Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Gucko on the Ubuntu Forums in a Discussion of Maemo vs Android View Post
Today I heard about the new release of Nokia N900 which runs on Maemo OS. Actually this is the first time I hear about that OS.

What do you think guys, which one is better Android or Maemo? I want to buy a smart phone but I'm confused between these OSs cuz they are both cool and powerful.

For people that don't know anything about Maemo check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo_(operating_system)

Also the nokia n900 looks really SUPER powerful....really powerful device....it runs on Debian guys!!!! This is COOOOOOOOL and POWERFUL.

What makes me like Android more is because I'm a Java programmer
Also I'm a good C programmer but I'm more better in Java than C. The last thing I learned about C is structures and trees and how to deal with it is that advanced topic btw?
Originally Posted by NCLI on the Ubuntu Forums in a Discussion of Maemo vs Android View Post
Well, Android is totally open, so I'd go with that.

Originally Posted by Gucko on the Ubuntu Forums in a Discussion of Maemo vs Android View Post

I think any Android device should be the openest phone, right?
aaaaaant . . . WRONG!!!!!

FACT - Although the Android OS is based on Linux any and all Android devices that you can purchase on the mainstream market (aka HTC G1,MY TOUCH, DROID, NEXUS ONE ect) are locked by default and you the owner and user of the device are not given root access.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? - You know all the cool SUDO commands (you know those things you type into the terminal to fix problems and install cool hacks and apps that didn't make it into the Ubuntu App store yet?)

Yea those will not work on any Android/Linux OS device without major alterations (aka rooting or jail breaking the device)

That is why Firefox's mobile web browser "Fennec" is not available for any Android device despite the fact that it is Linux compatible and can even run on any Ubuntu desktop.

When you buy a Nokia N900 your Maemo/Linux OS is rooted by default which means you can run and install virtually any APP you can get your hands on.

Their is even Pidgin for Maemo OS (in case you didn't know Pidgin is an instant messaging client that allows you to manage multiple services at once - Everything from AIM to MSN - Grab it for FREE from the Ubuntu App store or at http://www.pidgin.im/)

FACT - Although Google claims that the Android OS is "Open Source" that did not stop Google's Lawyers from sending a "cease and desist" Letter to Android developer Cyanogen.

Cyanogen is one of the leading "INDEPENDENT" (aka not employed by Google and working solely to inprove the android OS for FREE) developers who contributes DISTROS (distributions of the OS or ROMS as they are call in the mobile world) of the Android OS custom built to make your Android Devices Work and Perform at it's BEST. Cyanogen Mod is easily the most popular custom Android rom with over 30,000 active users.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? - While Google's Legal claims where over stock apps such as G-Mail and the Android App Download Center, this brings Google Inc's two-faced spirit of OPENNESS into the light of day. Simular to moves made my Apple with the iPhone - Google want to heavily control the applications you are able to run on your device. Worse than Apple they use the CLAIM of open source to get developers involved in fixing and finding bugs in the OS and creating FREE & OPEN SOURCE applications for the Android App Store, when in reality Google isn't for openness - They are against it!

On the other hand . . .
The Nokia N900's verison of the Maemo App Center is 100% OPEN and works a lot like it does in Ubuntu . . . . It comes loaded by default to update from the Official Nokia OVI.COM App Store but you can add an online sources for Apps and Updates that you want including Maemo.org and Maemo EXTRAS - After updating the software sources the app center is a mashup of all the available Apps from ALL SOURCES you choose!!!!

In Conclusion ....

Their are plenty of reasons why you might find that the Android/Linux OS is better than Maemo aka seamlessly integrates with all of your Google Account Services (go figure) more apps in the app store, ect.

Just as their are tons of reasons why you might find that the Maemo/Linux OS is better than Android aka built-in mobile Firefox,FULL in page Adobe FLASH 9 (not just a youtube APP), Two Camera's for Skype Video Chatting, it's a real computer in your pocket!!!

The point is that >IF Google Android is going to win the race for best mobile OS it is definitely not going to be for OPENNESS!!! I personally do not own a Nokia N900 but I have been reading up about it for the past couple of days and must say the high price tag is very tempting. I have owned a HTC G1 for the past year and Although I have found it extremely buggy when multi-tasking, I have been quite happy with it. I recently sold my G1 on ebay and I am on the Market for a Nokia N900.

If you are smart enough to use Ubuntu on a daily basis than I think you will love Maemo.

Maemo vs Android

Last edited by mrebanza; 2010-01-30 at 17:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Is there really any point in posting this on a Maemo forum other than to stroke a fanboy's opinion? Don't get me wrong it was an interesting read but, i think the majority of people here are already using Maemo instead of Android :P

Originally Posted by Arctine View Post
Is there really any point in posting this on a Maemo forum other than to stroke a fanboy's opinion? Don't get me wrong it was an interesting read but, i think the majority of people here are already using Maemo instead of Android :P
I would beg to differ . . . . I think you may find alot of people who come across this forum by Googling or Yahooing about Maemo and the N900, Undecided about their next device.

Everybody knows about Android but Maemo is a pretty well kept secret.

the fact remains Android is not open

Why not stick to the truth, do you not think the N900 comes out good enough? Android is free software. The "C&D" letter was not about Android, but about distributing Google applications which are not part of Android and are not free software.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The n900 has always been a device for geeks/devs to play with. The Android is a phone.

Both handsets have been marketed and designed specifically for these purposes and both fulfil them well.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
to be honest im sick of hearing about android and nexusone, the phone is crap the os is crap just like the icrap, why anyone would want anything other that the n900 is beyond me, you either want the best device ever released, or you dont!

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Anybody using the word 'fact' in caps or bold have no clue about the facts themselves. You, sir, apart from trying really hard to be a 'zealotus fanboi', have no clue about the facts of either Android or Maemo. Now the question is: an ex iPhone user, or age bellow 13?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh my... this might not end well...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Anybody using the word 'fact' in caps or bold have no clue about the facts themselves. You, sir, apart from trying really hard to be a 'zealotus fanboi', have no clue about the facts of either Android or Maemo. Now the question is: an ex iPhone user, or age bellow 13?
Oh my god . . . dude get over your self . . . You think your better than everybody just cause you know how to enter commands into a terminal . . . it is obvious that this article was written for people who are new to linux . . . you know the general population???

I'm searching for a new phone, and I'm looking for a smartphone. Linux geek as I am, I'm looking for a phone with a free linux-based OS. Therefore n900 and android is in focus right now.

I share most concerns with the first post here, and therefore I'm mostly looking at maemo (and n900) right now.

But one thing is failed to mentioned, or maybe I have failed to find it. Where is the source code for the maemo operating system? What if I want to build my own system and run maemo on it? (It's not so hard if you just have equipment...)

In the case of android, all android source code is avalible on http://source.android.com , but is there any open repository for maemo?

I can't se that a system is open if the source code isn't free...