Active Topics

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
I would love to have a summary of missed notifications on the "slide to unlock" screen. That way you wouldn't have to unlock the screen to check what you've missed and then have to re-lock the screen again. You might be checking the time on that screen anyway so it feels natural imho to have other "quick access information" there as well.

Added this as a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
hmmm... interesting thought. I doubt the lock screen supports widgets, though. To be honest, I didn't think of that, because it's usually just as quick for me to flip the lock switch with my thumb as it would be to push the power button and swipe the screen.

Seeing missed calls doesnt matter much because you get the notification anyway...

What i really think is missing is an unread SMS and voicemail symbols from the status bar (like the little letter symbol for unread SMS or tape recorder symbol for voicemail)

Coming from an S40 phone (6500 classic) the N900 it's something i really miss because once you've cleared the initial notification, there's no other reminders you have urnead SMS's until you go into conversations and no reminders at all you have voicemail you have yet to lsiten to.

On vodafone UK i've had to set the voicemail to send an SMS when i have new voicemail as no notification comes through at all like it did on my old S40 phones, very annoying it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to enbeekay For This Useful Post:
enbeekay

Did you ever figure out a solution to the lack of voicemail indicator? Is there really NO VM indicator on tihs phone? I love a lot of things about this phone, but that is a huge oversight, ever for a "tablet with phone connectivity"

Well on vodafone UK the only way i can find out i have voicemail is if i set it to send me an SMS otherwise i get no notification at all :/

symbian s60 rules in notification presentation.

----

two things need to be done, one notification for standby screen and second for dashboard.

1: basic information on standby while detailed information on dashboard.

Standby screen:

simple icons giving notification regarding email/sms/missed calls. icons should simply have an icon+number here. for example for two missed calls, a pointed up red arrow icon 2.

Dashboard:

i like how notifications go in dashboard and maemo using ctrl+backspace for dashboard works wonders. but this is where detailed information needs to be available. for now only basic information is available.

email
notification, nokia messaging can have multiple accounts within it. when an email is notified, there is no way to know which inbox it belongs to. a simple solution can be email icon+mail provider icon .. for example a gmail notification can have email icon (at sign) - gmail icon - number of new mails. Clicking on it -> open the email

three basic email accts setup with nokia messaging can be yahoo, gmail, hotmail. say a yahoo mail and 2 hotmail mails are notified. notification should have an email icon at the top either top right or left, then yahoo icon - 1, hotmail icon - 2. Clicking on notification -> nokia messaging.

Missed calls
notification is a tricky one, i think UI team has got it right. You can have multiple entries but how many. Say three at most but what if u have 10 missed calls. So imo, notification for missed calls is fine. A separate widget giving symbian like options can be a solution.

Same is true for sms

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I agree with niqbal.

The standby/unlock screen should show more information about phone details.

For the dashboard my suggestion would be to use the status bar icons area and add in some kind of phone control icons that would show phone status, for example:
1) Voicemails
2) Text messages
3) Missed Calls

This could be extended for emails also but initially I think it would be most helpful to use for phone functionality.

This would follow other phone OS's where any missed event notifications appear in the status area - symbian 5th presents these icons on the stop status area of the display.

You would then be able to drop down the status area and click on the phone notification button to open a separate window which would show the details about each individual phone event. Clicking on these events could then take you to the applicable application, for example:
* Clicking on a missed call event would take you to the phone app and dial the number.
* Clicking on a voicemail would take you to the phone app and dial your voicemail
* Clicking on a text message would take you to the conversations application

more u think abt it, doesnt matter if u throw notifications in status area or dashboard, there still is a step involved in reaching them. my idea is notifications should go to dashboard simply because we already have a dashboard shortcut available.

now having a hybrid solution can work too
email/sms - dashboard
missed calls//voicemail - status area

email/sms wont work in status area, there is no real estate to provide detailed information. it would be the same as on standby screen if left on status area.

on the other hand missed calls/voicemails can work brilliantly

me likes solutions #2 and #5, which are essentially the same. #3 would be nice but not critical.

Having notifications in the task manager window, what we have now, isn't enough... they are too easy to dismiss and forget about.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
If I'm not misunderstanding your idea, this already exists, and I have it installed currently.
Cheers
The Conversations inbox widget is SOOOO annoying! I deleted after i got my first message. I hate how it shows the received message IN DETAIL on your desktop! What if i would be showing my dad my cool phone and i would receive a dirty message? Or dishing out a girlfriend who happens to be like next to me. Worst case examples, but i just feel it violates my privacy.

And the second thing about this widget is that it doesn't even work when you click it.

What we need is a widget that states "1 new message" "2 missed calls" "4 unread emails" and by clicking it, it takes you to messages or to phone or e-mail.

And not some huge space taking widget, but a simple small box that is fit enough for these notifications in a reasonable size font. While not active, it could be grey or some bleak color and could even say "no new notifications". And when you get a notification, it could for example, light up to yellow in style of the dashboard. And maybe you could even customize it to the color that fits you UI or background the best.

This is what the widget looks like in my head. Oh if only i had some programmer slave to make it for me .

The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty For This Useful Post: