Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
#1
I believe this an interesting article for everyone

http://nokiamob.net/2017/07/22/weeke...e-phone-maker/

Last edited by deutch1976; 2017-07-24 at 10:46.
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Norway
#2
The paper referred to in the article can be downloaded from:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...01839215606951

It paints Nokia as an organization with a high fear Level and a top management with low technological competecies.
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BentL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,132 | Thanked: 1,794 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
#3
Interestinf read for sure
__________________
N900 loaded with:
CSSU-T (Thumb)
720p recording,
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 1,640 times | Joined on Dec 2010
#4
I remember reading Nokia doing the No bad idea strategy and that just doesnt work
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 454 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Jul 2012
#5
Sounds like common Finnish working attitude. Army attitude is often transferred right into business culture in many places.
__________________
BWizz - best N9 bookmark editing tool! Check it out ->BWizz for Harmattan

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Venemo's Avatar
Posts: 1,282 | Thanked: 1,710 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
#6
Interesting, although this is old news. At least it was (I think) well understood even back then that the whole incompetence of their organization was thanks to large-scale mis-management.

This same mis-management was the reason why Harmattan took so long to develop, and also the reason why MeeGo as a whole was too late to the market as well.

In my opinion, the transition to Harmattan should have been a gradual change, and they should have been more committed to Maemo / MeeGo than they turned out to be.
  • They should have phased out Symbian right after the N900 launch
  • There should have been more Maemo 5 devices, including a "more mainstream" one without the keyboard
  • Instead of being such a giant change, Harmattan should have come as a series of gradual, smaller upgrades
  • Maemo 5 devices should have been upgradeable to Harmattan as well.
  • Harmattan should have been released sooner and by the time it was fully developed Symbian should have been fully phased out.

At least, those are my 20 cents.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 454 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Jul 2012
#7
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Interesting, although this is old news. At least it was (I think) well understood even back then that the whole incompetence of their organization was thanks to large-scale mis-management.

This same mis-management was the reason why Harmattan took so long to develop, and also the reason why MeeGo as a whole was too late to the market as well.

In my opinion, the transition to Harmattan should have been a gradual change, and they should have been more committed to Maemo / MeeGo than they turned out to be.
  • They should have phased out Symbian right after the N900 launch
  • There should have been more Maemo 5 devices, including a "more mainstream" one without the keyboard
  • Instead of being such a giant change, Harmattan should have come as a series of gradual, smaller upgrades
  • Maemo 5 devices should have been upgradeable to Harmattan as well.
  • Harmattan should have been released sooner and by the time it was fully developed Symbian should have been fully phased out.

At least, those are my 20 cents.
I believe if they would have switched to Maemo, there'd been no Harmattan, but Maemo, as it ought to be in the first place.
So actually the argument of Harmattan not being ready does not make sense kindof, cause Nokia *was* ready, with Maemo.
EDIT - this ineherently raises the question; why did they not stick with Maemo? Was it "only" symbian in-house politics?
__________________
BWizz - best N9 bookmark editing tool! Check it out ->BWizz for Harmattan

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-07-31 at 20:36.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Venemo's Avatar
Posts: 1,282 | Thanked: 1,710 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
#8
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
I believe if they would have switched to Maemo, there'd been no Harmattan, but Maemo, as it ought to be in the first place.
Harmattan is Maemo. More precisely, the codename of Maemo 6 was Harmattan.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 454 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Jul 2012
#9
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Harmattan is Maemo. More precisely, the codename of Maemo 6 was Harmattan.
Yes and no; harmattan is not *only* maemo. See for instance qt on harmattan vs gtk/osso on maemo.

Point being, if they had sticked with Maemo (and gtk), they would have been ready for the iPhone already back during N900 era.
What I mean is; given they were so "frightened" by the iPhone, as they knew it would be mortal for their business; the N900 got ignored. Totally. You'd think in desperate times, you resolve to desperate measures?

EDIT: I guess gtk's single-touch nature might have hindered their plans?

Some wood for the flaming :
https://blogs.gnome.org/carlosg/2010...-linuxxorggtk/
Basically in 2010, one year before N9, gtk had multitouch support already. With proper backup, it could have been done in even shorter timeframe. So much for the single vs multitouch argument. Next?
__________________
BWizz - best N9 bookmark editing tool! Check it out ->BWizz for Harmattan

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-08-17 at 10:30.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 142 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
#10
On the other hand proper backup behind GTK's multitouch would mean having to further endure Gobject's weird "dynamic object-oriented classes entirely done with C and macros". (Or would require an even bigger backup behind Vala).

Whereas switching to Qt basically switched to the much simplet "qt dialect of C++" - much cleaner and simpler. Which could have opened it to many more 3rd party developers.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
nokia

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:30.