Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Linux can easily compete in these ways:

1. Open source compared to locked down
2. Develop any app compared to apples process of authorising apps, god literally only knows what that is !!
3. Light weight and powerful !
4. Free compared to apples OS's so the saving can be put into better hardware !

The Following User Says Thank You to sandybeach For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post

People don't care, they just want their content, see iPhone, iTouch and iPad.

2. Develop any app compared to apples process of authorising apps, god literally only knows what that is !!
That's valuable for a developer, not for an end-user, unless the end-user gets informed why he is not getting the apps he wants.

Very subjective in the market that values form over function.

Right on that. And that better hardware should be tightly integrated into the user experience.

Remember, we are not the users. What we want if often what they don't care about.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post

1. Open source - so what? Very few people are ever going to need to or want to modify an OS code base themselves. As far as apps, open source apps can be developed for any OS.

2. Apple authorization is a hindrance to freeware developers. Linux focus on FOSS is a hindrance to commercial developers. It all depends on what apps a user wants.

3. Lightweight, possibly. Powerful, it depends on what kind of power you want. In any case, users are far more concerned that the device is lightweight and powerful and not that the OS enables or hinders that.

4. Apple's OS is free to Apple. Except for internal bookkeeping, Apple does not charge Apple to use Apple's OS on Apple's iPad.

Linux may be great if you are building a computer from scratch. However, most users buy finished products. Here the users see "magic" out of the box on products such as the iPad and they did not see that on Linux powered netbooks (which was the point of the original comments).

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by revamped View Post
I completely agree with you ysss (from a user perspective). I think 90% of the population wants easy to use software
Hey, I also agree, since that demonstrates that 90% of the population are *****s. Wait, make that 99%.

Originally Posted by revamped View Post
- that does what they need it to do - with the minimal amount of mouse clicks. If they have to click more than three mouse buttons, then they will have problems. Internet standards support is really way below their radar
Sure, it doesn't matter to them if in so doing they're f*cking the rest of the population (yes, even the 99% of *****s, not just the remaining 1%) and send a winmail.dat since they have already exhausted the only functioning neuron they have.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Absolutely false. I use what's in my corporate environment, not decided by me at all.
Well, in that case the *****s are your corporate overlords, because you'd never send a winmail.dat, would you?

Current corporate email client is Lotus Notes and I hate it with a passion.
If it sends correctly formed email messages and it accepts correctly formed email messages, it's fine for me (I don't know if that's the case, but I do know it's not the case with outlook

Call me "ignorant, stupid, arrogant" or whatever, but if that or Outlook were my only choices I'd be all over Outlook like a dog on your leg.
You know, those are not the only choices.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Hey, I also agree, since that demonstrates that 90% of the population are *****s. Wait, make that 99%.
I could say that *****s are people who think that because what they're doing is hard to do it must be better and more important than something that's easy to do.

But I won't say that because obviously you don't really believe what you are saying because if you did you'd be printing up broadsheets and handing them out instead of posting with a computer on this forum. Easy is good, regardless of how smart (or dumb) you are.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I could say that *****s are people who think that because what they're doing is hard to do it must be better and more important than something that's easy to do.
I didn't say anything about easy or difficult. I just said that outlook users are *****s.
It isn't more difficult to use, say, thunderbird or mulberry than outlook, and while those two are respectful of internet standards and of Postel's law (""be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others""), outlook isn't (it spits out fecal matter and cannot show correctly formed mime text messages).

Last edited by luca; 2010-02-04 at 23:08. Reason: substituted fecal matter for ****

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'd be in the 0.1% of people that prefer writing a script which does 1000 mouse-clicks worth in a single execution. I think that GUIs are for apes (and slowly evolving humans). I hate to look at the screen through someone's fat fingers, mine included. I prefer written words to pictures. I like to hold a pen when I read and a stylus to interact with touch screens...

So sue me...
Sorry, you're in the 90% with the rest of us: You want less mouse clicks. And you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
I'm doing better Jim, I'm doing.

"As an industry, we need to understand that not wanting root access doesn’t make you stupid. It simply means you do not want root access. Failing to comprehend this is not only a failure of empathy, but a failure of service."

The Failure of Empathy

Read.
Grok.