Poll: Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?
Poll Options
Does your N800 have touchscreen sensivity issues?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Ewan - my N800 came back from repair in a very similar padded envelope and the same bubble wrap pouch - I did think at the time it wasn't very much protection for such a large and fragile screen, but at least in my case the envelope had been closed correctly! I suppose it's possible someone opened and incorrectly resealed your envelope having emptied it of it's contents, but either way you shouldn't have to sue or write this off as a loss - Nokia should be liable and should now send you a replacement device, hopefully brand new (more spare accessories!) Or a full refund.

PS. Nice carpet!

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Ewan - my N800 came back from repair in a very similar padded envelope and the same bubble wrap pouch ...
PS. Nice carpet!
Carpet is a throw rug so minimize the impact of the dog on the real carpet...

As far as the bubble wrap pouch - you'll notice that in my picture the adhesive strip is still there, and so was never removed to seal the device in. Did you notice if your bubble wrap pouch was closed? It occurs to me that if they only carry one standard size for their phones, that they might never close those on the N800s...

Just trying to figure out how someone could have "accidentally" sent the package in that condition.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ localhost
Indeed, time to put you on ignore, Texrat.
You can't really help being what you are. Tip: get a life. Scrolling through your post makes me wonder if you have one. Guess not, you seem to be on this forum 24/7.

My bubble wrap pouch was _not_ closed - I still have it, and it has a bluey-green (cyan?) strip of plastic covering the adhesive, the pouch itself is pink.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Putting Texrat on ignore will only locate you even further away from authoritative opinion from Nokia than you are already, which is saying something. Personally, I think that Texrat is being heroically objective in this thread, except that he is sometimes a bit too nice for my taste.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Putting Texrat on ignore will only locate you even further away from authoritative opinion from Nokia than you are already, which is saying something. Personally, I think that Texrat is being heroically objective in this thread, except that he is sometimes a bit too nice for my taste.
lol... thanks geneven.

I did get a little irritated with the little malcontent and regret descending to that level but it was only because I'm a little tired of counterproductive hyperbole and abject nastiness clouding constructive dialog. I can't get irked like that with EwanG because, even in his righteous anger, he's very methodically documenting his frustrating situation ( a benefit to everyone) and avoiding mere irrational outburts. I wish more people experiencing problems with Nokia's service would learn from his example. Even more I wish Nokia would get the message and fix his problem properly! *sigh*

I thought about this sitation a bit though and came up with what I think is a reasonable approach to illustrating why a few people are going overboard on this.

Looking at the member count here, let's make a safe assumption and say 3000 registered forum members represent actual tablet owners. Out of that number, let's say 1500 own N800s. Now, looking at the poll here, let's assume the number represents half of the 1500 owners experiencing the reported touchscreen defects. That leaves 80 out of 1500 for a defect rate of 5.3%. A bit over my max estimate BUT not too far off and certainly within reason.

I do understand that to the person buying a defective unit and dealing with EwanG's nightmare this is cold comfort at best-- but when I post these little spiels it's in order to educate the general public on the reality of consumer device production, NOT to diminish the experience of the individual. I realize most here get that, but some obviously resist the acquisition of knowledge with the ferocity of a hurricane...

My n800's touchscreen seems to have improved over the weekend. Maybe the sunglasses case allows too much pressure on the screen? It's usually inside my pocket, but for the weekend it sat on my desk.

So, it's been several days, and the only further communication I've had from Nokia was a request to respond to a customer satisfaction survey. Geez, I wonder how surprised they'll be that I'm "Very Dissatisfied" at their service since I now have no device and am out the $400 I spent on it because they couldn't be bothered to purchase insurance when they sent the device - even though they require YOU to do so when you send it in...

Still nothing from Nokia about my missing N800. Seriously, do y'all know of anything I can do about this short of going the legal route? I'm not keen to get lawyers involved in anything given another choice, but I have a hard time just sitting here looking at my empty N800 box and thinking that's all I have to show for a $400 investment.

Anything I can do?

Are you in contact with anyone at Nokia? You should be pursuing this through the support team and seeking resolution that way - it's not right that Nokia aren't dealing with this on your behalf.

What has the response from Nokia been so far - still only the customer satisfaction survey? It might be worth contacting someone (anyone) you have a number for at Nokia and getting them to direct you to the relevant group.