Hi,
I have fallen into this thread after seing that in the recent days I can not update mail from my gmail account configured as IMAP. gmail does not even ask for the password.
I must be a bit dumb, but, I do not see in this thread a path to follow to reach the solution...
Does any one have an "answer for dummies"?

The problem is:
- open n900 mail
- update accounts
- gmail does nothing since 2016-06-22

Cheers!

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by jroman View Post
Hi,
I have fallen into this thread after seing that in the recent days I can not update mail from my gmail account configured as IMAP. gmail does not even ask for the password.
I must be a bit dumb, but, I do not see in this thread a path to follow to reach the solution...
Does any one have an "answer for dummies"?

The problem is:
- open n900 mail
- update accounts
- gmail does nothing since 2016-06-22

Cheers!
Hi!

Same happened to me; modest cannot receive mails from gmail since 06-22; I can send emails though...

jm

(It may be worth starting a separate thread for this, since it sounds like an issue with IMAP rather than with SMTP...)

Are you seeing any kind of message from modest about a bad signature? The message may only appear the first time you try to connect -- so disconnect your account (just editing the account details should do that) and then try to send/receive messages to reconnect, and note if any message pops up. If not, this doesn't sound like the same issue I was seeing...

In any case, turn on debug logging to see if that provides any hints as to what the problem is -- from the terminal, run this command:
Code:
CAMEL_DEBUG=all /usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest.launch -s
If you want to save it to a file that can then be posted, add the following at the end of the command, which will save to a file named gmail-imap.log (just make sure before posting that no personal information is in the log...!):
Code:
> gmail-imap.log 2>&1
(Note that the 'greater-than' at the beginning is part of the command, and this should all be added as a continuation of the previous command, on the same line...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dovf For This Useful Post:
Thanks, dovf!

It is interesting, but now modest is able to refresh; I typed the command you wrote (without the saving "option") and it refreshed. Since than it is refreshing and getting the emails. I did not see any odd debug message about bad signature or anything else...
But now another bug disappoints me: modest cannot send emails...

(Sometimes it is soooo painful beeing patient to modest...)

jm

Hmm...

What are your account settings? Outgoing server is presumably smtp.gmail.com? and then, What do you have for Secure connection? And Port?

The Following User Says Thank You to dovf For This Useful Post:
I could never retrieve the entire messages while using IMAP.
Try POP, it works very well. No need for the terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Hi,

smtp, yes with secure connection; port 25 but tried with another (default; 465 I think) as well but no success.

I will try POP, thanks.

jm

EDIT// OK, I tried to set POP, but on n900 it always tries to set imap, cannot add pop.gmail.com etc (in gmail account I set POP enabled and disabled IMAP...).

Last edited by justmemory; 2016-07-01 at 07:35. Reason: Added informations

Try turning on the debug as explained a few posts up and maybe that will give us some clues as to what the issue is...

POP is irrelevant here, I believe. POP/IMAP are for retrieving emails, but sending is done over SMTP either way. So if the problem is with sending, POP won't help...

Originally Posted by dovf View Post
Try turning on the debug as explained a few posts up and maybe that will give us some clues as to what the issue is...

POP is irrelevant here, I believe. POP/IMAP are for retrieving emails, but sending is done over SMTP either way. So if the problem is with sending, POP won't help...
Hi,

you are right about POP I was just curious

About debug; this terminal output was created after I pressed the send button:
Code:
Thread 0 >
CamelFolder:get_message('INBOX', '16625') =
class: CamelMimeMessage
mime-type: multipart/alternative; boundary=94eb2c07ff807881310536bb767b
content class: CamelMultipart
content mime-type: multipart/alternative; boundary=94eb2c07ff807881310536bb767b
  class: CamelMimePart
  mime-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
  content class: CamelDataWrapper
  content mime-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
  class: CamelMimePart
  mime-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
  content mime-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
< 0 >
CamelException.setv((nil), 3, 'Host lookup failed: 64D602746BBA: Name or service not known')
CamelException.setv((nil), 3, 'Host lookup failed: 64D602746BBA: Name or service not known')
Thread 0 >
CamelStore('maildir://localhost/home/user/.modest/outboxes/GmailID5'):get_folder('outbox', 0) = 0x4a2c0
< 0 >
Thread 0 >
CamelFolder:get_message('outbox', '1467619716.9341_3.64D602746BBA') =
class: CamelMimeMessage
mime-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
content mime-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
< 0 >
CamelException.setv(0x438fed10, 2, 'Welcome response error: Unknown')
Thread 0 >
CamelStore('maildir://localhost/home/user/.modest/local_folders'):get_folder('sent', 0) = 0x333408
< 0 >
sending : A00044 UID STORE 16625 FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)
received: A00044 OK Success
There is a "host lookup failed" message; I do not know why though...

jm

I got the bit of log that explains (I think) the behaviuor:

Code:
CamelException.setv(0x438ddd68, 307, 'Server unexpectedly disconnected: Input/output error')
CamelException.setv(0x438ddd68, 309, 'Failed to connect to IMAP server imap.gmail.com: Reading IMAP greeting failed')
The user experience with the email app is that it not even try to login to the server: It does not ask for the password.

I have played with all the solutions I have found around CERTs wiht no sucsess...

Hope this lights someone up!

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to jroman For This Useful Post: