I've just had a play with the app - it looks and runs very nicely.

My only negative comments would be that I couldn't work out how to close the app (i.e. get it to not be full screen so I could hit the X in the corner) so had to open the camera to switch away. Did I miss something?

The other thing (which is pretty important imho, and the Maps app doesn't handle it either) is that the blue current location circle/blob should really change size to indicate the accuracy of the fix (this info is available from the liblocation callback iirc).

Anyway, keep up the good work

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I've just had a play with the app - it looks and runs very nicely.

My only negative comments would be that I couldn't work out how to close the app (i.e. get it to not be full screen so I could hit the X in the corner) so had to open the camera to switch away. Did I miss something?

The other thing (which is pretty important imho, and the Maps app doesn't handle it either) is that the blue current location circle/blob should really change size to indicate the accuracy of the fix (this info is available from the liblocation callback iirc).

Anyway, keep up the good work
Just a tip :

- I use shortcutd, installable from extras something, soft press on cam button bring task manager.
- Other option, on the keyboard press : Control + Backspace >> Task Man.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Just a tip :

- I use shortcutd, installable from extras something, soft press on cam button bring task manager.
- Other option, on the keyboard press : Control + Backspace >> Task Man.
Thanks for the tip I'll give that a go, but the fact remains that the user ought to be able to easily close any app without resorting to 3rd party applications (and indeed tricks such as opening the camera shutter or pressing the power key, etc.)

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Thanks for the tip I'll give that a go, but the fact remains that the user ought to be able to easily close any app without resorting to 3rd party applications (and indeed tricks such as opening the camera shutter or pressing the power key, etc.)
I agree, but since I am so used to shortcutd, i never even look for the built in close button. I just tap the camera button, and close the app, any app, it actually unifies things. It's great.

I'd say, you better install it and get used to it, we talk again in 2 weeks and you can buy me and the author of shortcutd a beer
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
@masloff:
@lardman:
Please refer to the first post in this thread as it has all keyboard and touchscreen controls listed.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Pressing CTRL+Backspace is a system-wide shortcut for accessing the task manager. No 3rd party apps needed

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston

It would be nice to access the Maps app data, but that's probably just a pipe dream unless we do some serious reverse engineering on the Maps app

Anyway I've not tried this idea mainly due to lack of time, but it is something a few of us discussed at the first Maemo summit and it would be cool to at least give it a go.
I asked Quim about access to the Ovi Maps data as some kind of gesture of goodwill from Nokia after the Ovi Maps fiasco. The reply really wasn't very encouraging: there's apparently an API and you can get limited access to the data if you sign your soul over and sacrifice 3 virgins. Or something like that.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=35

It really would be neat to see 3rd party apps accessing the Ovi map data and generating routing and tile data offline, wouldn't it?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Hmm, I'm not sure we'll get access to the raw data though, but rather a widget with which one can interact. It would be nice to have an api for the renderer (as I have no real desire to write one of those) and low-level access to the meta-data associated with the vector maps.

Take a look at the various Javascript files that come with the Maps app.

You never know, it might not be so bad reverse-engineering the binary that also comes with Maps (I'm assuming this contains the rendering code, etc.)

Stunningly fast UI !

I just wonder why Ovi Maps wasn't implemented with OpenGL at the first place.

Is there a way to preload maps data ?

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It really would be neat to see 3rd party apps accessing the Ovi map data and generating routing and tile data offline, wouldn't it?
As far as I know the API for Ovi Maps is very similiar to the one provided by Google (and others). It does not allow offline routing but it can answer a route query through HTTP. I plan to investigate Ovi Maps this weekend (from both licensing and technical point of view).

Tags
best gps app