Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I did a complete update (downloaded and recompiled several modules); many long hours later, it was ready or testing.

Things were bizarre at first -- lots of screen corruption and such -- but when I reset the Illume theme it was fine again. Then I tested the keyboard... now it works! Woo hoo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
WOOOHOO!

Screenies please!!!

I'm in the process of uploading updated e17 packages which should enable the keyboard to work with them.

I will test them and see if it works as hoped. If anyone else could try them out, that would be helpful as well.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
WOOOHOO!

Screenies please!!!
Ok, here's three:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
The onscreen keyboard that I used really makes E17 Illume a no-go for 770s and N800s right now. The keyboard covers most of the screen in landscape mode, and E17 doesn't allow you to move / scroll the covered portions like Hildon, so most applications requiring a keyboard become fairly useless with the OSK. In portrait mode, you can use the keyboard like a stylus keyboard, but that gets annoying quickly, because the keyboard acts like an iPhone-style thumb keyboard, always trying to guess your words, and that's not really useful with a stylus.

I wonder if there is some way to either shrink the keyboard in Landscape mode (what's with all the empty gray border?) or enlarge the keys in portrait mode?

Anyway, that's my $0.02...

Originally Posted by qole View Post
The onscreen keyboard that I used really makes E17 Illume a no-go for 770s and N800s right now. The keyboard covers most of the screen in landscape mode, and E17 doesn't allow you to move / scroll the covered portions like Hildon, so most applications requiring a keyboard become fairly useless with the OSK. In portrait mode, you can use the keyboard like a stylus keyboard, but that gets annoying quickly, because the keyboard acts like an iPhone-style thumb keyboard, always trying to guess your words, and that's not really useful with a stylus.

I wonder if there is some way to either shrink the keyboard in Landscape mode (what's with all the empty gray border?) or enlarge the keys in portrait mode?

Sounds like we need to make a custom keyboard for ourselves as described on this page: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Illume
I'll try and do that as soon as I get the e17 packages updated.

I think the reason why the screen renders funny with the deb install is that I need to build 16bit libraries. I'm going to try this and see what happens in the updated packages.

Back to the keyboard: I typically use my hardware keyboard, but when it comes down to it, I've preferred the e17 keyboard in landscape to the maemo one. Also, it's nice to have the little magnifying glass, but it seems to take too long to pop up for me alot of the time.

Also, the new e17 packages in the Mer repo now have keyboard that pops up, but they suffer from the same issues you were having before. I'm going to try the same fix.

Anyway, you're definitely right...This stuff is far from perfect. But, I can't help but seeing it as having a lot of potential. It's still in pretty heavy development, so we'll have to watch and see if things keep getting better.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-19 at 00:32.

Install instructions updated.

I couldn't get the debs to work out the way I'd hoped. After two weeks of trying to accomplish what whole team at debian does for e17, I realized it was above my head. If anyone would like to take up the torch...please do. But, for now, I'm sticking with this install method and I recommend that you do to.

-Thanks

I have an idea: Try and change the scaling. If you double the scaling, it will make the top bar a bit bigger, but should also double the size of the keyboard in portrait mode.
Probably not the best solution in the end...but it might work for now.

Edit: nevermind...for some reason, this didn't change the size of the keyboard for me.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-19 at 13:12.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Ok, here's three:

[...]
Qole wait, just a few questions...

1) What browser is this?
2) Did you use rotation? Because on the first 2 screen the screen is portrait and last it is landscape.

The video is really cool! But I don't see physical pointer. Is it all usable with finger (without stylus)?

There is also a script ReasyE17. It is ncurses.

allnameswereout:
1) The browser is epiphany-browser, a fairly lightweight mozilla-based browser. neatojones used Midori for his video.
2) Yes, I rotated in Maemo first, and then I started E17. That got me portrait mode.

I hide the cursor because it is designed to be used mainly with finger. The GTK apps need a stylus still. I tried to make the fonts bigger for easier finger use, but then the usable area of the screen when the keyboard was up became a tiny sliver.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-19 at 16:34.

Tags
mer, ubuntu