Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Thanks, that's valuable. So it's something in evaluating the condition.
This problem seems to be gone for good. It hasn't happened for couple of weeks now, despite the fact I gave up trying to get logs and haven't started the daemon from terminal.

Then about the background connection problem discussed earlier. Or actually the problem is probably not about the background connections setting at all.

I have issues about networking while not trying to use background connections, but only automatically used networks. When I e.g. switch availability on Skype or Facebook to online and then offline, the internet connection will almost every time stay on until I force it off, or leave the service area of Wi-Fi.

If using the mobile network connection, just setting different network mode (2G/3G/dual) doesn't cut unwanted connection.

This is really quite annoying, because it makes automatically used networks and background connections very unpleasant to use, if I don't want my phone to be connected to the internet all the time. Does every N9 work this way, or is there something special with mine?

The Following User Says Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Changelog:
* Fix: Internet connection mode
* Fix: NFC condition with multiple tags. Saving multiple tags fixed. Toggling with multiple tags fixed.
Available now in Nokia store.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Just to be sure after reading lots of pages and posts using search function: there is still no way to avoid the popup messages when detecting NFC tags?

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Just to be sure after reading lots of pages and posts using search function: there is still no way to avoid the popup messages when detecting NFC tags?
Unfortunately no.

Continued from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82899&page=11

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
TBH I'm not sure of too many others either, I know there's many other uses/profiles, but I only use a tiny fraction of them regularly.
Perhaps if I dug-up some more info. on BT profiles that would help?

Maybe, I just thought conditions based on use-case (i.e. profile being used) would be slightly better, but maybe it isn't.
Thank god I made some progress on this, so now I can catch the D-Bus messages that I was aiming at. This gives some hope for getting this to work, but I'm not yet fully in clear waters.

So far it seems to me that querying another Bluetooth device for its profiles requires more steps (= which means more power hungry too). So unless there's convincing arguments made why detection by Bluetooth addresses is not workable for peoples use cases, I'm going to pursue the simpler route.

The problem still is that I don't fully understand the use-cases. I've done a little testing with my two devices and if I understand correctly, the devices are always paired after initial pairing unless pairing is explicitly removed. The other signal that I'm watching is connected. I did some tests and seems connection is not made unless something is transferred. When I transferred a picture from one device to another a Bluetooth connection was made for the duration of the transfer, and then dropped.

The question I have for people wanting this condition, is what's their use cases? Is there more than the audio streaming? During audio streaming it's common sense the Bluetooth connection is "alive", so a condition on Bluetooth device's connection would fit well to that use case. But is there some other uses that requires something else?

There is also possibility to scan near-by Bluetooth devices, but I'm unwilling to include that as it's likely to be power hungry judging by how the APIs have been structured.

Oh I see, I hadn't considered that, hmmm...
Maybe some sort of check can be devised to warn users that they're creating a rule which will cause issues?
Or maybe that check could prevent them from creating that rule, PERIOD?
Now that I managed to make some advances using the D-Bus detection, I hope I won't even have to consider this approach. I haven't thought this through, but it might be a bit tricky to detect all kinds of loops that can be possible to create (using different combinations of rules).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
i think the useful scenario for Bluetooth conditioning would be to lauch something when it detected a certain device , like for example, if it connected to my car, i want it launch podcast app, or if it connected to Bluetooth headset, i would want it launch notes, or if it connected speakers, i would want it to launch music player, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
i think the useful scenario for Bluetooth conditioning would be to lauch something when it detected a certain device , like for example, if it connected to my car, i want it launch podcast app, or if it connected to Bluetooth headset, i would want it launch notes, or if it connected speakers, i would want it to launch music player, etc.
Oh god, I would KILL for this!
Unfortunately, even with my phone automatically connecting to my Car as soon as I start driving is GREAT!, I can't send "next music" or "play/pause" from the car, because the audio player on the phone isn't started...

Seriously, what an excellent idea... If it's doable of course

Later,
Chinoman10.

Edit: Where can I find the changelog for version 1.7.2? I updated to it today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chinoman10 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Chinoman10 View Post
Edit: Where can I find the changelog for version 1.7.2? I updated to it today.
Hi, I would also find that information useful
Thanks in advance!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Continued from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82899&page=11<SNIP>So far it seems to me that querying another Bluetooth device for its profiles requires more steps (= which means more power hungry too). So unless there's convincing arguments made why detection by Bluetooth addresses is not workable for peoples use cases, I'm going to pursue the simpler route.<SNIP>
Many BT devices support more than one BT profile, & often those profiles are for very different usages, hence it's likely users would want different things triggered.
I'm afraid I can't make a more convincing argument than that, it just seems logical that profile-based conditions would be more specific OR finer-grained.
But if you foresee too many issues with that I totally understand....

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
Yeah but in that instance, how would it know what sort of device it's connecting too, it'd have to rely on knowing what profile's kicking-in wouldn't it?
i.e. for Car: HFP or one of the car-centric profiles, & for Bluetooth headset: HSP, AD2P etc.

Unless there's some other way to know what sort of device is being connected? In which case that's great...
Perhaps we could even combine profile being used with device type that's connected, to get a finer-grained condition satisfaction.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-30 at 06:31.

Originally Posted by kkarioja View Post
This problem seems to be gone for good. It hasn't happened for couple of weeks now, despite the fact I gave up trying to get logs and haven't started the daemon from terminal.
Weird but good... if it starts to happen again at least you know how to get logs now.

I have issues about networking while not trying to use background connections, but only automatically used networks. When I e.g. switch availability on Skype or Facebook to online and then offline, the internet connection will almost every time stay on until I force it off, or leave the service area of Wi-Fi.
I remember reading something similar to this in regards that PR1.3 changed the behaviour somewhat. So you're probably using PR1.3.

As I'm always using network connections I don't have any personal experience on it. Maybe asking around in one of the PR1.3 threads could result in experiences from others.