Notices

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
I love this phone - truly - I mean, look at my stupid username. But the media player is crap.

Can a computer genius explain to me why the media player is so skittish?

When I'm listening to music, it seems as if the media player has gobbled all the RAM and when an email/SMS/phone call happens, it's like a mini-earthquake in the phone. The 'new email' tone is cut off in the beginning, the music stutters. It's all very sad. It feels like the entire operation is a delicate house of cards.

The 'Now Playing' interface is completely uninspiring.

My DivX and xVid videos never play completely smoothly - they always seem to be somewhere around 20fps.

And, as someone else pointed out, the media player doesn't pause the music when a phone call comes in - how stupid is that??

It sucks because I was excited to ditch my N810, Blackberry and Cowon S9 for one device. And yes, it does all work, but shouldn't it work well?

So, can someone explain, in layman's terms, why the media player is such a resource hog. And is it fixable? And, if not, where the heck is Canola to save us from this mess?

I

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
I love this phone - truly - I mean, look at my stupid username. But the media player is crap.

Can a computer genius explain to me why the media player is so skittish?

When I'm listening to music, it seems as if the media player has gobbled all the RAM and when an email/SMS/phone call happens, it's like a mini-earthquake in the phone. The 'new email' tone is cut off in the beginning, the music stutters. It's all very sad. It feels like the entire operation is a delicate house of cards.

The 'Now Playing' interface is completely uninspiring.

My DivX and xVid videos never play completely smoothly - they always seem to be somewhere around 20fps.

And, as someone else pointed out, the media player doesn't pause the music when a phone call comes in - how stupid is that??

It sucks because I was excited to ditch my N810, Blackberry and Cowon S9 for one device. And yes, it does all work, but shouldn't it work well?

So, can someone explain, in layman's terms, why the media player is such a resource hog. And is it fixable? And, if not, where the heck is Canola to save us from this mess?

I
Media Player will pause the music if you get a call and are using Bluetooth headphones.

I use wired earbuds. Why would it be specific only to bluetooth? That makes no sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
And, I'm serious, I'd love an explanation from a programmer as to why the media player is so weak compared to the other great functions of this device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
And, I'm serious, I'd love an explanation from a programmer as to why the media player is so weak compared to the other great functions of this device.
And what would you have the "programmer" say. I am a programmer (though not for Nokia) I can offer you random excuse #23.

"We screwed up"

Happy?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
The media player is only the visible top layer of the multimedia framework, there are multiple layers below building a complete, powerful and flexible solution. Therefore, the problem is not the mediaplayer (well, only in terms of limited functionality, but IMHO it's quite ok at what id does, at least for my needs).
The main problem might rather be that the multimedia framework and its components such as gstreamer and pulseaudio are not yet perfectly optimized for the power of such a mobile device. OTOH, it gives developers such as me endless possibilites, such as seen in recaller, to build feature rich media applications with very little effort.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
I have to agree, i find the audio will jump when i'm browsing even the "lightest" of web pages, for such a powerful device it really is disappointing. Perhaps the next firmware will address the issue? I have installed other media players but they aren't much better.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
And what would you have the "programmer" say. I am a programmer (though not for Nokia) I can offer you random excuse #23.

"We screwed up"

Happy?
No - I'm serious when I said I'd be interested in an explanation - such as the cogent one that twaelti provided. No need to be defensive - I'm just trying to understand my deivce.

The Following User Says Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
I love my n900, but the quality of audio from media player is rubbish compared to my n82 ( using same headphones) and also it stutters when i get a text and the phone trys to chrun out the text alert tone. Also it says its playing one song while im actually listening to another.. gets confusing! deffinitly needs some tweaking

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post

"We screwed up"

Happy?
That really made my day
Great answer!

BR

Thomas

Tags
waiting impatiently