I know, I know; it's gimmicky. I don't care. I want to be able to use it because it is there.

I first installed the Raemote widget. It worked flawlessly. I then installed QtIrreco and manually configured necessary items. Nothing. Initiated lirc with sudo - nothing.

And now Raemote works not at all...

Something in the repositories are conflicting. Please help me. I can't live with a non functioning hardware component - even if I never use it again. It is counter to my being.

(Do I have to install the power kernel? I plan on doing that anyway.)

Many thanks,

Abe

Last edited by Old Abe; 2012-01-04 at 16:50. Reason: Mistype

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
I know, I know; it's gimmicky. I don't care. I want to be able to use it because it is there.
Not a gimmick! Lots and lots and lots of devices out there have IR ports, and you can (in theory) control them all. I certainly have fun with it.

I first installed the Raemote widget. It worked flawlessly. I then installed QtIrreco and manually configured necessary items. Nothing. Initiated lirc with sudo - nothing.

And now Raemote works not at all...
Both Raemote and QtIrreco depend on the LIRC server; if that server is not up and running, they can't access the IR device. (And if you had Raemote running, then it had already installed and started the LIRC server for you.)

If this is the problem, you should probably be able to get the server up again by running something like "/etc/init.d/lirc start" from the command line (as root).

EDIT: oops, I guess you tried that already. Still, I would look to what is up with LIRC if both IR apps are failing. Also, LIRC depends on the lirc_rx51 kernel module, so if it is maybe having trouble running the modprobe, that could be something to check. (Basically, if /dev/lirc0 exists, then the module should have been loaded correctly.)

(Do I have to install the power kernel? I plan on doing that anyway.)
I gotta say, throwing an entirely new kernel onto the device can only increase the possible number of things that can go wrong, not decrease them. The IR hardware works perfectly fine under the stock kernel.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2012-01-04 at 17:40. Reason: Misread original post

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Old abe, seriously think about getting another phone so you can refer to it when you brake your dev one

edit,
It serves as a clean device and a backup

Last edited by bingomion; 2012-01-05 at 00:12.

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Old abe, seriously think about getting another phone so you can refer to it when you brake your dev one
What is that supposed to mean? You think me incompetent? Why, because I considered that I might require the "power" kernel when I couldn't get QtIrreco functioning? In my defense, I'm just beginning on this platform. I haven't spent more than 6 hours with it. I didn't know if QtIrreco called some feature only available within the "power" kernel that was unavailable otherwise. That isn't too far fetched.

And for the record: I generally find breaking things satisfying and fulfilling. My new handy N900 is my new toy of the month. Given my record, there is really no way I won't somehow destroy two iterations before I'm happy with the third outcome.

Finally, I specialize in BSD/UNIX with an emphasis on networking and infosec. I'm rather useless when it comes to things like drivers or the particulars of mobile hardware. I will probably be asking a lot of annoying questions in the forum - be on the lookout.

Cheers,

Abe

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
oh no
you miss understood! I know what i'm like, If i break something on my dev phone, I have my stable testing phone... not that i'm a developer.. but i tinker... emulators

I'm just saying, having a second device has saved me... especially having backupmenu to create snapshots!!

And I have QtIrreco working without kp49?? anyway

bingomion,

I was only teasing you. My humour really doesn't translate into text.

I very much need a backup phone. I'm currently in the market for one. Other community members have been very helpful in aiding me. You don't know of any new, unopened models in stock at any stores do you?

Also, I can't get QtIrreco to work. I'm not sure what the issue is. First there was the fact that the original writer has stopped serving the remotes and after fixing that issue and manually configuring things I still can't seem to get it to work. I'm not so interested in this application so I'm not very motivated to go in and look through the code. Any ideas? Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Thanks,

Abe

Originally Posted by bingomion View Post

edit,
It serves as a clean device and a backup
It's not that easy to get another one; I've been trying for a month now.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Youre going to find a lot of apps are quirky. qtirreco has done this to me a few times and just removing it and reinstalling it usually gets it going.

TVbgone is probably one of my favorite apps spits out something like over a hundred off codes in about 90 seconds. Nothing better than sitting in the bar during sporting events and shutting off the big screens. No one ever thinks it could be from a phone because there really arent any phones with an IR port

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post: