Originally Posted by Garage Battle View Post
1. Adding the cost of a GSM slot, and the proper electronics so it could be used on a "data only" plan would make loads of sense. It would assumably not cost much more for a data only plan (eg. Tmobile Sidekick data only plan, etc). For a company that can produce nearly "throw away" cost level phones, this should not be a problem.
Maybe. But you would still need another GSM contract, unless you don't think the N800 is too large for a phone. Most people don't seem to want this, afaik the GSM interface cards for laptops were never big sellers.

3. If I have it bluetoothed to the phone very often I will miss incoming calls. I use a Nokia 6131 on the newest firmware. TMobile provider.
Never observed that. That would of course be very annoying. But still, it's not something that can be held against the tablet, as it's clearly a bug in the phone part of the chain.

4. The bluetooth functionality is very poor. If i have the bluetooth on I can turn it off from the main screen (new shortcut they made, recent firmware). Yet to turn the bluetooth back on i have to go into the control panel. ******ed.
No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off, but you don't have to go to the control panel to use BT dialup again: Just select your phone as connection just as usual, and it will turn on BT for you while connecting.

5. I cannot begin to tell you how many times Ive tried to use it to fill out forms, goto certain websites (eg. tv.msn.com so I can control my home Media Center schedule) to just get slapped in the face when it wont do it. Tried buying something on Newegg one night, typed in the zip code, and the tablet kept erasing the field. Tmobile's online configurator site, could not understand how to handle two "drop down" menus on the same page. Etc, etc, etc.
Er.. but this has nothing at all to do with the issue of built-in phone or not.. agree?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Maybe. But you would still need another GSM contract, unless you don't think the N800 is too large for a phone. Most people don't seem to want this, afaik the GSM interface cards for laptops were never big sellers.

Never observed that. That would of course be very annoying. But still, it's not something that can be held against the tablet, as it's clearly a bug in the phone part of the chain.

No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off, but you don't have to go to the control panel to use BT dialup again: Just select your phone as connection just as usual, and it will turn on BT for you while connecting.

Er.. but this has nothing at all to do with the issue of built-in phone or not.. agree?

To rant a little less, my main point being that a SIM card slot could have been installed, and it could have just been another option for the connection. Most of us have to pay an additional amount per month to use internet on our phones, sometimes more to have a plan that allows tethering to a device. I would rather pay that amount for my device to have a data only plan (some friends have phones and then sidekicks/blackberrys on seperate data only plans).

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Actually, no you wouldn't - there is a Bluetooth feature (probably designed for cars/automobiles and other fixed locations) called Remote SIM Access that allows a cellular device to gain access to a network using the SIM in a paired device. Obviously both devices can't access the network at the same time which is why it's ideal for cars, but could work in the case of a "N900" so that the user doesn't incur dual contract charges.

Whether it is workable or not is another matter - if the N900 is using the cellular network for data access the N900 then needs to be able to handle voice calls as well since the phone is no longer connected to the network.

Perhaps a SIM slot could be included in the N900 as well, and if it's populated with a valid SIM the N900 can use that SIM to connect to the cellular network and if not it uses the SIM from a paired device.

It's almost certainly more trouble than it's worth to be honest, and we may be better off with the Bluetooth modem trick due to it's simplicity... personally I'm not interested in seeing mobile phone functionality in the N900, the device would be too big and probably lead to more side talking embarassment for Nokia.

No, you don't have to do that. I agree it's a design bug that the BT icon disappears if you turn it off
Sadly, it's no longer classified as a bug!

...my main point being that a SIM card slot could have been installed, and it could have just been another option for the connection.
But along with the SIM card slot Nokia would also need to include the electronic chippery for GSM, CDMA, 3G, EDGE and HSDPA. How much extra would this add to the bottom line, leading to reduced sales due to increased retail price when Bluetooth DUN is good enough for most people?

Also, Nokia have stated that by NOT including cellular connectivity they don't have to get the device certified in each and every country as they do with their mobile phones.

By not including cellular connectivity the bottom line is reduced (leading to lower prices for consumers - remember, Internet Tablets are not subsidised by network providers) and it also speeds time to market for new Internet Tablet devices.

Double bubble.

Most of us have to pay an additional amount per month to use internet on our phones, sometimes more to have a plan that allows tethering to a device. I would rather pay that amount for my device to have a data only plan (some friends have phones and then sidekicks/blackberrys on seperate data only plans).
This isn't Nokias problem - it's a problem with the unsophisticated and unimaginate network providers where you happen to live. Change network provider to one that offers more creative data and/or voice plans, eg. T-Mobile are a global provider that seem to offer reasonably priced data plans on top of a voice plan.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Sadly, it's no longer classified as a bug!
If it has been changed to a "feature request" (no matter how dumb the Nokia drone who did that must be), doesn't that mean it gets on the roadmap?

It seems that Quim Gil has picked it up - Quim is responsible for the roadmap, so I guess it may be added to the roadmap (he's picked up several other bugs/enhancements). The Roadmap is going to be updated every Friday so we'll see what changes tomorrow.

I'd still say a fix is a priority for this bug - obviously it hasn't been fixed in the next firmware. That sucks as it's such an obvious and annoying bug - what else hasn't been fixed?!