Active Topics

Notices

Here's Crimson Fields strategy game. http://maemo.org/downloads/product/crimson/

Games aren't very long, because maps are usually pretty small, for example screenshot shows the whole map. In another words this fits perfectly for tablets and its pretty good too

PS. There's fremantle package too

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
The game is quite neat, but I have 2 questions:

1) there is only one campaign... and some of the campaign's maps are unavailable as skirmishes. is there any way to add more campaigns and/or play some of those maps in skirmishes?

2) every search I did on crimson fields tells me that there are tools to convert battle isle maps into crimson fields maps that can be played. Has anyone ever done that, and are those maps available anywhere?

Thank you

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
1) there is only one campaign... and some of the campaign's maps are unavailable as skirmishes. is there any way to add more campaigns and/or play some of those maps in skirmishes?

2) every search I did on crimson fields tells me that there are tools to convert battle isle maps into crimson fields maps that can be played. Has anyone ever done that, and are those maps available anywhere
Besides the game itself, Crimson Fields comes with a graphical map editor "comet", a Battle Isle to Crimson Fields map conversion tool "bi2cf" and a map compiler "cfed". At least in the .deb I got from Ubuntu repositories these tools were included.

I gave it a quick try and converting maps from BI to CF seems to work quite well.

Assuming that you have your BI maps in a subdirectory called MAP, do a
Code:
bi2cf 01 -p 1 -f b -d MAP
to convert BI map number 01 into a one-player CF map. From the resulting map source file (extension .src) you can then compile a CF level file (extension .lev) by doing

Code:
cfed BI-01.src --tiles /usr/share/games/crimson/default.tiles --units /usr/share/games/crimson/default.units
Just put the resulting .lev file into $HOME/.crimson/levels and the new level will automatically show up the next time your restart the game.

For more details on bi2cf and cfed see also
http://www.digipedia.pl/man/bi2cf.6.html
http://www.digipedia.pl/man/cfed.6.html

e.g. the first map from BI 1 looks like this in CF

If required you can also rework the converted BI maps with the "comet" map editor - just load the .lev file into the editor. Of course with comet you can also create new maps from scratch.

Last edited by iskarion; 2009-05-26 at 20:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
Besides the game itself, Crimson Fields comes with a graphical map editor "comet", a Battle Isle to Crimson Fields map conversion tool "bi2cf" and a map compiler "cfed". At least in the .deb I got from Ubuntu repositories these tools were included.
These tools are not included in maemo package, but they are available for linux, windows, mac and others from http://crimson.seul.org/download.php

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
*sigh*
so I guess I'll have to torrent battle isle tonight.... thank god for Canadian laws regarding torrents...

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

so is the a way to make your own maps with it? or if the is another map package download availible, that be nice too. If there is, could someone please give me a link to it?

err... how do you capture a base? I try to move into it but it just brings up the build menu.