Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Everyone raises valid points around the strengths of N9/Note etc. Android ICS is much better in closing the gap that kept me away from Android. Multi tasking still isnt fine tuned and it feels like an after thought. What do i mean? well you can return to the home/app screen by still using the virtual home key. I much prefer where you are forced to use the multi tasking gesture (like Harmattan and webOS) as this enforces the goodness of multi tasking and allows you to better understand whats open.

Having used ICS on my touchpad I found that i would constantly open apps and then re open them from the app screen not realising they were already running and visible in the multi tasking window. The swipe left/right to close is a sweet touch but it all doesnt ...feel right. Not like the N9.

Now as far as the N9 goes - Multi tasking is the only thing going for itself. Thats my opinion and not a fact. I am beginning to enjoy the tweaks coming to the N9 but I find myself bored quite often using the N9. I hate doing the "the N900 could do this..but N9 cant" but the N900 really had so many features embedded in it allowed you to really explore and customise the phone to your liking. Every part of it. It might be too early to judge N9 right now but as it stands I struggle.

N9 absolutely suffers from lag. I am convinced that Nokia cannot produce a high end N series phone which has it all. Want a demonstration? go to your IM accounts and hit "All Online". Now watch the N9 suffer in pain as it tries to log into each account and organise the address book by availability status. Now try to scroll up and down the address book. Major Lag. There just isnt a smooth experience. Now try to have a conversation with more than one contact. There is a LOT of potential here and i only feel that further optimisation is needed. N9 isnt bad but it isnt the real alternative to the iphone/androids out there.
The browser is pain and the VKB really isnt as easy to use for me as I had hoped.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
getting more confuse right now,

Everyone has different opinions. Ive tried the sgs2 and after a day i was so happy getting my n9 back.
my n9 is going in for service to replace the screen and in that time the only backup i have is 3gs my screen has been faulty seens new but i have waited 3 months to send it in because i dont want to be without my n9

The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper_swe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Everyone raises valid points around the strengths of N9/Note etc. Android ICS is much better in closing the gap that kept me away from Android. Multi tasking still isnt fine tuned and it feels like an after thought. What do i mean? well you can return to the home/app screen by still using the virtual home key. I much prefer where you are forced to use the multi tasking gesture (like Harmattan and webOS) as this enforces the goodness of multi tasking and allows you to better understand whats open.

Having used ICS on my touchpad I found that i would constantly open apps and then re open them from the app screen not realising they were already running and visible in the multi tasking window. The swipe left/right to close is a sweet touch but it all doesnt ...feel right. Not like the N9.

Now as far as the N9 goes - Multi tasking is the only thing going for itself. Thats my opinion and not a fact. I am beginning to enjoy the tweaks coming to the N9 but I find myself bored quite often using the N9. I hate doing the "the N900 could do this..but N9 cant" but the N900 really had so many features embedded in it allowed you to really explore and customise the phone to your liking. Every part of it. It might be too early to judge N9 right now but as it stands I struggle.

N9 absolutely suffers from lag. I am convinced that Nokia cannot produce a high end N series phone which has it all. Want a demonstration? go to your IM accounts and hit "All Online". Now watch the N9 suffer in pain as it tries to log into each account and organise the address book by availability status. Now try to scroll up and down the address book. Major Lag. There just isnt a smooth experience. Now try to have a conversation with more than one contact. There is a LOT of potential here and i only feel that further optimisation is needed. N9 isnt bad but it isnt the real alternative to the iphone/androids out there.
The browser is pain and the VKB really isnt as easy to use for me as I had hoped.
Interesting opinion...
Let me say some words about
"N9 isnt bad but it isnt the real alternative to the iphone/androids out there."

I recently had a chance to use iPhone 4s 64gb, allegedly the holliest of holliest, people-kill-for, most expensive smartphone on the market nowadays...
and compare it to my N9 16gb...

it`s simply a PAIN IN THE ***... the AppStore pretty much saves it...
aged, boring UI, hasn`t changed at least 3 yrs...I don`t even think they will come up with some refreshment on anticipated iPhone 5, it` s really ridiculous...
speaking of lags, it`s FULL of it...dual-core CPU is simply not enough...
I can honestly say I wasn`t impressed by its performance in any way...
yep, Safari reacts good but it`s nothing compared to the N9`s super-fast swiping gestures or beatiful multitasking...

and yep, the N9 has some bugs, but I`m saying this again:
it`s a masterpiece.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
I come from a shitty Android phone.
I love my N9 but must admit there are quite some limitations, especially in terms of customization.
To name a few:
* Cannot see calendar events "widget-like", or in the "screen-saver"
* cannot disable weather "widget"
* Cannot see clock in the standby screen while playing music
* Cannot see more than one MFE calendar (bug ?!)
* No gmail push support - "up to date" option on MFE gmail account will drain battery
* No google map (Ovi map is incredibly slow)
* Browser is ok, but user-agent is usually recognized as "desktop"
* idlle leakage bug
* it lacks some key apps
* Not able to resynch MFE after a failure

The rest is good (to me):
* Design
* camera
* smoothness
* SIP VoIP integration

In the end, I would have a look at ICS... However, my point is that I would be more than happy with an Android 2.3+ release... !

Last edited by KTy; 2012-02-22 at 06:12.

Calendar events widget like: use organizerfeed.
Calendar events on LPM/standbyscreen: should be possible to do, as simple hacks allow any text/picture up there, perhaps ask the guy who does organizerfeed -- btw you can't possibly consider this a negative versus android - on android, you don't even get a clock when the phone is idle/standby, even if there are plenty of devices with an OLED screen that could easily do it
Clock in standby screen while playing music: perhaps it can be put at the top, as on the home screens?
Disable weather widget: just deinstall the related program (accuweather?)

Ovi maps slow? perhaps your phone has to load huge map data? Google maps is just tiles being displayed; and downloaded if the phone didn't have them yet. Useless abroad in many cases.
I find Ovi maps quite ok, it's slow to start, but after that it's quite fine.

As for your other points, I agree to them or don't have experience there.

Last edited by aRTee; 2012-02-22 at 08:18.

Of course everything can be hacked.
Point is current N9 PR1.1 is almost immature...sadly

Forgot to reply on Map.

I am in Singapore, map is heavy. I can tell you that my old android phone is way faster, smoother, efficient that the Ovi map.
This is the only apps that lags on my N9, a shame.

Let's see how usable ICS will be.

KTy, try using google maps without any internet connection (location with no reception, etc), then try the same with Ovi maps.

Also, google knows where you are. Nokia doesn't. And it's none of either's business.
BTW on Android there are plenty of offline mapping and routing solutions too, but most don't come close to Ovi maps. (I only tried free ones, favourites are OSMAND and Navit.)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
It's just fact that Nokia didn't give it all it had to the MeeGo project. If they did release the N9 before the holiday season (December) in 2010 then their shares/wealth would've been a completely different direction today. It's just a case of too little, too late -regardless of your level of bias..
If the strategy had remained in full swing, I reckon we'd have had a 3rd Maemo6x ph announced ages ago.
And I reckon it would be shipping any day now, if not already...
There was at least 1 more in the wings as a stop-gap, in case real MeeGo & the 1st x86 phone needed till H1 12'.*
That now is quite apparent, so we'd have had a 3rd one using the U8500 or an OMAP4-based SoC.

*It was even clearly marked as such in the road-maps at one point prior to January 2011.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-23 at 22:54.