Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Nope, they're just *****s (sorry, but I hate programs that pervert internet standards with a passion, all microsoft software is perverting them but outlook is the worst offender, and people using it are either ignorant, stupid, arrogant or, 99% of cases, all of the above . In a word, *****s).
I'm sorry, but comments like this is akin to a plumber cursing out the customer/homeowner for not knowing the exact spec of his house's plumbing system, when they have other things higher in their priority's list. People just want 'standards that work' within their known ecosystem - that's why we need to bring the good stuff to mainstream.

Don't take this the wrong way, I didn't bring up this example for its social/economic connotations; just to illustrate various layers in LIFE and that we should not be so self centric in understanding the world
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
luca: not that I don't agree with you per-se but I don't think that such an opinion is really relevant in this thread.

revamped: I use a few GUI apps and so far haven't found anything really out of whack myself. But yes I primarily use TUI apps simply because they fit my workflow better. And even those aren't always the best
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'm sorry, but comments like this is akin to a plumber cursing out the customer/homeowner for not knowing the exact spec of his house's plumbing system, when they have other things higher in their priority's list.
I completely agree with you ysss (from a user perspective). I think 90% of the population wants easy to use software - that does what they need it to do - with the minimal amount of mouse clicks. If they have to click more than three mouse buttons, then they will have problems. Internet standards support is really way below their radar.

But the developer's standpoint is of course completely different .

The Following User Says Thank You to revamped For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
Linux big problem pops up as soon as you leave the computers and venture onto and into other hardware, take the N900 for example, we are at the mercy of Nokia's good will to produce a machine to put the magic code in use.
The device, yes, but I see community developers making the most magical apps.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Nope, they're just *****s (sorry, but I hate programs that pervert internet standards with a passion, all microsoft software is perverting them but outlook is the worst offender, and people using it are either ignorant, stupid, arrogant or, 99% of cases, all of the above . In a word, *****s).
Absolutely false. I use what's in my corporate environment, not decided by me at all. Current corporate email client is Lotus Notes and I hate it with a passion. Call me "ignorant, stupid, arrogant" or whatever, but if that or Outlook were my only choices I'd be all over Outlook like a dog on your leg.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
The real magic is inside my pants, silly people.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Absolutely false. I use what's in my corporate environment, not decided by me at all. Current corporate email client is Lotus Notes and I hate it with a passion. Call me "ignorant, stupid, arrogant" or whatever, but if that or Outlook were my only choices I'd be all over Outlook like a dog on your leg.
Definitely agree with "absolutely false". First because different people have different needs and different products are built for different environments. I know of no stable, polished Linux email/calendar/contacts/todo/collaboration/IM/database product that can come close to competing in a corporate environment looking for a comprehensive communication solution.

That said, I find Lotus Notes far better than Outlook, especially for collaboration and database applications. It has extremely deep functionality which, unfortunately, is not easily unlocked. After you finish programming your N900, you should take a look at Notes/Domino programming in your spare time.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
After you finish programming your N900, you should take a look at Notes/Domino programming in your spare time.
Nope. I was trained a few years ago in Lotus (so-called) web and database development and was appalled at the crudeness of the tools, the severe lack of capability, and the IDE from hell. The email client now drives me nuts on a daily basis with its counterintuitive menu system. Whoever designed Lotus have to be sadists. I'd pierce my eyes with fish hooks before I voluntarily developed anything for Notes or Domino. Crap I'd even rather just use Ovi.

Originally Posted by revamped View Post
I think 90% of the population wants easy to use software - that does what they need it to do - with the minimal amount of mouse clicks. If they have to click more than three mouse buttons, then they will have problems.
Well, I'm guessing we all think we're in that 90%. But if there's someone here that thinks they're in that other 10%, I'd love to hear from you.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Well, I'm guessing we all think we're in that 90%. But if there's someone here that thinks they're in that other 10%, I'd love to hear from you.
I'd be in the 0.1% of people that prefer writing a script which does 1000 mouse-clicks worth in a single execution. I think that GUIs are for apes (and slowly evolving humans). I hate to look at the screen through someone's fat fingers, mine included. I prefer written words to pictures. I like to hold a pen when I read and a stylus to interact with touch screens...

So sue me...