Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Attila:

Help! I was right. Your package is busted!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Duh ! The we do the full kernel dance tonight ! dmsetup, dm_loop for Fremantle, JOYDEV. Paaaarty !

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
So... is it any good now ? The Fremantle kernel is still causing me grief (scratchbox segfaults on me) so that's on hold, I'll try and download a vmware image and try there but that's going to take some time.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
looks great! this is exactly the kind of fun stuff i bought the n900 to play with

is there any reason why the image is limited to 1.3Gb? I would like to dedicate at least 4Gb when the performance is maximized.

thanks again for your work.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
attila77: nothing has changed, if that's what you're asking...

But I can work around the problem by manually deleting the offending file (/etc/udev/rules.d/65_dmsetup.rules) and installing again.

The fix is to check for the file's existence before trying to install the package, and making sure it gets deleted on removal.

Hey qole, I've been using easy Debian for a while in my never ending quest to use my N800 as a full desktop and I've always wanted to express my gratitude: thank you!

Quick question, though. While using OpenOffice on Diablo, sometimes (most of the time) after I open a document it will only open it read only. Permissions are set, I deleted the lock files, etc. etc. I'm not sure if it's an issue with OpenOffice or something else. Has anyone else had this problem?

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
looks great! this is exactly the kind of fun stuff i bought the n900 to play with

is there any reason why the image is limited to 1.3Gb? I would like to dedicate at least 4Gb when the performance is maximized.

thanks again for your work.
I was also wondering why Easy Debian blocks increasing the image any larger than 1.3 GB? I assume this might be some sort of ext2 limitation? Because Easy Debian was programmed with a mounted loop, changing the image to 4 GB is virtually impossible.

Ok, please note this is the thread for N8x0 devices, but this applies to all devices.

I suggest making a bigger image file (using the dd command as I explain in this old post):

(you need to be root for all of this, sudo su - is my preferred method)

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img.ext2 count=2097152
What's that 2097152? That should give us a gigabyte. Seems that you calculate size like this: <bytes> / 512 = <dd-count>. So three gigabytes would be 6291456 and four would be 8388608.

Then make an ext2 file system in it (using mkfs.ext2) as explained in the same old post:

Code:
mkfs.ext2 debian.img.ext2 -m 0 -L easy-debian
Then you copy the data from the old image to the new image using the instructions from this old post.

First mount both image files on different directories (using qmount from my easy-chroot package):

Code:
mkdir /debian
qmount debian.img.ext2 /debian
qmount old-small-debian.img.ext2 /floppy
Then copy the data over:
Code:
tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xvf - -C /debian
Then unmount everything:
Code:
qumount /floppy
qumount /debian
If you haven't made any changes, it might be better to start with one of my rootfs tarballs from qole.org/files rather than an image file. Make the new image file with dd and mkfs, mount it, cd into it, then untar the rootfs into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Qole, thank you for your post. This issue still remains.

I noticed that:
dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img.ext2 count=6291456
will not allow a 3 GB partition. 2 GB is the largest it can be. I am assuming this is still an EXT2 issue. I double checked my 4 GB mini-SD to ensure this was not a space issue and your math -- both were correct. Would formatting the mini-SD to EXT3 fix this issue?

I was trying to fix this, but I cannot get gparted to pull using ssh -Y or ssh -X flags. I'll have to try gparted on the n810.

Thanks for your instructions and any thoughts to fix this issue for all would be appreciated.

I think the 2GB filesize limitation is a problem with FAT32, not ext2.

If you've got a microSD card, repartiton it with GParted, leaving only 256MB as the first FAT partiton, and format the rest as ext2. Then you can use that partiton instead of an image file.

The only real advantage to the image file is that it is extremely portable. You drop it anywhere and it will work.

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free