Active Topics

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi everyone,

I'm a huge fan and regular visitor, even have a dedicated blog over at nokiaindependent.com, but I'm missing something really simple:

I'm simply looking for a way to sync, send and receive SMS via my laptop (Win7), connected to the N9. Think Nokia/Ovi suite functionality for messaging.

It's a lazy mans way of sending a quick text, whilst you have your feet up and laptop on. There are plenty of apps for Android that do this (and the N900), usually through an USB connection and an ip address, from memory.

I know we have Netview, and even Nokia/Ovi suite worked for this until PR1.2. But is a inspired developer could write an app for this, I would buy/donate.

Any takers?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New Zealand
Nokia Suite (3.2.100) still works for me on PR 1.2 but i would happily use something lighter if it existed & donate if needed

The Following User Says Thank You to PhatApteryx For This Useful Post:
Hi!

This is also really the only thing I miss about N9. I have Ovi suite working, but I really prefer something like RemoteSMS for Android (http://www.ct-designs.de/android/remotesms/)

If someone would develope an application like RemoteSMS for N9, I would pay loads of money for it!

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by sjordet View Post
If someone would develope an application like RemoteSMS for N9, I would pay loads of money for it!
"Orly?" How much exactly?

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
I remember RemoteSMS. It's a good example and it worked well on Android.

So, as the OP for this thread, if a similar app for the N9 were developed with a decent GUI on the pc, I'd donate: £15GBP. I would certainly expect to pay a premium amount if such an app turned up on the Nokia Store.

Whilst there are workarounds to get Nokia/Ovi Suite to sync with the N9, many, like me, are finding that the ability to send an SMS via the Suite has gone (I think since PR1.2).

Originally Posted by jpfsn View Post
I remember RemoteSMS. It's a good example and it worked well on Android.

So, as the OP for this thread, if a similar app for the N9 were developed with a decent GUI on the pc, I'd donate: £15GBP. I would certainly expect to pay a premium amount if such an app turned up on the Nokia Store.
Well, If similar software (web interface over Wi-Fi) would be made available to buy in Store, I would in addition to the price in the store donate 200 USD.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I have in the plans such app. It would provide *secure* web ui over IP.

So you have either to tether or connect via WiFi to the ip of your N9.
If there is high interest i'll focus on finishing lpsmagic2 and starting the webui

The Following User Says Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
FYI most apps done for android with this functionality are seriously flawed. They all suffer from mitm attacks, so anyone in the same network may sniff your traffic, steal auth cookie, send sms and control your phone.

I would do comunication over https with self-signed on-device generated certificate.

The Following User Says Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by admiral0 View Post
FYI most apps done for android with this functionality are seriously flawed. They all suffer from mitm attacks, so anyone in the same network may sniff your traffic, steal auth cookie, send sms and control your phone.

I would do comunication over https with self-signed on-device generated certificate.
I'm aware of the risk of man-in-the-middle attacks, and take my precautionaries.

I would really appreciate an application like that, and would for sure stand by my word of donation if it ever becomes reality!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjordet For This Useful Post:
It will. As soon as i release lpsmagic 2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post: