Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
glibc i'm not aware of any of this stuff. we all hate android but we all depend on it (sailfish users) whether you like it or not
Not true; I don't have Android and I don't need it.
Now before you go and jump to point that libhybris uses android drivers, that is completely different thing; drivers are drivers and contain nothing related to the android runtime system.

even sailfish is promoting android (sony x n custom roms)
Yo wot? I have not seen anything promoted like that, can you be more specific?

and android just works whatever you want to do but not sailfish.
I cannot comment on that since I don't need to use android on anything. There are plenty of people who think that one should run some specific OS or environment to accomplish what they want to do; In my opinion this is pretty uninformed behaviour.

it is true that it is just an ad platform but only for those who aren't power users, who don't know about f-droid and rooting. i don't like android but if you want sailfish with good hardware you must buy android.
I don't know about f-droid which probably makes me a non-power-user, then
It is true that most of the high-end mobile hardware comes preinstalled with android but this is pretty much like most high-end computers come preinstalled with Windows or MacOS... it doesn't mean one has to keep the OS the device comes with

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
u must be using nokia n900, n9 or freerunner. i have nothing but respect for you people.

Now before you go and jump to point that libhybris uses android drivers, that is completely different thing; drivers are drivers and contain nothing related to the android runtime system.
i doubt android drivers, everything related to android is a security concern. i dont have any proof.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...of-hp-laptops/ is just an example.
there is a possibility that there could be something fishy like this in the android drivers too.

jolla showcased x with their own OS in the last WMC and that was promoting . imaginary unicorn arrows were pointing towards x and the geek people started buying x like its the last good thing left on the planet.

I cannot comment on that since I don't need to use android on anything. There are plenty of people who think that one should run some specific OS or environment to accomplish what they want to do; In my opinion this is pretty uninformed behaviour.
i never sync my contacts online, i like to copy them onto the sim card but i cannot do this in sailfish. game over. thats it.

It is true that most of the high-end mobile hardware comes preinstalled with android but this is pretty much like most high-end computers come preinstalled with Windows or MacOS... it doesn't mean one has to keep the OS the device comes with
the thing you have said is as easy as 1-2-3 for computers. you dont like win install linux, you dont like linux install another linux distro but not that easy for mobile hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
u must be using nokia n900, n9 or freerunner. i have nothing but respect for you people.
I use N810/N900 sometimes, N9 rarely and SFOS often.

i doubt android drivers, everything related to android is a security concern. i dont have any proof.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...of-hp-laptops/ is just an example.
there is a possibility that there could be something fishy like this in the android drivers too.
I am aware of that case with HP, just as similarily one of my co-workers discovered a trojain in windows codec pack that installed itself in browser when used.

The problem with Windows is that any code you run in the system, whether it be in the drivers or other system components or in userland software can pretty much access anything; The system is very opaque to the user as it is made up of binary components which have undocumented and convoluted relationship to each other, there are just too many places to hide.

For the libhybris case; android drivers are used in such a way that it is if not impossible, anyway very difficult that a trojan hidden there could do any harm; When the library is compiled only the interfaces needed by the Mer libraries are linked to. A potential baddie there cannot install system hooks which would enable it to perform its acts.
(But of course this means you need to compile it all yourself, don't ever trust binaries given to you by someone else...)

jolla showcased x with their own OS in the last WMC and that was promoting . imaginary unicorn arrows were pointing towards x and the geek people started buying x like its the last good thing left on the planet.
That was promoting the HW platform, not Android. In my mind that was the exact opposite; they are promoting a way to liberate a device with nice HW from the shackles of a tainted OS.
This is a Noble Act, methinks

i never sync my contacts online, i like to copy them onto the sim card but i cannot do this in sailfish. game over. thats it.
And you are wrong again, sorry.
rsync -av /home/nemo/ toosa.swagman.org:/home/nemo/
Better still, run it in crontab.

the thing you have said is as easy as 1-2-3 for computers. you dont like win install linux, you dont like linux install another linux distro but not that easy for mobile hardware.
It does not need to be easy, the fun things never are easy.
To me it is enough that it is doable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
For the libhybris case; android drivers are used in such a way that it is if not impossible, anyway very difficult that a trojan hidden there could do any harm
That depends on what kind of harm you are most worried about:

[Source]

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That depends on what kind of harm you are most worried about:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/authorization.png

[Source]
One of my favourites

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
glibc i'm not aware of any of this stuff. we all hate android but we all depend on it (sailfish users) whether you like it or not even sailfish is promoting android (sony x n custom roms) and android just works whatever you want to do but not sailfish.
Hmm. I'm not sure what I would say to this. But I'm with juiceme on that I don't much care about Android's progress, because as long as there are Sailfish or other better alternatives to me I won't be using it.

I don't mind using Android applications on Sailfish, and I do use them. It's a bit like running Java applications or Python applications on desktop. It might not be optimal, but if there's no other alternative or they are the best alternative available then why not. And on Sailfish that's often the case as many native applications are missing.

But to run the whole OS on some Java runtime to me seems like lunacy that I'd rather avoid. I like having a real unix-like operating system underneath that I can access as the user that is in control of the device. I don't like being the user that the device controls/restricts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

And you are wrong again, sorry.
rsync -av /home/nemo/ toosa.swagman.org:/home/nemo/
Better still, run it in crontab.
ok, i may be wrong here but people don't like typing commands for just copying contacts. i love sailfish but i hate the kind of developement or progress going on.
thanx btw.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
ok, i may be wrong here but people don't like typing commands for just copying contacts. i love sailfish but i hate the kind of developement or progress going on.
thanx btw.
As I said, put it in crontab to sync for example every night... As I sync the whole nemo home directory.
Your contacts/pictures/whatever are never out-of-date.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
As I said, put it in crontab to sync for example every night... As I sync the whole nemo home directory.
Great for you perhaps. But I see this as too many steps into a past I’d rather avoid on my phone. Not ideal for any reasonable use I’d ever consider user friendly.

But kudos for that being how you’d like to use a device.

Last edited by gerbick; 2017-08-20 at 17:44. Reason: Misspelled "steps"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
so what u trying to say is that i can backup my home directory which includes my contacts n other stuff to the internal or external storage ( memory card) but i cannot copy my contacts to the sim card, right ?

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy