Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I agree that this is certainly an important issue for the council to address, and I have introduced it as an action item. More as it manifests.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
It's *still* a handset. The lifespan is 18 months. Or less. Much less right now since hardware in this space is changing very quickly, and especially in the maemo + hardware space since both are evolving very quickly.

If you want a (possibly) longer-term supported device, waiting for whatever is after the n900 isn't a bad choice. Like the first iphone was never going to be able to be a 3g device, the n900 isn't ever going to be everything the next device is.

Then again, that's always true. The G1 isn't the Nexus One, nor will it ever be. After 18 months, the G1 is looking pretty dated.
The N900 has only been shipping LESS THAN TWO MONTHS and we're already seeing bug fixes being deferred to the next Maemo version.
Last time I checked, 2 mo < 18 mo.

Having just purchased an N900, and taking into account my above statement, why would I want to purchase a new Nokia device that (possibly..lol) be supported long-term?? Nokia has done NOTHING to instill confidence in me about their product and future plans. I openly invite them to do so.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
erm a firmware release just 2 weeks ago if I remember.

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Nokia has done NOTHING to instill confidence in me about their product and future plans. I openly invite them to do so.
There were two firmware updates released so far. There will be more of them. Why are you so convinced that there won't be.

It's an open platform - it will continue to be one. The device will work just as well in the future.

I mean, why buy anything? It will always be replaced by future products.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ireland
Yep reading this thread can bring you down alright... but not me! I still love this device and was planning to changer it next year/when the next one comes out anyway so I will just get on with enjoying this here and now.
To me nothing comes close to it and that makes me happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to God's Toy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I might get stoned to death here by playing the judas but here it goes...

I think that Nokia since the beginning hinted that N900 wont support M6. I think that if people bought the device knowing that it "is step 4 of 5" and knowing how Nokia is and still come here to complain it is worthless... I bought N900 and I am really really satifsfied with it.

Having said that, I hope/wish that the "final" step,M6, brings the much wanted OS updates. If not, this was my last Maemo device. I trully hope Nokia is keeping and eye in this.

Marketing a device as a mobile computer is a heavy statement. And I expect that with M6 I can get OTA updates,paid or not, of M7.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
IF correct:

If Nokia does not support Maemo 5, they can forget a lot of future business by N900 owners. People that have a love crush with Nokia do understand it is not reciprocated by Nokia- don't they?

Keep hearing, "Just wait, there will be TONS of apps". Not seeing them and there is very low commercial support.

I use mine as a netbook and media player, so no problem here, but people that use this as their main device should be pi55ed if correct. I will be happy with efforts being done by the community, but I may be in the minority for being happy with that.

Seems silly to create an OS just for one device. I expected to be able to update to Maemo 6 as a result of this perhaps poor assumption.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-29 at 19:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Whoa, this could turn into a Nokia marketing nightmare pretty soon.

- N900 has bugs and fixes are marked "Maemo 6"
- There is no word from Nokia if N900 will run Maemo 6.
- Nokia announces free turn-by-turn Nav for their S60 and S40 smart-phones
- But Nokia does not mention the N900, just says it's not on the roadmap and N900 users should not hold their breath.
- And there is still no official word from Nokia regarding N900 support, if Maemo 6 will run on it and if so, when.

Does anyone have the phone # of the N900 product manager? It seems to me they need to start to communicate, otherwise we will see a lot of vocal and frustrated N900 users on the tech blogs.

And it's just not necessary. Nokia could do so many things, especially communicate!

Don't know where misinformation like this is coming from.

http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

Seriously this thread is like watching a bunch of emo kids at a death cab for cutie concert. Yes the N900 will become outdated, Yes the new Maemo 6 device will be better, Yes even the Mona Lisa is falling apart....but has your N900 lost any sort of functionality in the meantime? Do you really think your phone will be the rage 12 months+ past purchase? Do you think there will zero compatibility between Maemo 6 and Maemo 5, all this lament seems to come from the fact that yes, what was once new, will one day become old. Stop being so damn emo and enjoy the best mobile device on the market right now and for the immediate future(ie 3-6 months). If the new one comes out and has more bells and whistles that you really desparately need, go get it. I came from a N82 and I was thinking for a cellphone I really don't need much more, I love the camera, and I can function with the mobile web fine if need be. However I did own a N810 and loved it, and was interested to get my hands on the N900 and I'm glad I did, the contacts integration alone won me over.

FFS stop feeling like a petulant 14 yr old boy with a new stepmom that gets more of your dad's attention, and be thankful for the greatness in your hands right now.

Last edited by ZackMorris; 2010-01-29 at 19:40. Reason: *Not solely directed at cBeam, just all the whiners in here

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I agree that this is certainly an important issue for the council to address, and I have introduced it as an action item. More as it manifests.
Best post on this thread.

And to anybody that thinks were complaining, whining and being greedy, that is not the case. It is seriously a problem when you buy a device brand new a month or two before and you see enhancements and bugfixes as "fixed in harmattan" similar to what happened to the NITs without gprs hardware.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Don't know where misinformation like this is coming from.

http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

Seriously this thread is like watching a bunch of emo kids at a death cab for cutie concert. Yes the N900 will become outdated, Yes the new Maemo 6 device will be better, Yes even the Mona Lisa is falling apart....but has your N900 lost any sort of functionality in the meantime? Do you really think your phone will be the rage 12 months+ past purchase? Do you think there will zero compatibility between Maemo 6 and Maemo 5, all this lament seems to come from the fact that yes, what was once new, will one day become old. Stop being so damn emo and enjoy the best mobile device on the market right now and for the immediate future(ie 3-6 months). If the new one comes out and has more bells and whistles that you really desparately need, go get it. I came from a N82 and I was thinking for a cellphone I really don't need much more, I love the camera, and I can function with the mobile web fine if need be. However I did own a N810 and loved it, and was interested to get my hands on the N900 and I'm glad I did, the contacts integration alone won me over.

FFS stop feeling like a petulant 14 yr old boy with a new stepmom that gets more of your dad's attention, and be thankful for the greatness in your hands right now.
Apparently you arent quite getting the point. Of course the n900 will become outdated..its just alarming at the rate its going. At this rate, if maemo 6 comes out this fall, maemo 5 will stop receiving any enhancements by this summer.

Last edited by alexreed88; 2010-01-29 at 19:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexreed88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Millhouse

How about OUR elected council members stand up and make our statement heard. I think the only thing Nokia are going to reply to is the patter of feet leaving the Maemo Open source door. If ,and that is a big if, Nokia eventually officially announce non compatibility for Maemo 6 and the N900 we as their Beta Testers should show them we will not stand for it. Why should we be non paid, non appreciated, non informed and non listened to Bug fixers, App writers and indeed customer relation managers. The majority of new personel on here from Sep last year onwards only did so after hearing about the Flagship device Nokia was releasing. The amount of times a thread has been answered with the time old "Next firmware release", "Be patient and Nokia will announce" and the best one "It'll be fixed in Harmattan". This device cost alot of money and indeed will be some peoples main phone for the next 2 years. To stop supporting it after only 1(ONE) month is not only rediculous but god damn insulting.

Anyway just my 2 cents....
Posted on 9/28/07
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=78308&postcount=26

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
After 2 years of Nokia's crap, isn't anyone else sick of being a beta tester. Its like QA doesn't even exist over there.

Posted on 11/3/06
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=24803&postcount=49

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I see no reason to upgrade when I am completely stable right now. Especially with all the problems people seem to be complaining about. I love my Nokia 770, but I am sick of being a BETA tester because they refuse to QA this stuff. It's not just the 770 though, I also have a Nokia 6682, while the phone is great, it reboots occaisonally and sometimes its when it rings. Call me cooky, but thats a serious bug, and there is no update, I have the latest software version and they will not be updating it. So I am stuck with a $300 phone that reboots sometimes when people call it.

NOKIA - GET IT TOGETHER!!
Welcome aboard!!! The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Being elected to the council gave my voice no more weight. In fact you might argue I was more vocal and listened to more, prior to joining the council in September. Just because the council MAY agree with you, doesn't necessarily mean we can do anything about it. And like it or not, nobody cares if I quit the council.... Some may even be happy (you know who you are)
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade