you with a reason to purchase more DRM media
And you can't see the irony in this statement.

However, if someone else wants to do the work, I won't stand in their way.
Redundant comment. In the freeware/GPL world you don't have the right.

Just a quick explanation in response. No offense intended.

1) No irony anywhere. I'm stating that I'm not going to promote DRM by making extra efforts to assist you in using it. I mention this because I normally try to help people who ask for a feature.

2) I find simultaneous moaning about DRM restrictions and support of DRM media to be ironic and highly amusing.

3) Though I won't give you my programming time, I will give you some free information. "You're" is a contraction of "you are". "Your" indicates possession.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Just a quick explanation in response. No offense intended.

1) No irony anywhere. I'm stating that I'm not going to promote DRM by making extra efforts to assist you in using it. I mention this because I normally try to help people who ask for a feature.
I don't recall asking for help.

2) I find simultaneous moaning about DRM restrictions and support of DRM media to be ironic and highly amusing.
Sometimes when people are confronted rudely, as you and one other did, they respond in kind. Have you not realised this yet?

If you had bothered to read the other messages or even ask the question, you would find that I haven't bought any DRM content of any kind for a significant period of time, since well before the N770 came out.

Before that time eReader DRM wasn't an issue because it could be read on both Palm and PocketPC and they were the only real game in town. See, DRM doesn't need to be restrictive if you can access the content on any platform you want. It's only when you can't do that, that it becomes a problem for the end user.

3) Though I won't give you my programming time, I will give you some free information. "You're" is a contraction of "you are". "Your" indicates possession.
Now, you see you were doing OK there and you felt the need to end it by trying to be condescending and failing miserably.

All I can say, is I hope your programming is better than your english because you're wrong.

Last edited by andymulhearn; 2007-06-30 at 11:34.

ArnimS, of the 3 people who spoke up about DRM, your posts are the most offensive. Your posts are about half a step from being a flame attack. Back off.

Last edited by nate the great; 2007-06-30 at 11:36.

I don't recall asking for help.
Oops! Mea culpa. That was in response to:

All I really want is more screen area so I can see more text when running eReader or Mobipocket.
Sorry about that, Andy.

Please note that I've ignored your ad-hominem attacks, but just in case anyone missed this, it made my day

And you're advocacy includes being offensive the people on public forums does it?
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
"You're" is a contraction of "you are". "Your" indicates possession.
All I can say, is I hope your programming is better than your english because you're wrong.
Cheers,