HI Folks. Just got my N810 a couple days ago. I got it because I needed to replace my laptop and decided that realistically I hated laptops and only carried one to get my mail. Honestly I don't understand how people who travel frequently can stand lugging a laptop along with everything else. Anyway. I have a company supplied cell phone so I didn;t need to go the smartphone route and doubt I would have anyway.

So far i've had a troulbe free set up with this device. it's getting my mail logging tinto home/work netwroks and also seemlessly logging in and getting mail from available hotspots where i've traveled so far. I used gizmo to make internet calls to home which is a complete bonus and will be very usefull when i'm away. Chat clients set up fine so far with pidgin. except ICQ but i'm zeroing in on a fix for that already

The Following User Says Thank You to JaVelin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by st_anthony24 View Post
Hey fella... is there an application that can run ms office for maemo
In short, no. But also use the Newbie link in my sig.

You can get some compatibility with Excel with Gnumeric and with Word with Anti-Word and docreader or with Abiword; or you can get Open Office running if you put in one of the alternative linux distributions.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by JaVelin View Post
HI Folks. Just got my N810 a couple days ago. I got it because I needed to replace my laptop and decided that realistically I hated laptops and only carried one to get my mail. Honestly I don't understand how people who travel frequently can stand lugging a laptop along with everything else. Anyway. I have a company supplied cell phone so I didn;t need to go the smartphone route and doubt I would have anyway.

So far i've had a troulbe free set up with this device. it's getting my mail logging tinto home/work netwroks and also seemlessly logging in and getting mail from available hotspots where i've traveled so far. I used gizmo to make internet calls to home which is a complete bonus and will be very usefull when i'm away. Chat clients set up fine so far with pidgin. except ICQ but i'm zeroing in on a fix for that already
On behalf of Totololo (OK, Totololo? ) and everyone else here: welcome aboard, glad you're digging it and getting to travel light.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
hi everybody

im from turkey
mine is n810

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McLightning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Hello everybody

Im from swizerland.

I have got the Nokia N810.

Sorry if my english is bad. (I speack french).

I come from Maemofr.org, but is down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Korbé, I'm Fench, and my English is not very good too !
Welcome anyway !
And welcome too to Mc Lightning and JaVelin !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Hi everyonje,
I just ordered my N810 from amazon and it should be here sometime between the 25th and the 30th.
I'm in Los Angeles.
I'm not going to post a bunch of stuff about myself to let you know who I am because it is getting tiring posting it over and over every time i join a new website.
I think I can contribute to this website by making you guys think about new inventions and how they will impact the next Nokia tablets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Hello everyone. I've been posting some, but never really introduced myself.

Hi, I'm Jesse. I started with the N800 and now have the N810. I have been using Linux on and off for the past 2 years (mostly off due to very picky apps that won't run with WINE) , but am running the newest Kubuntu (Jaunty) with KDE4 on my laptop and I know my way around a CLI, just still learning the Linux one. I started using MS-DOS back in v6.22.

I live in Colorado and I like this community. MUCH more tamed than others I've been to (I don't mean other Linux communities).

Look forward to talking with you all and HOPEFULLY helping the Mer Project in some way, even if minuscule!

Jesse~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
HOWDY Y'ALL!

I'm Cody. I'm from a southern state, the exact one you don't need to know, and I just ordered an N810 earlier today. I've been a member for a little bit, and have finally gotten around to doing this! I mostly use Windows, XP and Vista, and I've used Ubuntu, Hardy Heron build, for a couple months on an older laptop with a broken screen to satisfaciton.
I was drawn to the N810 because i wanted a good mobile device for internet browsing and media, without having to touch the dreaded Ipod Touch (I'm MAJORLY biased against Apple, for little to no reason), and a techie friend of mine pointed it out. After some research, I found that it completely meets my needs plus some, and even some extra perks! So I ordered one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishida336 For This Useful Post:
Hello all:

I have been interested for some time in acquiring a "color" ebook reader. The only thing out there that seemed to fit the bill was along the lines of the REB1200. Long out of production, they occasionally come up on eBay and still fetch a pretty hefty price ($100-200 range for one in decent condition w/AC adapter.)

I had been lurking on the MobileRead forums and the N810 happened to be mentioned. Did a little research, stumbled on the Maemo community here, and read some reviews from when it was first released back in the day. The N810's maturity was not an issue for me ... heck, I'd been looking at getting an REB1200! On top of all that, the REB1200 is in the stone age compared to the N810.

So, Buy.com had them for $219 and that seemed to be a decent price. I continued to read the forums here and researched all of the device's capabilities and shortcomings. I've been a Palm user since the very first Pilot back in '96 so the Garnet VM was an unimaginable plus.

In the meantime, Buy.com dropped the price to $199. Things were looking even better. Still researching and it's starting to look like I've just about covered everything. It looks like the N810 has everything but the kitchen sink (but then again, I probably just haven't found that feature yet.) Then, the SmartQ 7 get's reviewed on MobileRead and it looks pretty decent. It's got a bigger screen, is faster, cheaper, takes standard SD, etc.

Well, Buy.com drops the price on the N810 to $179. After finding an online coupon for $10 off that brought the price down to $169 delivered and consulting my Magic 8-Ball - SOLD!

My N810 arrived today and I am pleased with the unit just out of the box w/o any tweaking. I think things will only get better w/all the available apps/repositories, tips, and hacks.

BTW, the maemo.org community was a substantial factor in my decision to go with the N810. It's not just the hints and tips here. It's the people and their attitude. I've seen posts from people that obviously haven't taken the time to search the forums first and some people with questions that were frankly just rude. They would have surely been flamed on other forums, but not here. Here, it seems that courtesy and patience prevail. On top of that, plenty of people here really seem to know their s#@t. Count me in!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gigo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org