Originally Posted by jean2323 View Post
with so many tablets and phones coming this year, nokia is going to lose a major slice of its market share ... sure, they make more money selling a low end phone because they are so much cheaper to produce and not that cheap to sell ... but, the others make money selling the phone and selling services with the phone ... apple store and android store put to shame nokia's efforts to launch ovi

what a shame ovi store is ... it was relaunched several times ... but still fails to deliver

n95/n82 were so good ... for their times ... sure, one of the ugliest phones on the market, with an interface that was years behinds iphone's ... but those phones were not for fun, they were/are great instruments ... 3 years from n95/n82 ... and? n97? n900?

except keyboard, screen and speed ... nothing! (few things are worse!!) everyone could and did add these to their phone ... what is nokia's edge?

n900 ... if the new firmware will just fix some bugs ... the phone won't have a chance!
Long thread so don't know if I replied, but Nokia already has lost A LOT of market share. They went from ~33% of global smartphone market share to somewhere between 14 and 17% (don't recall exact) in 12-months. Why? Primarily iPhone, but also their dated MfE (PIM in general) and generally not keeping in touch with what customers want/expect/demand (yes, customers have the money so they can demand or walk).

What I've seen in bugs and in general. Degrading customers, lecturing customers or saying "don't make useless comments" in bugs/forums, closing things as WONTFIX that are basically on every moder platform, saying something is too complex so WONTFIX yet it is something people want - wants become needs. Many are giving Nokia benefit of the doubt to address the issues on the N900 - what everyone is watching. I can't recall seeing a review that doesn't address some of the fail by saying something to the effect of "we imagine Nokia will address this in an update" - many times they are talking about something that I've seen closed as WONTFIX, pushed to debatestorming black hole or sent for consideration in Harmattan. One or two things - no biggie, but the aggregate of all these things is big and not addressing a good portion of them will work against them. Period. That market share will continue to slide.

What I've seen, or I should say, didn't see in the first major update doesn't look good. They already have a lot working against them in the hardware area: this is a 2010 flagship phone and many high-end phones (yet cheaper than even the new price on the N900) are 1GHz, 512/512, with a lot of the same or better hardware physical specs. And, while subjective I agree, this thing IMO and comments I've received, not a good looking device. Someone the other days made what I thought is an appropriate analogy: "it's like when some car manufacturers thought bringing back the 1950s look in cars is a good idea and most were quickly discontinued because it wasn't except this is like bringing back a brick phone when everyone wants more in smaller packages and a sexy, eye catching look." It's a nit for me and not a major deal other than if I don't wear a belt and throw it in my back pocket, but there is a reason a certain other phone is continuing to grow global market share - it's looks and simplicity. Don't know anyone that has one that the first thing out of their mouth doesn't have something to do with its looks or how easy it is to use.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the underlying power of Mameo for those of us here yet have the convenience of not having to get into xterm to do something that should be in the interface? For me it would. I have no question that if they focused on a few enhancements and increased granularity in settings (something as simple as turning OFF the wifi radio very easily, which was closed as WONTFIX or profile settings so you can set it to vibrate, but not for every friggin email you get) and giving some enhancements like being able to choose how often each email updates independently of each other, disabling/require manual refresh of an email account w/out having to remove it, favorites or speed dial available in phone, smaller contact shortcuts, GET MAPS RIGHT, choose what you want to see in the status area (I know powatool, which is cool, is coming), light for video, etc. would address a lot of issues I have seen complained about out there (and mine). Then take care of a few glaring problems such as BT, IMAP and EAS and now you have something that is on level with other phones.

I know these seem like simple, little nits, but I have many more and others have some I've never noticed. Add them up and it's a problem. Don't address them - do ya think anyone will buy the next Nokia anything? If they just did what I listed, this phone would easily stand out above w/out question. Right now, there is question and why there isn't a review that doesn't say something about "potential" - that means it's not there yet.

What'd we get in this update? Well, let's see, they solved this "problem":

"Drops WLAN connection to Linksys WRT610N after 10-15 minutes"

No votes, only one user interaction (the reporter) - huh? I have 3 WRT610Ns in one house and two in another. I have one in my parents' house. I am on WRT610N 90% of the time and have NEVER had an issue and I keep my power saving mode maximum on two and intermediate on the others. OK, so it references another bug, which was already fixed in what it launched with! Why is it referenced as fixed in their first firmware update? It was closed and verified as fixed (the referenced bug that actually fixed the issue) BEFORE PR1.1 was released.

I was skimming through the PR1.1 wiki looking at what they said was addressed and thinking, "that doesn't make sense - I never had that issue" or "that feature was already there - what am I not understanding" then chose the above at random to get to the root of this. Seems they made a laundry list as their first firmware update looking like more was done or I am missing something here. I'm not going to bother researching everything, but seems to be somewhere around 1/3 of what is listed had nothing to do w/PR1.1.

They get through PR1.2 and if a lot of this stuff isn't addressed halfway into the selling cycle, those giving them the benefit of doubt and hoping for more will realize that's not going to happen - the only thing they can expect are more icons.

You can have an awesome display and resolution, excellent spec sheet, but if you can't do anything but say it has potential, it doesn't mean much.

Sounds negative, but I couldn't be more disappointed in the update I was looking forward to. I got some icons, got browser in portrait mode (this is awesome), lost red pill (I guess not a huge deal, but why?), made bluetooth disconnects worse and fixed a bunch of bugs I never noticed. Many I checked on and didn't have many votes or much activity. Yet, those with a lot of activity, tons of votes weren't addressed, are still swinging in the wind and when a paying customer (each one adds up to market share) expresses disappointment in a bug, they get told to go to h*ll and not leave "useless comments". Wake up Nokia/Maemo, this phone is bound to attract more than nerds so change your modus operandi in dealing with customers. OR, market your phone different.

Disclaimer (because this is what you need to enter when you are a Nokia employee coming to defend another Nokia employee against a CUSTOMER in bugs so now you can gang up on a CUSTOMER without worrying about it): This is my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of Nokia or Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to hex900 For This Useful Post: