Sadly, we’re on some sort of PR blacklist and can’t even get a reply to an e-mail anymore. /rant
Something's gone wrong when the site OMG!<brand> is on <brand>'s media blacklist.

Signed: a fully paid up Debitard (at least Debian is usually too busy fighting amongst itself to foster animosity with anyone else...)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Something's gone wrong when the site OMG!<brand> is on <brand>'s media blacklist..
Did my best searching by phone, no luck. What is the source for this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
It said that in the omgubuntu article robthebold linked above, though it seems they've now reedited it and it's gone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
I bet there's another blacklist for whoever talks about the blacklist. Like Fight Club, but with Mark Shuttleworth playing Tyler Durden.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.
I think my 2012 Android tablet just said its last words yesterday. During last summer I was reading about the BQ M10 Ubuntu Edition and maybe - just maybe - now would be the moment to give it a try, but I have a few doubts:

.- Anybody knows if there has been any software updates since launch time?
.- I mostly use it to surf the web and to remotely access my server via console+ssh. Are these features supported? More specifically: Does the terminal have a virtual keyboard?
.- I'm also interested in openvpn. Does it work in this devices?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Heh, I actually read the post on my BQ10.
  • Updates every 6 weeks, give or take. So yeah, there have been a few updates since release. Comparable to SailfishOS updates regarding new features / fixes per update.
  • Yes, the terminal has virtual keyboard. Connect a real keyboard (USB or BT), and you can use that instead. That said... While the VK is maalit, like on SailfishOS, it actually is much less practical. I'm actually surprised how they managed to mess it up. It's no dealbreaker for me, but annoying nonetheless.
  • OpenVPN is supported out-of-the-box. I haven't tried it though, but I reckon it should work just fine.

But... on the one hand it's a very open platform. Yes, you can download images, flash them, and get root access and break stuff if you want. On the other hand, it's limited in what you can do. Normally the device runs with a read-only mounted system. While that's nice for security and stability, it severely limits the apps. Apps are suspended when inactive (unless you switch to desktop mode - which is trivially easy fortunately), so service-like apps, or patches like Patch manager on SailfishOS are much harder to do, if at all.

The killer feature, convergence, works but is limited. Of course many desktop applications are made for desktop with large screens and mouses, and simply are unusable when run on a tablet. E.g. Firefox runs fine, but without mouse it's useless.. But, currently a lot of effort is put into that, and I expect things will improve soonish, and things like Snappy should make it much easier to install applications.

Some other gripes:
  • The browser. Chrome-based, with next to no privacy related options. At least the Sailfish browser lets you access the Gecko-goodness by about:config. No proper alternatives have popped up yet.
  • The CPU is slow. The CortexA53 cores used in the CPU are meant as the LITTLE-cores. The quad-core-nonsense doesn't help.
  • The app situation is worse than on SailishOS. Also, too much apps are useless wrappers around a website.
  • The last update provides CalDAV-support, but unless you have no respect for your privacy, that's the only account the system supports. (The stand-alone e-mail client supports IMAP just fine though). There's no XMPP, not even a stand-alone client.
  • The SDK is only available for Ubuntu. Perhaps that's not that a big surprise, but given similarities to SailfishOS, and that SailfishOS SDK runs on much more systems without problems. makes one think.

Personally I'm somewhat disappointed so far. Things will get better, but the pace is slow. If you have no problem with Android, you can flash Android to the B10 (and go back to Ubuntu Touch again), which might limit the risk of buyer's remorse.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
... about the BQ M10 Ubuntu Edition ... but I have a few doubts:

.- Anybody knows if there has been any software updates since launch time?
.- I mostly use it to surf the web and to remotely access my server via console+ssh. Are these features supported? More specifically: Does the terminal have a virtual keyboard?
.- I'm also interested in openvpn. Does it work in this devices?
Later edit: Ha! Never saw the above: I will let mine stand.. :-)

Yes, there have been a few OTA updates since launch and if you are on the rc-proposed channel you get the new stuff once it is passed QA control. Native apps remain few and far between. Browser is OK but has issues, for eg, cannot display the Authentic theme of Webmin but for most web sites it is adequate.

Terminal and ssh supported, with virtual keyboard. Keeping an open ssh session needs a tweak tool (readily downloadable) to exempt the terminal from being suspended at screen lock. Potentially, it still could be zapped by OOM management.

OpenVPN works for me - not saying that some esoteric security implementation would be OK (it may well be), but OpenVPN is supported.

The tablet is a convergence capable device and has the screen real estate to play with windowed mode even when not connected to a monitor. I don't own one, as I would want a dual boot Android / UT to justify the expense.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Hi.
Thank you very much @handaxe & @Fuzzillogic.
I received the device yesterday and have been tinkering with it for a while. Also installed the OTA-13 update, but was a bit dissapointed because I had to register an email account to intall actual apps (i.e: terminal )
I think it is just a question of time to get used to it. Bigger surprise was to see all those droid-related messages inside syslog: I suppose that they are all related to the hardware drivers.
I'm also really surprised to see how similar this platform is to my Jolla devices: (an android kernel + android hardware drivers + all the rest).
Anyway I have an additional question: is there an easy way to see a detailed list of the hardware? I want to be sure the the specs are met, specially for screen resolution and WiFi a-band support (I bought the FHD version of the device)
Thanks in advance.
Regards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
... but was a bit dissapointed because I had to register an email account to intall actual apps (i.e: terminal )
Anyway I have an additional question: is there an easy way to see a detailed list of the hardware? I want to be sure the the specs are met, specially for screen resolution and WiFi a-band support (I bought the FHD version of the device)
Thanks in advance.
Regards.
There is an argument that registration is needed for push notifications, but others dispute this. It is a pity. But I guess that somewhere along the line one gets to register - for the n900 for meaningful participation, it was with TMO etc. In the end, it is the privacy policy that counts...

As for the second issue, the app AIDA64 is probably the best for that. Edit: ah, I see it does not give much wifi info...

Last edited by handaxe; 2016-11-03 at 10:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Hi.

Thank you very much. I guess if the screen resolution is right, WiFi will be ok as well.
Will check it this afternoon.

Regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post: