Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Madison, WI
My screen clicks when I push down on it. At first it was just the top right corner and now it clicks at the bottom too. Yes, it clicks when the phone is off.

The Following User Says Thank You to dustme.com For This Useful Post:
anyones clicking/loose near the left of the nokia logo? on the fame top and bottom?

mine doesnt do that but from rubbing my finger down front the top left of the screen nr the front cam all the way down to the led, u can feel bumps ( the cam sits way under the height of the mic) with the plastic screen ontop. maybe yours is raised more then it should be and causing a gap to creek?

My N900 also rattles in the same place when I shake it. Perhaps it is a switch for determining the screen orientation? I had a camera that did the same.

Originally Posted by jxwolf View Post
My N900 also rattles in the same place when I shake it. Perhaps it is a switch for determining the screen orientation? I had a camera that did the same.
I'm having the same problem, and I think it's the IR port's cover that rattles, can you confirm this?

Anyone else having the same problem?

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
though i was lucky with keyboard frame but it seem after one month frame is flexing up around x and c keys
i wonder how hard would it be to replace it if nokia come up with better quality frame because one they using now will go funny for just about anyone after some weeks of months, i think there is two screws holding it in place so i'm not too worry and it is for now nothing more but cosmetic issue but still, with top class device like the n900 we shouldn't have such issues

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Has anyone called Nokia about the screen clicking? Or has anyone been able to determine it isn't just the screen flexing, but an gap on the edges? Of course now that I'm in this thread my screen isn't doing it.

The "rattle" sound coming from the camera area is the accelerometer I believe. As for the clicky screen, isn't this because its a resistive screen so contact has to be made between two layers in order to register a touch? N900 is my first touchscreen phone, so I don't have much experience with other resistive screens, but I thought the somewhat "clicky" nature of the screen under a certain level of pressure was normal. Am I wrong?

the accelerometer is solid state so it should not rattle.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
[...] but I thought the somewhat "clicky" nature of the screen under a certain level of pressure was normal. Am I wrong?
Yes :P

The resistive screen is very close, contact is made when you lightly touch the screen. The play you see when pushing down is the resistive assembly bending down to the LCD, equivalent to pushing on a monitor until you see the colors shift/wave.

The play is very, very small. Any visible play would affect precision substantially, especially for small controls. There's a topic out there with some ruler on the draw app and it's really, really precise.

Also, the resistive isn't floating on air, so that vibration doesn't randomly touch it. There's a layer between layers, the screen is pretty much solid state.

Back on track, I have no rattle but the lower edge of the keyboard is not glued to the phone and it's annoying but it's there in both my N900s.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Tags
lack of quality control, shitty design