Active Topics

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm "little" skeptical about effectiveness of this (it affect handling caching filesystem vs. application data in RAM, and RAM use same ammount of power, no matter if You got 200 used or 200 free...), at least, unless someone may provide hard proof via - for example - 'bq27200.sh 5' current monitoring of ~30 minutes in idle, in same N900 with only this setting changed. AFAIK, no one proved real benefit here, so I may be wrong.

Still, thanks for Your work, monitoring dbus signals may be useful in other cases
It's totally okay, I'm loving the conversation

Well let's say the CPU Freq/voltage script provided a change which is though of as a placebo, the vfs_cache_pressure mod was also not effective and enhanced the placebo effect, the SIGSTOP mod should do the battery saving then.

I mean, you've got there three factors which are supposed to save battery life and/or enhance performance, at least one of them should have an effect, right? Or, you will have a 3x Ultra Super Placebo Deluxe which isn't bad at all

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I still don't understand what it does...

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Ps.

don't set limits to:
Code:
limits 0 500
... it simply won't work. With 125 and 250 blacklisted, device will still idle @ 500 - so, no harm, no gain - and without blacklisting 125 and 250, it may lock on some of them, under specific conditions.

"0" isn't proper value for CPU frequency. CPU underclock to effective 0 mhz via other mechanism (when idle), not controllable via kernel settings, at least currently.

If someone really want, limiting it to "500 500" will work, but device with limits 500-900 doesn't use more power in idle. In fact, when I measured it limited to 500 vs. limited to 900 for ~10 hours, limits on 900 used less power - ho ever, only by 30-40 mAh (during ~10 hours, not per hour).
Don't worry, took care of that.
I can guarantee that the device scales between 0 250 500 while idle

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I still don't understand what it does...
The patch reduces the CPU clock speed + voltage draw while being idle, reduces the vfs_cache_pressure value at idle, and "pauses" some greedy processes which suck a lot of battery juice while idle which theoretically shall increase battery life pretty good.

The patch also bumps the CPU to a higher CPU clock/voltage profile (or any Kernel-Power profile you want) directly when the phone is unlocked, resumes the processes that were paused while being idle, and resets the vfs_cache_pressure to 100 again.

Simply, your N900 will relax while being idle, and turn to ferocious beast once it's back on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
so anyone.please bother to help me
trisha02, please, babe, I'm begging ya, :'(

What is your *bleeping* problem?

Do you want to use karam's profile when your N900 is unlocked?
Is that your goal in life?

If that's your ultimate aim and you think that you will empower human civilization by that, open Xterminal:
Code:
root
leafpad /usr/local/bin/overclock
erase the first two lines ONLY, and replace them with:
Code:
kernel-config load <karam'sprofileinhere>
without the <>

Last edited by ammyt; 2011-09-05 at 15:56. Reason: CENSORED THE POST

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
As for SIGSTOP, it definitely *do* the job. The question is, if it provides more power-saving, than monitoring of dbus signals use Remember, that this way *every* dbus signal is monitored, and script only "act" on some of them - but, power/resources is/are used already, even to monitor "other" signals.

That may be cause of why, every measurement show a little more power usage, when power-saving scripts monitor dbus. As opposed to "perceived battery life"
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
The patch also bumps the CPU to a higher CPU clock/voltage profile (or any Kernel-Power profile you want) directly when the phone is unlocked, resumes the processes that were paused while being idle, and resets the vfs_cache_pressure to 100 again.

Simply, your N900 will relax while being idle, and turn to ferocious beast once it's back on.
hmmm...i'm using the conservative governor, will the ferocious unlock tweak work? i'm still transferring file(s) worth 3gb on my n900 so quite a few mins to test on this, thanks

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
installed the new patch. feeling better battery life already

The Following User Says Thank You to zurrain101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
hmmm...i'm using the conservative governor, will the ferocious unlock tweak work? i'm still transferring file(s) worth 3gb on my n900 so quite a few mins to test on this, thanks
I can tell that your doing an excellent job in my view. I don't know where did I read it before, but I've tested it, using the limits of 500 1150 with the conservative governor is the best usage in terms of battery vs. performance, so way to go.

To anyone wishing to use a different active profile:
1. Save the profile you want to use by:
kernel-config save xxx
2. leafpad /usr/local/bin/overclock
3. Replace the top most two lines starting by kernel-config with:
kernel-config load xxx