Notices

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Yes.

That's what happens when a widget crashes. All non-Nokia widgets are removed and it's a pain. I recommend installing desktop activity manager.

It has the ability to save and load desktop layouts and switch them at runtime. This not only allows car and home layouts, but also has a one-button reload configuration that restores everything.

If I were you, I'd look away from alarmed and into some of those widgets you added or a general instability that could cause hildon to croak.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao, Spain
First of all, thanks a lot for all your intersting work, guys! I really love this application though I cannot take advantage 100% because of my lack of knowledge (Cron). That's why I encourage all of you (Shapeshifter and the rest -especially ForeverYoung, but also Rotoflex, Nicolai, ...) to create a new release with some specific preconfigured alarm features, like those for chiming clock, smart email, ...). For some of us they will be very useful.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's more likely that you'd learn cron faster than it will get implemented. Alarmed is a neat, lightweight and flexible app, but not extremely active. Plus, the command line is your friend on Linux (and on other OSs) and you're kind of stuck with it.

There are examples of scripts everywhere - the wiki, the Queen Beacon thread, tips and tricks threads. Alarmed has the ability to call a script and that is almost enough. For example, you can use mplayer to play audio or video for an alarm, rather than call the UI. Profile switching is also done with scripts (internally), in fact it's (mostly) all scripts.

There's a PhoneControl CLI app that allows miscellaneous tasks to be done (like BT on/off), there's a smscon that allows SMS, etc.

It's more complicated, agreed, but it allows one to do just about anything without depending on updates. And since most of us use that anyway, it's not likely to be added to the GUI.

You can start here. Put commands in a file (whatever.sh) and mark it as executable (chmod +x). Then put the path to the script in alarmed. Or call "sh /path/to/script".

Sometimes, you can use QBW (Queen Beacon) for the same purpose, when a manual switch is needed, or for smaller intervals, or for not waking up phone. Same deal, just call the script.

Neat stuff is available at above link. Play, stop, call, SMS, 2G/3G, offline mode, the works.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ England
I have had this installed for ages, and it needs updating, but everytime I go to update, I get this conflict message:

If I try to uninstall Alarmed (not that I particularly want to), I can't because TVCPlayer is dependent on it.

Does anyone know what I can do? Are there any of those Python things in the photo that maybe I don't need and could delete, in order to then get the Alarmed update?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Chongqing
Hi, I add a new event selecting "next...",when i click "save", this app has no response.
I use "pyhon alarmed.py " in the terminal then add new event again,terminal report errors like below :
Error calling slot "saveEvent"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/alarmed/alarmed_gui.py", line 593, in saveEvent
if day == mon: day = 1
NameError: global name 'mon' is not defined
Error calling slot "saveEvent"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/alarmed/alarmed_gui.py", line 593, in saveEvent
if day == mon: day = 1
NameError: global name 'mon' is not defined
BTW,I've installed the latest CSSU

The Following User Says Thank You to Deserve For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by FishesWillLaugh View Post
I have had this installed for ages, and it needs updating, but everytime I go to update, I get this conflict message
The problem is that you are using the (very much) outdated "pyside-qt4" packages. They are legacy and should not be used anymore. The reason you are unable to install alarmed is because it requires three of the new "python-pyside" packages:

python-pyside.qtcore
python-pyside.qtgui
python-pyside.qtmaemo5

To fix this, I assume you should be able to run
Code:
apt-get update; apt-get install python-pyside.qtcore python-pyside.qtgui python-pyside.qtmaemo5
on the CLI as root. You will hopefully be asked if you want to replace the conflicting packages, in which case you should say yes. If this doesn't work, you will need to remove your pyside-qt4 packages first (and everything that depends on it), and then reinstall the new packages.

Originally Posted by Deserve View Post
add a new event selecting "next...",when i click "save", this app has no response.
I use "pyhon alarmed.py " in the terminal then add new event again,terminal report errors
Thanks for that report, I just tried it and I see the problem. I'll hopefully push a fix within a week or so.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

The Following User Says Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
hi guys, i find this bug... im using PR 1.3 and tried install Alarmed from extras-testing. The GUI open with 3 buttons but just one tap on New event close it. thanks !
$ /opt/alarmed/alarmed.py
:: Starting alarmed GUI
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to AlarmedGUI "", which already has a layout
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to AlarmedGUI "", which already has a layout
Segmentation fault
~ $

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Hi Shapeshifter:

If you plan to do more than just bugfixes on the next release, I have a request for an addition if not a problem:

1. a. Under "Built-in Function" add "Connect to network"
b. If it is selected, then present the list of saved connections named when
Code:
gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP
is run, and add at the bottom a choice for "Any saved connection"
c. Parse the selection into the appropriate dbus command like at
http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#...ved_connection

2. A "Disconnect from network" under Built-In Function could be good, too.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2011-07-01 at 23:20.

It seems that the alarmed doesn't pick up my old gprs datacounter reset date! And resets my counter twice in a month!

How do I remove ALL the things alarmed has and start from scratch?

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
How do I remove ALL the things alarmed has and start from scratch?
Check the "Notes" section in the first post.