Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
What's the proper syntax?

notifier = /home/user/sms.sh doesn't seem to work where sms.sh (for now) contains one line: /usr/bin/mplayer /usr/share/sounds/sms.mp3
It might not know what interpreter to use with your script. Try
Code:
notifier = sh /home/user/sms.sh
or make your file
Code:
#!/usr/sh
/usr/bin/mplayer /usr/share/sounds/sms.mp3
EDIT: As a warning, you might not get the effect you want once this works. The notifier script is also responsible for choosing when to notify. I recommend making a hybrid of /usr/share/dialcentral/alarm_notify.py and gv_notifiy's sounds code.

Last edited by epage; 2009-08-20 at 02:26. Reason: gogol noticed I missed the #!, added it. st5150 pointed out i had the wrong path to "sh"

@gogol First I want to say thanks for the UI feedback. This is the type of stuff I'd love to have more of.

Textwrap in contacts: The main reason I haven't done this is because Dialcentral technically runs on regular Linux systems also and there is not a good word wrap solution for both platforms. Word wrap is specified in number of characters. On the desktop I'm not aware of a good way to judge the number of characters it is. I'll look into adding this as a Hildon-only aspect though.

Sound notification support: Didn't I see issues with the sound interfering with regular apps in the gv_notifier thread? As this isn't a priority for me, I'll probably leave this to individual hacks till a good solution is found.

Audo-load gv contacts: Should everyone take the performance hit of downloading 5+ webpages for some people wanting the GoogleVoice contacts come up by default? The performance of it is why I added CSV support and that is what I personally use.

Text size on contacts/recent to be more thumb friendly: I'll look into this, probably won't be till tomorrow. I guess I have small fingers since I didn't realize this was an issue.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
or make your file
Code:
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/mplayer /usr/share/sounds/sms.mp3
you really want to make a hashbang in there

#!/usr/bin/sh , not /usr/bin/sh

The Following User Says Thank You to gogol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Word wrap is specified in number of characters.
Seemed to be the comnmands I used in my previous posts were by pixel, not by characters. You might test that yourself.

Sound notification support: Didn't I see issues with the sound interfering with regular apps in the gv_notifier thread?
...using the dbus-send command, yes. There is a way to start a separate thread that overlays any current audio, but we need someone smart enough at using dbus to pipe up.

Audo-load gv contacts: Should everyone take the performance hit of downloading 5+ webpages for some people wanting the GoogleVoice contacts come up by default?
It's alright, I'll figure a way to set it myself. It would make a nice entry in "Options", or an .ini file

Text size on contacts/recent to be more thumb friendly:
Did you notice I provided one line of code that achieves that?

Hey guys, what about when you installed 1.0.4-2, it broke your system or whatever, so you upgrade to 1.0.4-5 and DC still won't open? Argh!

Originally Posted by fatboyxpc View Post
Hey guys, what about when you installed 1.0.4-2, it broke your system or whatever, so you upgrade to 1.0.4-5 and DC still won't open? Argh!
Have you gone through the steps in this post?

I'm concerned that it won't even open. I thought I had heard reports that with 1.0.4-3 and later you could at least use Dialcentral but notifications were still broken system wide

Could you give me the debug output by running "python2.5 /usr/bin/dialcentral.py" from the command line?

Good news and bad news with that:

It opened up when I typed the python command in xterm. However, I got the "name com.nokia" or whatever at the buttom DBUS error that people were getting,

Bad news, there was a LOT of output from the terminal window, still want it all?

Edit: I went ahead and pasted the output for you, this was before the instructions you sent me to remove the object alarmeventrecurrent.

Code:
python2.5[1714]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `orientation' for class `GtkVBox'
python2.5[1714]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `orientation' for class `GtkVBox'
/usr/lib/dialcentral/dc_glade.py:220: UserWarning: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/dialcentral/dc_glade.py", line 215, in _idle_setup
    self._alarmHandler = alarm_handler.AlarmHandler()
  File "/usr/lib/dialcentral/alarm_handler.py", line 28, in __init__
    self._alarmdDBus = bus.get_object("com.nokia.alarmd", "/com/nokia/alarmd");
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 607, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name com.nokia.alarmd was not provided by any .service files

self._errorDisplay.push_exception()
python2.5[1714]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0x1eb580, 6e4a2942-3e47-4d73-bc8f-a53f9f5301bf, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
/usr/lib/dialcentral/gv_backend.py:456: UserWarning: Performing download of https://www.google.com/voice/mobile/phones
  page = self._browser.download(self._forwardURL)
/usr/lib/dialcentral/dc_glade.py:394: UserWarning: Logged into <gv_backend.GVDialer object at 0x40cad750> through cookies
  loggedIn = self._login_by_cookie()
/usr/lib/dialcentral/gc_views.py:743: UserWarning: Callback number set to 7474631319
  self._set_callback_number(number)
And here is what now comes up after I deleted all that stuff:
Code:
python2.5[1809]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `orientation' for class `GtkVBox'
python2.5[1809]: GLIB WARNING ** libglade - unknown property `orientation' for class `GtkVBox'
process 1809: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted
Oh yeah, in the alarm_que.xml, is there any way I can delete all the white space? I just did a vi /var/lib/alarm_que.xml and deleted but it wouldn't delete all the lines, just the characters on the lines, it's rather annoying but I can live with it I guess.

Yet another edit: Okay so I forgot the part where it said to reboot. Now DC opens with no errors but when I open it in xterm I still get the libglade errors, and I'm getting an error about missing an alarm from settings.ini. It seems that messaging, contacts, and calling all works so far!

I'll definitely make another post if I find any more issues, thanks a lot for your help and FOR THIS APP!

P.S. Any chance on getting a different UI for the messaging? :P And I do like the either sound or LED options you were talking about earlier, sounds like a definite plan. I would like the sound in certain settings, and I'd like the LEDs in others, so I'd probably end up using both

Last edited by fatboyxpc; 2009-08-19 at 17:11.

Originally Posted by gogol View Post
you really want to make a hashbang in there

#!/usr/bin/sh , not /usr/bin/sh
Thanks for the advice guys. In case anyone else is playing with this, sh is in /bin not /usr/bin . I'm still not having any luck though. gogol, post up your code if you make hybrid of /usr/share/dialcentral/alarm_notify.py and gv_notifiy's sounds code. I'm not much of a python guy.

Seemed to be the comnmands I used in my previous posts were by pixel, not by characters. You might test that yourself.
Either way its a hard coded UI decision rather than letting it auto-flow on its own. I will give it a try both on the desktop and on Maemo and try.

It's alright, I'll figure a way to set it myself. It would make a nice entry in "Options", or an .ini file
I just added to SVN remembering the last addressbook open on close. Sound like a fair compromise?

Did you notice I provided one line of code that achieves that?
Yes, I saw you provided a potential improvement in a single line of code. Sorry I did not make it clear. My looking into it was not meant in search of a solution but to try out your solution, see what the experience is like, and decide where to go from there.

epage are you planning on adding gogol's GUI tweeks? I tried changing the contacts list but obviously added it to the wrong place as it made my messages look the size i wanted the contacts list. oops. I think it would make the list much more finget friendly.

once again I love the progress and it keeps getting better and better. Thanks to gogol and adisojon for the added features and gui options! you guys are all great!