Notices

Sorry for the delay in replying
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Yep, that's how it works. This was also discussed throughly in the gPodder bug tracker.
OK - I've added some comments to that discussion.

Again, anything that has short text and makes more sense is gladly accepted Good UI design is hard.
I fully sympathise - you're doing a great job of it.

The "hide podcasts without episodes" hides all podcasts that do now show any episodes in the current view (so it depends on the setting of the options). Again, the title is kept short, a better title would be "Hide podcasts that will not show any episodes in the episode list with the current filter settings", but that does not fit the screen.
There seemed to be a problem with one of my podcasts - that's resolved itself over the last few days.

Remove episodes- Please file this as a feature request on bugs.maemo.org.
Done

The sub menu is not obvious – it's not intuitive that the options on the title bar change...

Feel free to come up with a list of most-used items and I can put these in the dialog.
How about - in the 'New Episodes available' screen, add a button next to 'Never download' called 'More' or 'More options' that would show a pop-up with the select all/none/invert/close sub-menu.

• Make a long press on an episode pop-up the submenu
Pressing once on an episode already brings up the submenu for this episodes with all options - or do you mean download-specific options like "Pause"/"Resume"?
I mean a long press on an episode when in the 'New Episodes available' screen.

Cheers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vjones777 For This Useful Post:
Re: the advanced configuration dialog, I appreciate the desire to keep things simple, particularly for new users. Most of them I don't use. Here are the ones I do use:
* download_dir -- At a minimum, I think it's important for users to be able to choose between the internal (the default) and external memory card.
* player -- I don't think that Panucci is useful without the --queue parameter (although that could, in theory, be fixed in Panucci by making --queue the default behavior). I like to load up on podcasts at home and listen to multiple in the car, not listen to just one at a time.

IMHO, these are candidates for being out of the advanced dialog and into the main dialog.

As an unrelated aside, I flashed my N810 and noticed that my podcast listing wasn't backed up using the standard backup tool. (As an aside to the aside, maybe I'll submit a bug report for that, but in the meantime I'm guessing that the import/export to OPML and upload/download to my.gpodder.org are the best tools for backing up podcasts.) My question is this -- my podcasts are still all there on my external memory card. Is there a simple way to get them back into gPodder?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Re: the advanced configuration dialog, I appreciate the desire to keep things simple, particularly for new users. Most of them I don't use. Here are the ones I do use:
* download_dir -- At a minimum, I think it's important for users to be able to choose between the internal (the default) and external memory card.
* player -- I don't think that Panucci is useful without the --queue parameter (although that could, in theory, be fixed in Panucci by making --queue the default behavior). I like to load up on podcasts at home and listen to multiple in the car, not listen to just one at a time.

IMHO, these are candidates for being out of the advanced dialog and into the main dialog.
I don't know if I have the time to fiddle with the preferences dialog. You can already move the downloads folder between different memory cards and gPodder will take care of updating that setting the next time you start it (it will look for a "gpodder" folder in the root of the memory cards) - this is also helpful when you put your internal card into the external slot on the N800

I plan on bringing the "Advanced" button back in the next release, though.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
As an unrelated aside, I flashed my N810 and noticed that my podcast listing wasn't backed up using the standard backup tool. (As an aside to the aside, maybe I'll submit a bug report for that, but in the meantime I'm guessing that the import/export to OPML and upload/download to my.gpodder.org are the best tools for backing up podcasts.) My question is this -- my podcasts are still all there on my external memory card. Is there a simple way to get them back into gPodder?
Please report a bug for that, yes. my.gpodder.org will get some more features in the upcoming months...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
I plan on bringing the "Advanced" button back in the next release, though.
Works for me!

Please report a bug for that, yes. my.gpodder.org will get some more features in the upcoming months...
Thanks, it's here.

Actually, I think my.gpodder.org will be useful for me when it's back online. I naively assume it will allow me to discover podcasts while surfing on my desktop computer, add them to my.gpodder.org, and download the subscription onto my N810. If that's correct, then that would be handy.

What is the default socket level timout of the gPodder downloads? My downloads are fine when I'm in the corporate WLAN but @ home I have WLAN with 3G uplink to the internet. I can very well imagine that there is no traffic on the download wire for 1-2 secs if my wife goes and opens up youtube on the desktop machine and the 3G uplink is congested. I'm asking this because in my home network the downloads constantly time out and I'm pretty sure thet the network is fine (albeit slow).

Originally Posted by Liplap View Post
What is the default socket level timout of the gPodder downloads? My downloads are fine when I'm in the corporate WLAN but @ home I have WLAN with 3G uplink to the internet. I can very well imagine that there is no traffic on the download wire for 1-2 secs if my wife goes and opens up youtube on the desktop machine and the 3G uplink is congested. I'm asking this because in my home network the downloads constantly time out and I'm pretty sure thet the network is fine (albeit slow).
The default timeout is 60 seconds, it's set in src/gpodder/__init__.py.

Maybe adding an option to automatically retry timed out podcasts would help?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thomas, are there no old builds of gPodder available? I'm about to upgrade from 0.15.2-1, which I've been totally happy with, and I hate feeling I can't go back. I looked in garage, looked at gPodder's homepage, tried googling, etc., can't find old .debs.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thomas, are there no old builds of gPodder available? I'm about to upgrade from 0.15.2-1, which I've been totally happy with, and I hate feeling I can't go back. I looked in garage, looked at gPodder's homepage, tried googling, etc., can't find old .debs.
For .debs for Diablo, see here:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ree/g/gpodder/

The same works for Fremantle, too:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ree/g/gpodder/

(you can also replace "extras" in these URLs with "extras-testing" or "extras-devel"; testing works only for Fremantle)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Program could use some 'workflow optimization'.

I suggest add a button to start a podcast from download window.

Hello, gPodder users!

We have been doing some great concepting and sketching for a revised Maemo 5 UI for gPodder in Barcelona last weekend:

The plan is now as follows:
  • gPodder 2.1 release next week (preview release in Extras-Devel already; give it a try)
  • After that, start working on the UI improvements (that have been proposed in Barcelona)

If you have any feedback, spotted bugs or have feature requests that are easy to fulfill, please report them at the bug tracker. As the new Extras-Testing model does not allow developers to quickly promote packages to Extras, the 2.1 release is going to be "the" gPodder for Maemo 5 release for most end users for several weeks, so please help make it a great one

The concepts and ideas that we have been working on will be integrated after the 2.1 release (as it involves more work than just replacing some widgets), but if time allows for it, there will be some preview releases in Extras-Devel before the final release.

Again, please state your wishes and feedback in the bug tracker until next week, so I have a great list of tasks to chose from before the release next week. Have fun until then Thanks for your help!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
media, podcasts