Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
If there's any chance of the N9 taking off in the UK, it needs to be in phone shops, subsidised on contract.

If it's only available sim-free at £500+, any potential purchase interest in non-fanboys is killed stone dead. Less adoption = Less reason for Nokia and 3rd parties to continue supporting the phone/platform/ecosystem.
very much agreed.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
my T-mobile n900 wasn't, and was advertised as such.
Since when did T-Mobile sell the N900? I bought mine from Amazon (or newegg, can't recall which) because T-Mobile has no phones available that I'm interested in.

Well unless you're talking about non-US T-Mobile, they might have a decent choice.

slaapliedje

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
like many people, i got my UK n900 from mobilephonesdirect on a T-mobile contract.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ France

The Following User Says Thank You to slider5 For This Useful Post:
meh I don't like being tied to a contract, so it doesn't really bother me. Am really hoping someone gets the ****ing sea ray and installs harmattan onto it as a big **** YOU to nokia.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
meh I don't like being tied to a contract, so it doesn't really bother me.
Nor me, but you must admit that we're in the minority. Most people go into a phone shop, or to their operator online and pick a new phone to upgrade to. Not having the N9 available through those channels is a massive mistake.
Or rather, it's a calculated gamble on Nokia's part to not distract, confuse, and steal shelf space from their upcoming WP7 launches.

Which new Nokia should I get? The brightly coloured one with the slick interface, or the brightly coloured one with the slick interface? The one that isn't locked to a single app store and has the possibility of deeply-integrated plugin apps, or the one that validates Nokia's new strategy? So many choices!

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Am really hoping someone gets the ****ing sea ray and installs harmattan onto it as a big **** YOU to nokia.
Totally different chipsets - not gonna happen without some serious hardware adaptation nonsense and multiple copyright breaches.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
it's about the only way i can justify or afford a phone like the n9 or the N900, cos i dont have several hundreds to drop on a phone. Only issue with the n9 was lack of kbd, but i could have lived with that.

I expected this news, and my take on this is that meego on the n9 is knocking the spots of the prototype windows phones and nokia know that people would choose the n9, and that it would be windows phones that proved to be the sham.

it's a bizarre strategy and i would have thought chucking the n9 at as many markets as nokia can and making a few quick quid whilst waiting for the windows phones would have been sensible, spwcially given the reception.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
it's about the only way i can justify or afford a phone like the n9 or the N900, cos i dont have several hundreds to drop on a phone. Only issue with the n9 was lack of kbd, but i could have lived with that.

I expected this news, and my take on this is that meego on the n9 is knocking the spots of the prototype windows phones and nokia know that people would choose the n9, and that it would be windows phones that proved to be the sham.

it's a bizarre strategy and i would have thought chucking the n9 at as many markets as nokia can and making a few quick quid whilst waiting for the windows phones would have been sensible, spwcially given the reception.
i can confirm you they are worried, WOMNOKIA (nokia sponsored) twitter account after blogged how i was not going to be able get n9, if i am going to get nokia WP7, I Told em no. >_>

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post

but the amount of money you spend on a smartphone data plan over the course of the 2 year contract you sign to get your mobile at a reduced price is probably more than the purchase price of the phone outright.

for example: smartphone data plan (30 [your preferred currency]) x two year contract (24 months) = 720

In the US, this is basically why I buy Nokia phones. I get the benefit of high speed data, on AT&T's 10 dollar unlimited data plan. My GF has an iphone and her bill always 45-50 dollars more than mine per month. Not to mention, pentaband phones mean I can switch to another carrier in the event I become dissatisfied with my service.

To those that think AT&T or any other US carrier has your phone's IMEI, they don't. I bought an unlocked Dell Venue Pro (to try out WP7 and because I thought AT&T wouldn't have the IMEI) and after a day of use, AT&T switched my plan. I promptly returned the phone, and called AT&T and told them it was a mistake and that I put my sim in the phone at a Microsoft store to test it out and they switched me back without incident. They asked what phone I had, and I just told them, "oh some Nokia phone" and they said "Sorry about that sir, we'll change it back." I've been doing this since the N91 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:
How we all buy the phone is not really relavent but what is relavent is that the vast majority of smartphones buyers in the UK purchase their phones with a contract. Therefore no contract N9's will mean very little take up or interest in the UK.

Nokia are effectively killing off the N9 in some of the biggest markets before it is even introduced. As one blog writer said, Tommi?, Elop just doesn't want the N9 to be a success or it will affect his plans for WP7.

It is all very odd!!

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post: