Notices

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by webmok View Post
I didn't mean that 100,000 apps makes a better phone. But just take a look at Nokia as a company. It's big and really has great potential in selling lots of Nokia N900s which I believe they do, so to me it just sounds reasonable in promoting your product with more apps.. Is that so wrong?
Big ol' Nokia is usually "focused" on 40 or so models at any given time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
The Apps Stores are as irrelevant to mobile telecoms as Segway is to cars

"Yankee Group measured in 2009 that the total value of all apps sold in all Apps Stores, not just the Apple iPhone App Store was worth 343 million dollars. I do not mean to belittle some number that is hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide, and yes, its a very attractive opportuntiy for any application developer. "

"But applications are a small part of the software and services income of the computer industry. And software is only a part of the global computer industry. And the global computer industry is far smaller than the total telecoms industry. Now you get the picture? That 343 million total value of all apps store sales globally in 2009, compares to 5 BILLION dollars of annual income for one category of downloaded content of paid mobile service worldwide - get this - the ringing tone (says Juniper Research). I do not mean full track downloads to phones, not 'real tones' type of better quality ringing tones and am not talking about 'ringback tones' - each of which is also worth over a billlion dollars for mobile content by the way. No, basic ringing tones are worth 5 Billion dollars all by themselves. "

Educate yourselves: http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...s-to-cars.html

Now you understand why the Ovi Store is filled with "useless" ringtones and "silly" wallpapers?

Edit: this quote is golden:

"
Just one '*****ic' type of ultra-simplistic cellphone content type, the basic 'ploink-ploink' style ringing tone, that is downloaded roughly speaking by about ten percent of global cellphone owners, earns 14 times more than ALL app stores worldwide, not just Apple's. (and yes, you read it right, basic dumb ringing tones sell more than 2.5X more than all iTunes music sales worldwide annually). All of ringing tones are 'downloaded' content to phones. You don't need a smartphone for ringing tones (oh, silly iPhone, early iPhones didin't even accept ringing tones). And yeah, while most Apple App Store downloads are free, all ringing tones are paid content. Which is the better more economically viable story? The magnitude in just one category is so enormous as setting up a zoo and then celebrating the goat and ignoring the elephant at the zoo."

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-02-17 at 03:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by MartinNZ View Post
this argument is just rubbish.

most iphone apps are just interfaces for websites because iphone web browers sucks bollocks. i.e. N900 doesn't need a Engadget app because N900 microB browser can display site well but iphone web browser is crap and can't display the site so it needs an app.
Actually, engadget's website (www, not i.engadget.com) loads quicker and handles better on my 3GS than my n900.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I own both an iPod 3rdGen (Close to iPhone 3GS) and N900. I'm using both at exactly the same time. so no accusations of fanboyism.

Email, Application Diversity, Games, hell even office applications are superior on the iPod (the music player). iTunes is superior as a syncing application. although quite heavy and laggy. I can just flash and click (Sync). and everything is back exactly as it was. without having to worry about repos or re-downloading apps.

Multi-tasking, flexibility, quite a unique set of apps and the potential to do so much more lies with the N900

MiroB is mostly a better browser, but there are some websites that Safari opens better. You want examples. I can give you.

There are some arguments I'd like to reply to:

1. iPhone = 2007. ok. Maemo = 2005. but you can't port apps? The wheel has to be re-invented every year? How is that a positive argument for Maemo? if anything, it's indication of Platform "mismanagement"?

2. N900 out only since 2010. Sure. in consumer hands. but what does that have to do with anything? Measure demand, right? but where is the propaganda showing N900 great sales so far? What happened to those 300 Mobiles out in developer hands since September?

So far, I've seen only the one poster. In a nokia shop near by. nothing else. When the n97 came out. Posters were all over malls from months before. There were ads on TV and Cinema.

Defending Nokia = Unfair. Clearly and Obviously, even from their conference, their attention is all on Symbian. Maemo is a pet project, that they now share with Intel cause they didnt know what to do with it alone.

Defending Maemo Community = Yes. It's still alive because of them. Not Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

"Again", its not just about "running NT 4.0", but having a device "capable" of running alternate OS, a resource intensive one at that. This equates to having "good hardware" and a “robust OS". However given that "the device" is capable of running alternate OS, if software support is not currently available, or may never be available, "again" [B]no sling support[B] then it offers more functionality and flexibility.

You need to understand that "hardware saturation" drives "application development". Nobody is going to put a lot of effort on a platform that is undergoing constant significant evolution...esp. if it has a short lifespan.
Hey it's not our fault you picked probably the worst example of the point you are trying to make. I mean, you could have used an example of a useful OS being run on the N900... like the fellow who ran Android, or how about Fedora booting on the N900 (abeit in console mode, but still booting)??

You might have well as referenced the guy who booted Windows 3.1...

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
As working in technical planning in a mobile solution company, we definitely have NO interest in developing software for N900 or Maemo.
Reason is simple: it's not where the money is.

We are working directly with Qualcomm and Verizon on BREW, Windows Mobile and recently Android, those are big platforms, lots of potential money. We also have done some demos for Symbian, that's the only Nokia platform we're intersted in as that's is also a big market.

If you're looking for LOTS of applications and games, don't bet on Maemo, as least not in 2 or 3 years.
Until there are many Maemo devices are sold, not many companies will invest in developing software for this platform, other than Nokia itself, but Nokia has its own larger share of Symbian phones they have to commmit to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdull For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Hey it's not our fault you picked probably the worst example of the point you are trying to make. I mean, you could have used an example of a useful OS being run on the N900... like the fellow who ran Android, or how about Fedora booting on the N900 (abeit in console mode, but still booting)??

You might have well as referenced the guy who booted Windows 3.1...
How is NT 4.0 "the worst"? What OS is would better demonstrate a devices capability as a resource stress test...Android or a desktop OS? How many other phones can run a desktop OS with any acceptable level of seability? Some people may find the fact that they can run server based apps "on a smartphone type device" quite an acheivement, irregardless of its practicality. Being able to run a proxy server or firewall, etc, "on a phone" is pretty impressive no matter how you slice it. Let alone the fact that a Windows desktop OS would be considered a more acceptable device to allow on a secure network, via a remote conection, than a new "unproven" smartphone and its OS (n900 and Maemo 5).

Just because "you" see no use for an older PC based OS running on the 900, doesn't mean that there are none, nor does it make it any less of a technical acheivement. Would WinXP be more relevant? That goes without saying, but from I understand, its not possible yet, if at all.

Android can not run either of the apps, nor present the content I'm looking to access via the 900, but a NT/Windows/PC based OS "running on the 900" could. The fact that your recommending that I shoud have cited "other OS" just goes to prove my original point that the 900 and its architechture make it a better device than the iphone out of the box, and if "app availability" is a concern, being able to run other OS on the 900 opens up a lot of access.

I guess there aren't many Windows apps that are useful? Oh wait, I'd be able to run everything on my 900 that I run on my PC. Yeah, I could see how that would be useless. But again, does it really matter "which desktop OS" is running on "this smartphone"? Is it not enough that it even runs desktop OS?

Last edited by colnago; 2010-02-17 at 05:46.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I think the real point here is money, a lot of companies don't want to develop for the N900 because they can't make any money at the moment.

Nokia is loosing a lot of customers and money at the moment, if they fix the "paid apps" function soon and get the trust of the companies / third party developers then the N900 / Maemo 5 will get a nice future. I hope they fixed it with the latest firmware, then there will be also a lot of apps soon and Apple gets at least a bit competition.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
How is NT 4.0 "the worst"? What OS is would better demonstrate a devices capability as a resource stress test...Android or a desktop OS? How many other phones can run a desktop OS with any acceptable level of seability? Some people may find the fact that they can run server based apps "on a smartphone type device" quite an acheivement, irregardless of its practicality. Being able to run a proxy server or firewall, etc, "on a phone" is pretty impressive no matter how you slice it. Let alone the fact that a Windows desktop OS would be considered a more acceptable device to allow on a secure network, via a remote conection, than a new "unproven" smartphone and its OS (n900 and Maemo 5).

Just because "you" see no use for an older PC based OS running on the 900, doesn't mean that there are none, nor does it make it any less of a technical acheivement. Would WinXP be more relevant? That goes without saying, but from I understand, its not possible yet, if at all.

Android can not run either of the apps, nor present the content I'm looking to access via the 900, but a NT/Windows/PC based OS "running on the 900" could. The fact that your recommending that I shoud have cited "other OS" just goes to prove my original point that the 900 and its architechture make it a better device than the iphone out of the box, and if "app availability" is a concern, being able to run other OS on the 900 opens up a lot of access.

I guess there aren't many Windows apps that are useful? Oh wait, I'd be able to run everything on my 900 that I run on my PC. Yeah, I could see how that would be useless. But again, does it really matter "which desktop OS" is running on "this smartphone"? Is it not enough that it even runs desktop OS?

Aparently you missed the part where I had said FEDORA was running on the N900..

Yes, FEDORA or ANDROID are more practical than Windows ****ing NT 4.0 from 1996. Yes, you read that right, you're prime example for highlighting what this device can do involves it running an operating system from 1996.

All I'm saying is your point might have been more successful if it involved an example of an operating system that is more relevant to 2010.

Oh and did you bother to watch Windows NT 4.0 boot on the N900?? All 10min of booting? and the fact that it cannot be used properly without vnc?

For the cost of 1 N900, you could buy at least 6 full-blown computers that are more than capable of running Windows NT 4.0.

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Aparently you missed the part where I had said FEDORA was running on the N900..

Yes, FEDORA or ANDROID are more practical than Windows ****ing NT 4.0 from 1996. Yes, you read that right, you're prime example for highlighting what this device can do involves it running an operating system from 1996.

All I'm saying is your point might have been more successful if it involved an example of an operating system that is more relevant to 2010.

Oh and did you bother to watch Windows NT 4.0 boot on the N900?? All 10min of booting? and the fact that it cannot be used properly without vnc?

For the cost of 1 N900, you could buy at least 6 full-blown computers that are more than capable of running Windows NT 4.0.
Again, does it matter? Does any of that run on the iphone? Do any of those OS run the apps I need? No, so Android/fedora not relevant to me, but the fact that the 900 "runs all of the platforms" you mention, and the fact that NT, or poentially a more current WinOS, could run "more of what people are missing", make it more relevant, and puts it slightly ahead of the iphone as far as usefulness.

Running desktop OS on a "pocketable device" is the key, not cost of ownership. Yes its "old" but its "working", but more importantly could provide access and functionality not available on the 900 right now.

- Edit Office files
- Web access to Flash, Java, Silverlight? (nbcolympics.com? hulu.com?) content "that's not working now on the 900"
- Sling/HAVA support
- (your missing functionalities here)

Last edited by colnago; 2010-02-17 at 06:09.

Tags
bye-bye loser, context is king!, numbers serious business, webdick prick