Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
??? Why shouldn't one be able to lock it down? They chose Android's licence very carefully so vendors and carriers would be able to lock it down completely. Contrary to what marketing tries to make you believe, Android is not an open system. The SDK is open source, but what's on your phone needn't be and usually isn't.
Absolutely true. This message needs to be spread more imho, because otherwise the American FOSS crowd may end up supporting the wrong platform just because it's Google.

Another "analyst" prediction I've read since the launch is that the N900 is a step in the right direction, but the choice to use Symbian on cheaper devices is questionable, because it would also need a UI overhaul. The coming UI overhaul is, of course, public knowledge.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
The true cost of "capitalism"...

Or as we say in Philadelphia; "Yo AT&T, subsidize this." (grabs crotch).

>> http://www.billshrink.com/blog/mobil...costs-service/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Congrats. You're now an analyst.
How cute.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If there's anything I've learned about analysts, it's that they are full of **** 90% of the time.
Me being an actual analyst, I resent that. But I think being an analyst means standing in the fire when you're wrong. I just rarely am. And I'm sure it was only a joke, anyway.

Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Take a look at the keynote speakers at Nokia World, after the CEO of Nokia is Rene Obermann, CEO, Deutsche Telekom.

Seems incredulous that Tmobile wont release this world wide and after FCC cert, it seems a dead cert.
If you search back to 2007 and 2008 on Symbian Freak, you'll see that I'd predicted Nokia could leverage its global relationship with Deutsche Telekom/TMobile to gain traction in the US, with a possible global temporary exclusive, or at least a US exclusive. The next move would be quadband 3G radios in premium devices.

I may not be one of the guys at Gartners or Accenture, but I know my stuff, and I do it all on my own with no budget. So I promise that while others spit 90% bulls..t, I'm probably one of the closest to hitting the mark most of the time, as I'm always told.

I think once you get to know me, you'll respect my opinion more. I've earned my respect, and never felt entitled, so I hope you give my predictions a chance. The Nokia World event will have a small G1 debut-like component for Maemo5/N900.

There's my 10%.

The reason devices are "crippled" isn't the carrier's fault. The FCC decides which frequencies get used, and since there are no more licenses for 850/1900, the only new bandwidth is in 1700/2100. This is good for TMobileUSA, since their entire network is set up this way, whereas the others that have capacity issues can only increase bandwidth with the nascent frequencies, meaning its devices would be forced to add 1700/2100 for a small coverage area just to ensure compatibility. They avoid that with the plague, because it'd mean their devices would work on TMobile's system, something they avoid at all costs. TMobileUSA is on an isolated frequency, and not many people make devices for it yet, but Nokia is about the only non Android company making one. HTC has some WinMo kit in the door as well.

The real magic button is getting the US to force all GSM radios in new unlocked devices support both carriers via quadband WCDMA. That is what would cause our market to explode. Whether it will happen is another issue. The arrival of LTE may slow that initiative, which I support, but LTE can also negate the need for it altogether, assuming a voice standard for LTE emerges.

That's included in my 10%, btw. The other 90% I reserve for the student loan collectors and my girlfriend when I get myself in trouble.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Another "analyst" prediction I've read since the launch is that the N900 is a step in the right direction, but the choice to use Symbian on cheaper devices is questionable, because it would also need a UI overhaul. The coming UI overhaul is, of course, public knowledge.
I'll be covering that issue in my article on Symbian Freak pretty soon, maybe this morning, now that you mention it.

Here's a clue:
That analyst? Speaking from his 90% allotment! LOL

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Totally agree on opinions of analyst have worthless opinions.

(corrected in respect to texrat)

@christexaport
I don't think the maemo community know much about symbian-freak since s60 got nothing to do with the people here... lol

Last edited by ming387; 2009-08-29 at 15:42.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You know, ming387, a joke like zerojay's is one thing-- there's no reason to outright insult. We analysts are people too... and not at all worthless.

And Chris-- good to see you here. Hopefully we can get another DFW meetup going soon. I need to use you guys as guinea pigs for a presentation test.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You know, ming387, a joke like zerojay's is one thing-- there's no reason to outright insult. We analysts are people too... and not at all worthless.

And Chris-- good to see you here. Hopefully we can get another DFW meetup going soon. I need to use you guys as guinea pigs for a presentation test.
I corrected my comment.

BTW, anybody know what penguinbait is doing?

I hope he have a proto of the N900 - he did some really good work for the maemo community.

The Following User Says Thank You to ming387 For This Useful Post: