Active Topics

Yes I understand they need to have ram for the O/S to run, but why make several different models based on storage space internal 16 g, 32g, 64g, and 128g.

Why can they not just make one model and when someone wants more storage space add a SD memory card?
This all we do with a PC is to add another memory card in a slot on the main board and if you want more storage space add a larger hard drive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
memory cards are usually not reliable and can break any moment and you just loose your data. Also internal storage is much faster than SD cards.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
memory cards are usually not reliable and can break any moment and you just loose your data. Also internal storage is much faster than SD cards.
The follow-up device should feature multiple SD slots to make a software RAID.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by velox View Post
The follow-up device should feature multiple SD slots to make a software RAID.
I know you're joking; but man. This is why we can't get any devices.

(manufacturer) "It does X and have Linux."
(community) "Can it have more memory?"
(manufacturer) "Sure. What sizes?"
(community) "The more, the merrier."
(manufacturer) "As you wish. Here's 128gb."
(community) "Oh, it doesn't have <insert shell or install method>. I'll buy a 7 year old device instead and wait for RAID 10 and a foldable screen."
(manufacturer) "wtf"

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I know you're joking; but man. This is why we can't get any devices.

(manufacturer) "It does X and have Linux."
(community) "Can it have more memory?"
(manufacturer) "Sure. What sizes?"
(community) "The more, the merrier."
(manufacturer) "As you wish. Here's 128gb."
(community) "Oh, it doesn't have <insert shell or install method>. I'll buy a 7 year old device instead and wait for RAID 10 and a foldable screen."
(manufacturer) "wtf"
Hi gerbick, If you are quoting me for "The more, the merrier" I was referring to the more people having a jtab. Not more features...
But I agree with you in principle. Better a bird in hand then two in a bush.

EDIT: You were probably paraphrasing something in another context...

Last edited by mscion; 2017-04-24 at 21:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I've opened it some time before - I think the back was fully metallic.
I opened my Aigo, and its definitive Plastic with Metallic finish. Also tried to put an magnet on it - its not magnetic ;-)
My Jolla Tablet is stuck on German customs, i will receive it some days later and will open it to replace 32GB Mainbaord with my 64GB one. By the way i will find out, if it cover is metal or not ;-)

Last edited by explit; 2017-04-25 at 09:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
EDIT: You were probably paraphrasing something in another context...
Wasn't aware that you had used that phrase. So no; was not referring you.

I do agree that the more people with the Jolla Tablet, the merrier. But in this case, I was referencing our love for high specs, low costs and old hardware and rarely finding any happiness in anything released.

Simply stated, we nitpick over everything, bellyache about the fact that we've no hardware that "represents us" and then dismiss something when it misses something minor yet that becomes the major reason to not support it. Repeat.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Simply stated, we nitpick over everything, bellyache about the fact that we've no hardware that "represents us" and then dismiss something when it misses something minor yet that becomes the major reason to not support it. Repeat.
I agree on your point there; people want more and more and it is utterly impossible to provide something that would satisfy all needs and whims;
However! it does not mean that when something that provides the basic requirement of "It does X and have Linux" is met people would not buy it.
Hell, it'll sell like hotcakes just based on that basic spec. Everything else is icing.

It's just the nature of hackers and enthusiasts to bicker about minor things, it is part of the culture and it's not going to go away easily

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree on your point there; people want more and more and it is utterly impossible to provide something that would satisfy all needs and whims;
However! it does not mean that when something that provides the basic requirement of "It does X and have Linux" is met people would not buy it.
Hell, it'll sell like hotcakes just based on that basic spec. Everything else is icing.

It's just the nature of hackers and enthusiasts to bicker about minor things, it is part of the culture and it's not going to go away easily
are you sure? People here agree with just 16GB of storage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I agree completely. Just let chenliangchen ship the product, sell loads of them at moderate cost while still making money and giving Jolla much needed license revenue to survive long term. Then maybe he can do a next tablet with better specs in the future.

Anecdotal evidence from people who seen my Jolla phone and tablet is that there is a much larger market for Sailfish than the 25K or so people currently using it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os